PDA

View Full Version : Bid to make Bible official book of Tennessee unconstitutional

RobJohnson
04-14-2015, 05:23 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. Tennessee's attorney general says a bill seeking to make the Bible the state's official book would violate separation of church and state provisions in the federal and state constitutions.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/13/apnewsbreak-state-ag-says-bid-to-make-bible-official-book-tennessee/

noonwitch
04-14-2015, 08:53 AM
I have to agree with TN's Attorney General. A state or government in the US shouldn't make a religious text their "official book".

I'm sure there is some famous writer from TN with a novel that is set in the state, or a history book about the state that would be more appropriate.

NJCardFan
04-14-2015, 11:15 AM
I have to agree with TN's Attorney General. A state or government in the US shouldn't make a religious text their "official book".

I'm sure there is some famous writer from TN with a novel that is set in the state, or a history book about the state that would be more appropriate.

Please point out in the U.S. or Tennessee Constitution where it says separation of church and state. I'll wait.

Lanie
04-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Please point out in the U.S. or Tennessee Constitution where it says separation of church and state. I'll wait.

I don't know about the state constitution, but it is against the federal one.

But you know what? The heck with it. Let's make the Protestant bible the official book in TN. And no, your feelings as a Catholic don't matter.

Rockntractor
04-14-2015, 12:26 PM
States don't need state books anyway, who started all this crap? State this state that, why don't they stick to governing, they are always short of operating cash and time but they have plenty of time for this crap.
Tennessee's state book is a traffic ticket book like most states.

noonwitch
04-14-2015, 02:12 PM

I didn't say it said so in either document. I was expressing my opinion that they shouldn't make a religious text the state book. I certainly don't want Michigan to choose either the Bible or the Koran as the "state book".

RobJohnson
04-15-2015, 05:46 AM

I agree 100%.

NJCardFan
04-15-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't know about the state constitution, but it is against the federal one.

But you know what? The heck with it. Let's make the Protestant bible the official book in TN. And no, your feelings as a Catholic don't matter.

Um no, it is not. Unless you have an abridged version of the U.S. Constitution you're not going to find the term "separation of church and state" in any shape, way, or form. So, if you have evidence to the contrary, please post it here. And please research every single one of my 17,114 posts and find anywhere where I ever stated that I am in any way Catholic.

ttomm46
04-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Um no, it is not. Unless you have an abridged version of the U.S. Constitution you're not going to find the term "separation of church and state" in any shape, way, or form. So, if you have evidence to the contrary, please post it here. And please research every single one of my 17,114 posts and find anywhere where I ever stated that I am in any way Catholic.

I'm Orthodox and the Bible is fine with me..there is no implied separation of Church and state....Just not a state run church....:cool:

Lanie
04-16-2015, 12:35 PM

I thought you were Catholic. My apologies. It was determined in courts that we have separation of church and state. Oh that's right. If they don't agree with you, then they're activist judges.