PDA

View Full Version : Pick your 2008 World Series winner here

ralph wiggum
10-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that JB will pick the Rays. :D

Public poll to follow.

d_va
10-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Rays for B.J Upton and David Price, both local boys.

Also, I had a lot of fun at the Tampa Bay Busch Gardens last spring :p

patriot45
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Devil Rays all the way!!
It was sweet beating the smelly socks. That was a tough fight against a damn tough team!

Go Rays!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/october/TB_DevilRays.gif

JB
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I see we have four commies on this board so far.

Phillies in six.

LogansPapa
10-20-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't do sports anymore. :( Shannon squashed that out of me. :cool:

LibraryLady
10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Can't lose: Obama backs Rays, Phillies (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14750.html)

Mr. Wishy-washy

patriot45
10-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Can't lose: Obama backs Rays, Phillies (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14750.html)

Mr. Wishy-washy

Ha, I saw that. What a dork!

ralph wiggum
10-20-2008, 07:14 PM

Mr. Wishy-washy

How shocking of him! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Space Gravy
10-20-2008, 07:32 PM
No Joooooooooos? What kind of poll is this?

ralph wiggum
10-20-2008, 10:39 PM
No Joooooooooos? What kind of poll is this?

I considered putting it in for tradition's sake, but it's the World Series, and I wanted it to be a serious poll.

Bubba Dawg
10-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Da Phillies!!!!

Bongo55
10-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Can I be like obama and pick both?

But that is a perfect example of the one playing both sides and not taking a stand, this could be applied to several very important issues facing our country today.

For the record I pick the Rays in 6, but in the spirit of full disclosure, I live in Tampa. my son even has a Ray hawk. :)

marinejcksn
10-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I see we have four commies on this board so far.

Phillies in six.

I second that. Phils are gonna grab their first win since 1980.:cool:

Jack Ryan
10-21-2008, 09:53 PM
No idea but I do know Joe Blanton's dad so I will be pulling for the Phillies.

ralph wiggum
10-22-2008, 05:14 PM
I've been analyzing & agonizing over this series for days, and I've finally come up with my prediction.

Tampa has four solid starters in Kazmir, Shields, Garza & Sonnanstine. Cole Hamels is the probably the best current starter in the World Series, but I'm wary of Brett Myers, Moyer, etc. However, the Phils bullpen is far more solid than the Rays. If the Phillies can get 5-6 innings out of the starters, it could be lights out for Rays.

Yes, Tampa has been pounding the ball in the postseason. They have two bona-fide sluggers in Pena & Longoria, and Upton has been on fire as of late. The Phils counter with a lineup full of solid guys. Howard is streaky, Utley & Burrell are studs, and Werth, Victorino have been excellent.

Phillies in 7 games.

JB
10-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Phillies in 7 games.Ruh-Roh Raggy.

You were...White Sox, Cubs, Dodgers.

I do not like the way this is going. :D

Shannon
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Ruh-Roh Raggy.

Heh.:p

ralph wiggum
10-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Ruh-Roh Raggy.

I had to pick someone!

2-0 Phillies after the top of the 1st, Utley goes deep!

Bubba Dawg
10-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Okay. i didn't know this about the Devil Rays home field, that there are ground rules for some overhead catwalks making it a homerun if a fair ball is hit there, and other overhead catwalks a ground rule double if a fair ball is hit there.

Maybe it doesn't happen often, but that's weird.

ralph wiggum
10-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Very good Game 1. Some outstanding pitching, and the Phillies escaped a couple of key errors and the worthless hitting of Rollins & Howard.

marinejcksn
10-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks for ruining the game for me Ralph, I was just set to watch the replay of it on Armed Forces Network out here....I avoided hearing the score all morning for this! :mad:

lol anyway glad to hear they won though, 1 game down! They couldn't get anything big going with the bats today?

ralph wiggum
10-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for ruining the game for me Ralph, I was just set to watch the replay of it on Armed Forces Network out here....I avoided hearing the score all morning for this! :mad:

lol anyway glad to hear they won though, 1 game down! They couldn't get anything big going with the bats today?

Sorry! I should have started a separate thread about discussion of the games. I will do that going forward so you can avoid the spoilers.

marinejcksn
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Sorry! I should have started a separate thread about discussion of the games. I will do that going forward so you can avoid the spoilers.

It's all good! Had they lost, I would've been ticked. lol

JB
10-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Very good Game 1. Some outstanding pitching, and the Phillies escaped a couple of key errors and the worthless hitting of Rollins & Howard.It was a good game. Could have went either way.

Rays hit into a couple killer double plays and the Phils did not hit. Typical for them when Hamels pitches.

Could be tied up after tonight depending on whether or not Myers (Phillies) has a great game or decides to blow up like he has from time to time recently.

Ralph, you know anything about Ryan Madsen. Phils eighth inning guy now. Two years ago he couldn't get me or you out, now he's acting like Mariano Rivera. He's lights out now. He clearly sold his soul for another shot. :p

ralph wiggum
10-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Ralph, you know anything about Ryan Madsen. Phils eighth inning guy now. Two years ago he couldn't get me or you out, now he's acting like Mariano Rivera. He's lights out now. He clearly sold his soul for another shot. :p

Failed starter who has found his niche as a middle reliever. He's always had a good fastball, but in the past it was a little flat. I'd compare him to a Kyle Farnsworth type. He should be solid now, but the future is iffy.

JB
10-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Failed starter who has found his niche as a middle reliever. He's always had a good fastball, but in the past it was a little flat. I'd compare him to a Kyle Farnsworth type. He should be solid now, but the future is iffy.It's the transformation that has me scratching my head.

Yes, failed starter. Yes, middle relief junk innings guy. I would have traded him for a bag of balls two years ago. But now he owns the 8th and he has a 97 MPH fastball and thinks he's the second coming of Dennis Eckersley (sans that Gibson thing). It's a strange game.

marinejcksn
10-24-2008, 12:49 AM
GD Phillies! :mad:

JB
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Quick thread kick to let the 7 Rays communists know that it's 2-1 in favor of the good guys.

Game 4 in a few hours. To be honest, I don't have a good feeling about tonight.

Shannon
10-26-2008, 04:11 PM
To be honest, I don't have a good feeling about tonight.

Good.

Phillygirl
10-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Quick thread kick to let the 7 Rays communists know that it's 2-1 in favor of the good guys.

Game 4 in a few hours. To be honest, I don't have a good feeling about tonight.

Hush you...don't jinx it!! :mad:

JB
10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Good.My personal prediction was Phillies in six with tonight being our second loss.

Then we win game 5 at home and clinch with a game 6 win on the road. You should get tix to game 6 so you can watch the Phillies celebrate.