PDA

View Full Version : Questions surround MLK parade finances

SarasotaRepub
01-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I know, I know. It's racist to "question" this... (http://www.tampabay.com/news/localgovernment/questions-surround-mlk-parade-finances/2214056):rolleyes:

Friday, January 16, 2015 10:40pm
Kameel Stanley,Times Staff Writer

Whispers about the city's annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. parade and accompanying Battle of the Bands competition have circulated for years:

Why isn't there a detailed public accounting of the events' finances? Exactly how has Sevell Brown, the main organizer, used the more than $500,000 in city funds and services over the past decade?

The questions grew louder recently when Brown prepared to ask the city for more money for this year's events, which begin this weekend.

"From day one, people have wondered whether any money was made and where it goes," said council member Wengay Newton, who has tried for years to get answers. "My constituency always asked, 'What do they do with proceeds from the event?' I know the event raises money because people are charged for things. You can't see numbers, you don't see what's being made, what's being lost."

I thought I saw Rev. Al yesterday...:biggrin-new::greedy_dollars: