PDA

View Full Version : The new Charlie Hebdo cover: All is forgiven!

Elspeth
01-13-2015, 05:10 PM
That's what the cover says. Of course, the NY Times isn't showing it, so here it is.
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/B7LjohvIUAAB6E2-491x650.png

Article below from the Times. (Their photo for the story is a pic of the Hebdo staff.)

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/01/13/arts/13charlie-1/13charlie-1-master1050.jpg

Charlie Hebdo’s New Issue Features Muhammad on Cover
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/arts/international/charlie-hebdo-staff-prepares-next-issue.html?smid=pl-share

PARIS — Around 9:10 on Monday evening, laughter and a round of applause broke out among the surviving staff members of Charlie Hebdo, followed shortly by cries — joyous if ironic — of “Allahu akbar!”

The group was cheering Rénald Luzier, a cartoonist known as Luz, who on the umpteenth try had produced what the editors thought was the perfect cover image for the most anticipated issue ever of this scrappy, iconoclastic weekly, which will appear on Wednesday. It showed the Prophet Muhammad holding a sign saying, “Je suis Charlie” (“I am Charlie”), with the words “All is forgiven” in French above it on a green background.

“Habemus a front page,” Gérard Biard, one of the paper’s top editors, said with a smile, emerging from the staff’s makeshift newsroom and deploying the phrase used to announce a new pope. To find the right image, he said: “We asked ourselves: ‘What do we want to say? What should we say? And in what way?’ About the subject, unfortunately, we had no doubt.”

...“We decided that we would do a normal edition, not a memorial issue,” Mr. Biard said on Friday, where an emotional three-hour staff meeting had just ended. Caterers brought in trays of smoked salmon, sandwiches and cream-filled desserts. A row of plainclothes police officers stood watch outside. Journalists hovered. Five desktop computers from Le Monde were set up on a round glass table. Since the attacks, donations have been pouring in, and a fund has been set up, jaidecharlie.fr (“I help Charlie”).

As the newsroom sprang to life on Friday afternoon, Mr. Biard reflected. “They killed people who drew cartoon characters. That’s it. That’s all these guys do. If they’re afraid of that,” what’s their god?, he asked, inserting an expletive for emphasis.

The logistics of putting out the paper were tricky. It had to file court requests to recover material from its office, now sealed off as a crime scene. With the help of Libération, Charlie Hebdo will print three million copies of the issue, compared with its usual 60,000 copies. The paper was also expected to be translated into several languages.

One idea was clear: keeping the staff members’ memories alive by publishing past work. The paper will run drawings by the five cartoonists killed: Stéphane Charbonnier, known as Charb, the paper’s editor; Jean Cabut, known as Cabu; Bernard Verlhac, known as Tignous; Georges Wolinski; and Philippe Honoré. They also planned to honor other victims, running work by Bernard Maris, an economist, and Elsa Cayat, a psychiatrist, who both wrote columns, and perhaps publishing an unedited column for Mustapha Ourrad, a copy editor.

“In this edition, they didn’t kill anyone,” Mr. Biard said. The staff members will “appear as they always did.” Asked what else would go in the paper, Patrick Pelloux, an emergency room doctor who also writes for Charlie Hebdo, said with a laugh: “Oh, I don’t know. Not much happening this week.”

Dan D. Doty
01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
In other words, the NYT is giving into terrorists without a fight.

Moonbat cowards. :curse:

noonwitch
01-14-2015, 10:00 AM
I've only seen the image online. I'll bet Bill Maher shows it on Friday night's show, though.

Dori
01-14-2015, 10:47 AM
They said the magazine sold out in six minutes this morning.

What does it mean by "all is forgiven"? I don't understand what they are saying.

txradioguy
01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
They said the magazine sold out in six minutes this morning.

What does it mean by "all is forgiven"? I don't understand what they are saying.

Imagine a bully who picks a fight and then gets his ass kicked and says "are we cool"?

Lanie
01-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Good for Charlie Hebdo.