PDA

View Full Version : Does The SCOTUS Realize The Corner It Painted Itself Into?

NJCardFan
06-26-2015, 11:57 PM
By overruling the 10th Amendment on gay marriage they essentially open the door for lawsuits regarding guns and concealed carry reciprocity. The next time someone comes to NJ and is arrested a la Shaneen Allen, they can now stand on this ruling. I hope the NRA is paying attention.

linda22003
06-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Serious question, so don't jump me: if this were going to happen, why would it not have already? The SC decided yesterday's case the same way they decided Loving v. Virginia in 1967 - that the type of marriage (interracial) that was valid in some states needed to be valid in all of them. That was almost fifty years ago, so the type of case you are positing could have happened any time since then, under the circumstances you describe.

NJCardFan
06-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Serious question, so don't jump me: if this were going to happen, why would it not have already? The SC decided yesterday's case the same way they decided Loving v. Virginia in 1967 - that the type of marriage (interracial) that was valid in some states needed to be valid in all of them. That was almost fifty years ago, so the type of case you are positing could have happened any time since then, under the circumstances you describe.

Don't know how Loving vs Virginia is worded but in this case they basically ruled that the 14th amendment trumps the 10th amendment. By saying that the 14th amendment trumps all then they can expect lawsuits proclaiming that our right to keep and bear arms is open in all corners of this country meaning all of the restrictive gun laws in places like DC, Chicago, NY, NJ, and others are, by their definition, unconstitutional especially when it comes to conceal/carry reciprocity. If I'm licensed in one state and the SCOTUS just ruled that one law in one state is carried by all then I'm free to carry my firearm in all 50 states without problems. So, thanks to this ruling, Shaneen Allen, Steffon Josey-Davis, and others like them now have grounds for lawsuits for their 14th amendment rights being violated.

Dori
06-27-2015, 01:18 PM
The court said you can murder your unborn child under the right to privacy rule. If they can do that, they can do anything.

Retread
06-27-2015, 05:04 PM
The court said you can murder your unborn child under the right to privacy rule. If they can do that, they can do anything.

And you can bet the farm it won't be any relaxation of gun control, registration or confiscation. That may well be the new direction all this hope and change is coming to.

Apache
06-27-2015, 10:17 PM
And you can bet the farm it won't be any relaxation of gun control, registration or confiscation. That may well be the new direction all this hope and change is coming to.

The 1st... and MR/Mrs Sulu is setting course....

Get ready folks.....the storm is coming