PDA

View Full Version : The Politics Of The Hunger Games

NJCardFan
03-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't know if any of you either read the books or saw the movies but after seeing the first 3 films(I plan on reading the books as I'm told they're very good) I find the political allegory interesting. Whether or not Suzanne Collins meant for any political message to be taken from the stories but even if it's by accident, the message is clearly a conservative one. Let's take a look. In the story, North America is sort of dystopian society called Panem broken up into districts ruled by a president in The Capitol. Each district is designed to provide a good or service(one district is shown to be in the lumber industry) for the Capitol. As you would expect, some districts have it better than others depending on what industry is in that district. Each district is run by an oppressive police force called Peace Keepers(sound familiar?). Communication between districts is forbidden in order to prevent any organized uprisings. All communication is run by the Capitol. Speaking of the Capitol, this is a place for the elites. A population of less than 1% of the population of Panem who live high on the hog to say the least. Better than the Inner Party from 1984. Think of Beverly Hills. This is a pretty good idea of what these people look like. In the name of entertainment, 2 kids are chosen from each district( 1 make, 1 female) to take part in the Hunger Games with the winning district getting food.

Now, where the political comes is from how Panem is run. Communication is regulated by the Capitol and the president. Free speech is non-existent and any diversion from the rules is met with swift justice, usually death. The government controls production by forcing the population of each district to partake in whatever industry assigned to them. Not to mention that, like the Soviet Union, only a small % of the population enjoy the high life. Everyone else is stuck where they're out and the only way out is to be a winner of the Games. This is as progressive/leftist a government as there ever was in real life history. Those who end of rising up do so for freedom for all. This is a conservative message. I suggest you watch these movies and see if you agree. The funny part is that many of the actors in them are as leftist as they come. Julianne Moore, Donald Sutherland, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, to name a few are as far left as they come. I'm betting the irony is lost on all of them.

Retread
03-09-2015, 03:44 PM
In reading the books you will get the message even stronger. So far I have refrained from watching the movies as I have been continually disappointed in the humongous changes from the original in any movie made from a book I've read.

So many things you've skipped over re: messages I got from the book and I'm totally unsure whether they were there or snipped completely from the film version. I will refrain from posting any more so as not to spoil either process from those who neither read the books or seen the movies.

NJCardFan
03-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Well, I just basically gave the cliff notes version of things but I'm looking forward to reading the books. They're free on Kindle.

noonwitch
03-10-2015, 09:10 AM
The comparison I think of when I saw the first movie was more South Africa under apartheid. They had Pretoria and Sun City for their wealthy and the semi-rural, third world areas like Soweto for the poor. The society in Hunger Games had futuristic technology and the poverty was not a race-based, post-colonial thing like in SA, but there were some parallels I could see.

I also see it as commentary on reality television-if Survivor was literally about the survival of the contestants, and they got to kill each other off.