PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama's mom was wary about her daughter marrying a man of mixed race

Elspeth
03-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Michelle Obama's mom was wary about her daughter marrying a man of mixed race – but not 'as much as had he been completely white'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3000396/Michelle-Obama-s-mom-wary-daughter-marrying-man-mixed-race-not-completely-white.html#ixzz3UtZBOhUE

Marian Robinson said she had reservations about her future son-in-law
The statement forms part of a new biography of Michelle Obama
The book, which is due out next month, uncovered an old TV interview
During the interview, Mrs Robinson explained her fears concerning race
She said she would have been worried had Mr Obama been entirely white

A new biography of Michelle Obama has revealed that her mother was initially suspicious of her future son-in-law because he was of mixed race.

Barack Obama's father was from Kenya and his mother was a white woman. His parents met in Hawaii although his father abandoned his family when the future president was aged just two.

The claim is contained in a new biography of the First Lady written by Washington Post correspondent Peter Slevin.

However, despite her initial reservations, Marian Robinson, 77, was soon won over by the high-flying lawyer who had serious political ambitions.

As part of his research into Mrs Obama's life, Mr Slevin uncovered an interview with WTTW's 'Chicago Tonight' show where Mrs Robinson addressed the issue of race....

Elspeth
03-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Michelle Obama’s Mom: Well, Okay, As Long As He’s Not ALL-White
http://dailycaller.com/2015/03/18/michelle-obamas-mom-well-okay-as-long-as-hes-not-all-white/

...This doesn’t matter, because Obama didn’t marry a white woman. If this was some old white lady expressing reservations about her daughter marrying a man of proud African-American heritage, that would be different. If this was some dumb redneck cross-burner saying, “Well, at least he’s not all-black,” that would be different. Because it just would.

Still confused, teabagger? Let me dumb it down for you: It would be racist if a white person said it about someone of a different race. In this case it’s not racist, because a black person said it about someone of a different race.

This isn’t racism. This is just common sense. Everybody knows that whites are the enemy. Because they’re white. They have the same skin color as other people who’ve done bad things. That means they’re bad too.

What’s racist about that?

If anything, Marian Robinson is to be commended for her tolerance in allowing one of those people into her family. And if you have a problem with that, you need to take your cracker ass to Starbucks for some re-education.

In sum: According to Michelle Obama’s mom, Barack is one of the good ones.

noonwitch
03-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Like both sets of parents in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, I think that with parents of children entering into marriages with people of different races, there is some concern about how society will treat the couples and their children. The Obamas were married a while ago, and Michelle's mother is in her 70s. Things have changed since she was young and since her daughter married Obama.

SVPete
03-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Like both sets of parents in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, I think that with parents of children entering into marriages with people of different races, there is some concern about how society will treat the couples and their children. The Obamas were married a while ago, and Michelle's mother is in her 70s. Things have changed since she was young and since her daughter married Obama.

Hmmmm ... Mrs. Robinson has some 17 years on me, but things have changed a lot in the past 5 or 6 decades. If she hasn't recognized and digested that - over those same 5 or 6 decades - she has problems. And Michelle would have been raised in that culture; that doesn't automatically mean she would have believed it, fully, but some of the things she's said suggests that Michelle is at least somewhat prejudiced against "white" people.

It could be said that I'm in a semi "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" situation, with prospects of one or two more such situations. My son married a woman of a "different race" (she's as human as he is, so I think "race" needs to be retired from the whole ethnic-nationality mural). Mrs. SVPete and I had no qualms welcoming her to our family: literally; NONE. We may have surprised her a bit with the immediacy and warmth of our welcome, but we really wanted her to be sure, even during their engagement, that she was being and would be received as family. Her parents, who were born and raised outside of the US, were initially (and for quite a while) less than receptive of my son, but I think they've mostly come around. My daughter is attending university in China, so ...

noonwitch
03-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Hmmmm ... Mrs. Robinson has some 17 years on me, but things have changed a lot in the past 5 or 6 decades. If she hasn't recognized and digested that - over those same 5 or 6 decades - she has problems. And Michelle would have been raised in that culture; that doesn't automatically mean she would have believed it, fully, but some of the things she's said suggests that Michelle is at least somewhat prejudiced against "white" people.

It could be said that I'm in a semi "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" situation, with prospects of one or two more such situations. My son married a woman of a "different race" (she's as human as he is, so I think "race" needs to be retired from the whole ethnic-nationality mural). Mrs. SVPete and I had no qualms welcoming her to our family: literally; NONE. We may have surprised her a bit with the immediacy and warmth of our welcome, but we really wanted her to be sure, even during their engagement, that she was being and would be received as family. Her parents, who were born and raised outside of the US, were initially (and for quite a while) less than receptive of my son, but I think they've mostly come around. My daughter is attending university in China, so ...

"Mixed" marriages and relationships were still pretty controversial in the 80s, when I was a teen and young adult. I can remember going to a local restaurant with a black male friend (no romance, no romantic behavior at all) and getting stared at by everyone in there. It probably didn't help that it was a Dennys. My sister and one of her black, male friends were totally harrassed at school over a friendship-kids leaving notes in their lockers, threats all kinds of crap. The staff intervened at points, but still, it was pretty ugly.

My dad has come a long way, too-he never would have allowed me to date a black man when I was a teen. He would not have a problem with it 30+ years later.

SVPete
03-23-2015, 05:17 PM
"Mixed" marriages and relationships were still pretty controversial in the 80s, when I was a teen and young adult. I can remember going to a local restaurant with a black male friend (no romance, no romantic behavior at all) and getting stared at by everyone in there. It probably didn't help that it was a Dennys. My sister and one of her black, male friends were totally harrassed at school over a friendship-kids leaving notes in their lockers, threats all kinds of crap. The staff intervened at points, but still, it was pretty ugly.

My dad has come a long way, too-he never would have allowed me to date a black man when I was a teen. He would not have a problem with it 30+ years later.

nw, sometimes I wonder if I was raised in a different country or continent.

Lanie
03-23-2015, 10:48 PM
Racism runs on both sides.

It's funny to have the reminder that Obama is white though. Everybody forgets that.

noonwitch
03-24-2015, 09:26 AM
nw, sometimes I wonder if I was raised in a different country or continent.

If you grew up in California, you did!

I grew up mostly in the 70s, I graduated from high school in 1982. I also didn't grow up in metro Detroit, which was and is still a very segregated area, but the burbs are more integrated today than when I moved here in 1987. I grew up in Grand Rapids, 150 miles or so west of Detroit. I had black female friends as a kid, but my dad would have been very uncomfortable with me dating a black guy when I was younger. I dated a black guy in Grand Rapids, right before I moved this way, but I never introduced him to my dad. Now, I could do so and my dad would be okay with it.

linda22003
03-24-2015, 09:33 AM
I remember having this conversation with the head of the medical office at a large corporation where I worked; we were talking about interracial relationships (theoretical, since we were both already married). He posited that my parents would be unhappy if I brought a black man, like him, home. I laughed and said that no, my parents would be unhappy if I brought a white guy from the company's mailroom home. But a black, Yale-educated cardiologist? They would be FINE with that. :biggrin-new: