PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guard ending search for Florida teens; private hunt continues

SarasotaRepub
07-31-2015, 03:18 PM
By Jason Hanna, CNN
Updated 2:51 PM ET, Fri July 31, 2015

(CNN) The Coast Guard says it has done all it could to find teen boaters Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos.

But their families say a private hunt for the 14-year-olds will press on.

The Coast Guard's weeklong search for the two Florida teens, who went missing at sea during a burst of severe weather on July 24, will stop at sunset Friday, after an extensive coastal search that extended from southern Florida to North Carolina, Capt. Mark Fedor told reporters in Miami.

LINK
(http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/world/florida-missing-teens-boat/index.html)

These two kids should have never been out there alone unless they
had other people with them or one of those emergency transmitters
that go off when wet.

I'm really shocked the parents let these two go offshore in the Atlantic.

I hope they find them but at this point I wouldn't bet on it.

oldcoastie1
07-31-2015, 03:26 PM
The Coast Guard should have made it a recovery mission instead of a SAR mission.

noonwitch
08-04-2015, 09:22 AM
They're shark meat, now. kid

I live in the Great Lakes region-lots of parents around here trust their kids with boats, especially on the smaller, inland lakes. But the big lakes can be as dangerous as the ocean and colder, just no sharks. Kids drown in the lakes here every year because their parents thought they could handle more than they really could handle. The kids in this case went out when a storm was approaching-the first thing a kid should learn is to check for and heed small craft warnings.

oldcoastie1
08-04-2015, 09:43 AM
The Great Lakes can have conditons worse than any ocean. In the lakes, there's not enough distance to have any spacing between the waves, unlike in the oceans.

noonwitch
08-04-2015, 01:16 PM
The Great Lakes can have conditons worse than any ocean. In the lakes, there's not enough distance to have any spacing between the waves, unlike in the oceans.

The Southfield fire chief is missing (assumed dead) after he dived into Lake St. Clair over the weekend to retrieve a hat, although in this case, they think he was hit by a drunk boat driver. Lake St. Clair in the summer is not particularly dangerous, except for the bacteria, that is.