PDA

View Full Version : McCain May Tap Alaska Governor For VP Spot.

Gingersnap
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
McCain VP Search Heads to Alaska

A tipster tells Wizbang's Kevin Aylward that Arthur Culvahouse -- who is heading up McCain's vice presidential search team -- is in Alaska:

...There's only one reason he would be there - to meet with Alaska Governor Sarah Palin about the Vice President position.

This comes on the heels of McCain's Memorial Day weekend barbecue attended by Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, former White House budget director Rob Portman, and Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman. Supposedly that was in informal affair, not a vetting session, but it appears that the VP selection game is very much afoot.

We were on the Palin bandwagon early, and Fred Barnes profiled Palin nearly a year ago. In many ways, Palin is an ideal choice: a governor, a woman, a conservative, a Christian, a budget-cutting fiscal hawk known for opposition to pork-barrel projects. And even as Alaska governor who favors drilling in ANWR, she is known for standing up to 'Big Oil.'

Would McCain really make such an unorthodox selection? And does the fact that Governor Palin merits a clandestine visit, rather than an invitation to McCain's VP cattle call indicate that she is a more serious candidate than the others, or is it simply because Palin gave birth just over a month ago?

He must not know that she's an actual conservative. :eek:

The Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/05/mccain_vp_search_heads_to_alas_1.asp)

Aklover
05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Better than Lieberman or Graham. Governor Sanford would be a great idea too.

LibraryLady
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
She has a lot of great qualities but I am concerned about her five children including a new baby with Down Syndrome.

Zeus
05-29-2008, 03:12 PM
She has a lot of great qualities but I am concerned about her five children including a new baby with Down Syndrome.

Plenty of room at Number One Observatory Circle for them all. ;)

Space Gravy
05-29-2008, 07:50 PM

Agreed. Being a Gov. in a relatively off the radar State is one thing, Vice President is a whole other kettle of fish. I couldn't imagine putting small kids through that with how nasty politics, blogs and the media have gotten.

TandT
05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
He must not know that she's an actual conservative. :eek:

The Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2008/05/mccain_vp_search_heads_to_alas_1.asp)

WHAT ... JESSE VENTURA WASN'T THERE .. :(

Eyelids
05-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Better than Lieberman or Graham. Governor Sanford would be a great idea too.

“…In the Obama candidacy, there is a potentially history-making quality that we should reflect on. It is one that is especially relevant on the sensitive topic of race — because South Carolina and the South as a whole bear a heavier historical burden than the rest of our country on that front,”

far too sensible.

Aklover
05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
“…In the Obama candidacy, there is a potentially history-making quality that we should reflect on. It is one that is especially relevant on the sensitive topic of race — because South Carolina and the South as a whole bear a heavier historical burden than the rest of our country on that front,”

far too sensible.

You fucking tards are the ones that make an issue of race. Conservatives have no issue voting for a black Republican so long as he is not preaching entitlement culture or kill whitey.

Hollingswort
05-30-2008, 08:22 PM
They already think if he loses, it will be because of racism, not because he's an empty suit. There has probably never been a weaker candidate put forth than Obama.

I think he's just looking at her as a courtesy, and it is partly because she's a woman. A lady on the ticket could attract disgruntled Hillary Clinton voters if Obama gets the nod.

If Hillary is somehow nominated, it would be for balance. But not the AK governor - she's already got a full plate and AK is a little state in EVs.

mike128
06-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Please see post below. My mistake.

mike128
06-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Nevermind, Gingersnap. Disregard my last post. I found the source, myself.

Governor Sarah Palin must be a true social conservative. Here's the link:

From WorldNetDaily.com:
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=64876

Actions speak louder than words. A truly amazing story.

I still need to know her stances on other social issues first, but so far, so good.

lacarnut
06-02-2008, 01:09 AM

far too sensible.

You mean that left wing liberal Democrap that attended and listened to a racist preacher for 20 years who preach hate. The south bears no historical burden; you dumbass. Name me a country that blacks have more opportunity, a better standard of living, higher educational facilities, more freedom. You should be glad you live in the greatest country in the world. I guess an ingrate like you will always see the glass as half empty. It's the way dummies in the Democratic party's think.

Eyelids
06-02-2008, 02:07 AM
You mean that left wing liberal Democrap that attended and listened to a racist preacher for 20 years who preach hate. The south bears no historical burden; you dumbass. Name me a country that blacks have more opportunity, a better standard of living, higher educational facilities, more freedom. You should be glad you live in the greatest country in the world. I guess an ingrate like you will always see the glass as half empty. It's the way dummies in the Democratic party's think.

Do you honestly think Barack Obama hates white people?

Aklover
06-02-2008, 02:12 AM

Hate might be a bit strong possibly even inaccurate. He probably views himself as a elite and thus we are only worthy of pity and contempt unless its election time.

ddoyle
06-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Am I the only one out there who would love to see John Kasich--- can reference being budget director that actually got spending in line and is also from Ohio. I would love to see this gutsy pick.

Goldwater
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
McCain may "tap" Alaska governor?

Eyelids
06-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Hate might be a bit strong possibly even inaccurate. He probably views himself as a elite and thus we are only worthy of pity and contempt unless its election time.

As the president of the United States he better be elite.

Odysseus
06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
As the president of the United States he better be elite.

Not so much elite as elitist. Frankly, aside from an ability to regurgitate teleprompter notes, Obama hasn't displayed anything that makes me think that he's qualified to run a bake sale, much less the United States. He has no executive experience, no business experience, no military experience, and the largest organization that he's ever run was his senate staff. Regardless of ideology, anyone with those thin credentials would be eaten alive by the Washington bureaucracy. Throw in his ideological bent towards appeasing our enemies, a complete lack of economic understanding and an inner circle that includes the very worst of the radical left (domestic terrorists, racial arsonists, etc.) and you have a candidate who is so unfit for office as to defy description.

Eyelids
06-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Not so much elite as elitist. Frankly, aside from an ability to regurgitate teleprompter notes, Obama hasn't displayed anything that makes me think that he's qualified to run a bake sale, much less the United States. He has no executive experience, no business experience, no military experience, and the largest organization that he's ever run was his senate staff. Regardless of ideology, anyone with those thin credentials would be eaten alive by the Washington bureaucracy. Throw in his ideological bent towards appeasing our enemies, a complete lack of economic understanding and an inner circle that includes the very worst of the radical left (domestic terrorists, racial arsonists, etc.) and you have a candidate who is so unfit for office as to defy description.

How much business experience has John McCain by had? By his own admission he doesnt get the economy. Being a crummy pilot is not a reason to make somebody president. Military backgrounds mean jack-shit, theres a reason we have generals. Obama ran the most often cited law review in the world, thats executive experience.

Obama has said nothing about appeasing anyone, do you know what appeasing means?

Rebel Yell
06-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Obama don't hate white people. He would love to, but half his family is white. He has said himself that he heald contempt for hi white relatives. He has alot of self hate, perhaps he should convert to Judaism. His self loathing would fit in better with the jews anyway.

Eyelids
06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Obama don't hate white people. He would love to, but half his family is white. He has said himself that he heald contempt for hi white relatives. He has alot of self hate, perhaps he should convert to Judaism. His self loathing would fit in better with the jews anyway.

I have contempt for a lot of white people, doesnt mean I hate them. Same goes for blacks, hispanics, asians etc. (I dont know any Eskimos though). Just because I dont like some people doesnt mean I make sweeping generalizations about entire races and ethnicities. If I did that I'd be a Republican.

Odysseus
06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
How much business experience has John McCain by had? By his own admission he doesnt get the economy. Being a crummy pilot is not a reason to make somebody president. Military backgrounds mean jack-shit, theres a reason we have generals.

This is objectionable on so many levels that it's hard to decide where to start. First off, while I agree that McCain's economic understanding leaves a lot to be desired (for example, he agrees with Obama and Hillary far to often on Cap and Trade, Global Warming, Open Borders and a host of other idiocies), the disparaging of McCain's military service is truly astonishing. As a carrier pilot, he was one of the elite of an already elite force. Carrier landings are among the most dangerous operations in all aviation, requiring tremendous nerve and skill to land a high-performance, supersonic aircraft in what can only be described as a controlled crash. To call him a "crummy pilot" is absurd. Second, while military service is not always a good indicator of presidential capability (Jimmy Carter was a naval officer, after all), the capacity to make difficult decisions under stress is one of the characteristics of leadership. In that area, his flight status notwithstanding, McCain's military service included years of torture by the NVA, during which time he exhibited a strength of character that Barack Obama cannot hope to match. In fact, given how fast Obama has dropped his lifelong associations with his church, his pastor and his radical friends for political expediency, it's unlikely that the NVA would have had to torture him to get him to betray his country, they'd have just shown him how it polled. The man has no spine whatsoever.

Obama ran the most often cited law review in the world, thats executive experience.

No, it's editorial experience. Executive experience refers to service in the executive branch of government. Both McCain and Obama lack this, unfortunately, but at least McCain has had real responsiblity. The presidency is about administrating the world's largest bureaucracy, executing the laws of the United States, conducting the day to day operations of running the nation and foreign policy. Nothing in Barack Obama's career has prepared him for this. At best, Obama was good at playing the law-school game, but that doesn't make him a great administrator, or even a good leader. As a commander, John McCain has been responsible for the lives of his subordinates in combat and in captivity. That is the ultimate responsibility, far greater than editing articles by law students. Comparing the editorship of the Harvard Law Review to being a carrier pilot and a POW of a barbaric and vicious enemy is laughable.

Obama has said nothing about appeasing anyone, do you know what appeasing means?

I know exactly what it is, but apparently you are in need of a lesson. Appeasement is the policy of accepting the imposed conditions of an aggressor in lieu of armed resistance, usually at the sacrifice of principles, although in the case of Obama, the principles are difficult to identify, beyond a vague belief in hope. Obama doesn't have to use the word in order to conduct himself as an appeaser. His response to global jihad is to withdraw from the battlefield and cede it to the enemy, which is their stated demand. He has said that he will meet, without preconditions, with the leaders of Iran, North Korea, Syria, etc., despite the fact that these nations are outlaw states that provide support for terrorists, and which have given aid and comfort to those who have murdered Americans. One cannot help but wonder what he hopes to negotiate with Ahmedinejad. Perhaps he would offer our withdrawal from the Middle East in return for a pledge to only wipe half of Israel off of the map?

Just because I dont like some people doesnt mean I make sweeping generalizations about entire races and ethnicities. If I did that I'd be a Republican.

So, if you make sweeping generalizations about entire political parties, what does that make you?