PDA

View Full Version : California College Counselor Advises Students to Be ‘Less Asian’

Elspeth
06-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Poor Asians. Too smart and successful to be "minorities" and engage in identity politics. Here, there are being encouraged to stop having an Asian identity at all in order to get into college.

California College Counselor Advises Students to Be ‘Less Asian’
http://collegeinsurrection.com/2015/06/california-college-counselor-advises-students-to-be-less-asian/
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2015/06/11/tiger-moms-beware-college-counselor-advises-students-to-be-less-asian/

n the midst of a heated lawsuit alleging Harvard holds Asian students to a much higher standard during its admissions process, some college admissions counselors in California and elsewhere are coaching Asian American students to appear “less Asian” in an attempt to help them be accepted into the nation’s most elite schools.

The Wall Street Journal recently dubbed Asians “The New Jews of Harvard Admissions,” referring to the antisemitism the school practiced in order to keep Jews out of the school during the early 2oth century.

“I try to do things [to] steer away from the stereotype of the piano-playing, tennis-playing Asian applicant,” James Chen, the founder of Alameda-based Asian Advantage College Consulting, said in an interview with Sacramento-area ABC News affiliate News10. His services cost parents of college-bound students close to $15,000 if they start during the child’s sophomore year of high school...

Elspeth
06-13-2015, 08:09 PM
Student with perfect ACT score rejected by Ivy League colleges: Guess his ethnicity …
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/22682/

If you clicked on this link it’s because you wanted to confirm what you already knew – he’s Asian American.

Even his perfect ACT score, 13 Advanced Placement courses, a 4.67 weighted grade point average (second in his class), a 2230 on his SATs, participation in national speech, debate and math competitions, plus his piano and choir talents – all that – could not land Michael Wang a spot in the Ivies, Business Insider reports.

“An Asian-American, Wang suspected his race might work against him,” Business Insider notes, “but he was still shocked when he was rejected by Stanford and every Ivy League school except for the University of Pennsylvania.”

As The College Fix reported, Wang filed complaints against Yale and Princeton in 2013 after they rejected him, and he stated at a press conference in Washington D.C. last month announcing a new complaint by other Asian Americans against Harvard that his accomplishments – second in his class, high scores all around and many extracurriculars – should have made him a lock for admission.

“I’m not here to brag about my achievements,” Wang said, describing the “helpless” feeling he had reading rejection letters. harvardasian.gregpiper

“I can’t change who I am. Being Asian is part of my identity and something I should be proud of,” Wang said. But when schools set quotas against Asian Americans, they learn that “everyone is equal but some people are more equal than others.”

Wang is not alone. Yesterday the Boston Globe reported that to get into elite colleges, some Asian-American students are advised to “appear less Asian.”

“Some call it ‘the bamboo ceiling’ of racial quotas, telling stories of Asian-American students with perfect SAT scores and GPAs turned down by elite colleges who limit the number of Asians they will admit, effectively forcing them to face a higher bar for admissions than other racial groups, including whites,” the Globe reports. “In response, groups of Asians have filed lawsuits against top schools, including one on May 15 by a coalition accusing Harvard and other Ivy League institutions of using racial quotas to admit lesser qualified candidates over Asians.”

Dori
06-13-2015, 08:48 PM
This needs to stop. Why can't they just give them a number when they apply without names and race?

SVPete
06-14-2015, 03:01 PM
The story of Michael Wang - I didn't have to check the story to know his family name is Chinese - is insane!

"Full disclosure" my DIL's family name is one letter different from Michael's.

Not that that matters. The guy earned an acceptance letter from any/every college to which he applied, and I don't give a @#$% how many "whites", "blacks", Hispanics, Venusians, or Neptunians he beat out. He. Earned. Acceptance.

Dori's idea is spot-on. Take ethnic heritage and sex out of the acceptance process. Her idea is also either illegal, outright, or would result in any university that dared do that losing any/all Federal funding.