PDA

View Full Version : How Dinesh DíSouzaís Political Views Have Changed Since Being In Confinement

Elspeth
08-05-2015, 10:38 PM
I'm very worried about this guy.

How Dinesh DíSouzaís Political Views Have Changed Since Being In Confinement
http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/04/dsouza-trumps-presence-in-race-is-very-positive/#ixzz3hzyEFeiG

...DD: Well, for 25 years, Iíve been inhabiting a conservative intellectual universe, in which Iíve been debating ideas back and forth, and you could say Iíve been an American idealist and Iíve participated in debates over liberty versus justice and equality of opportunity versus equality of results, and this is American politics from the 25,000-foot viewpoint. Itís engaging in ideas, but looking down into the world, trying to make the world conform to ideas. Now, the beauty of being in a confinement center was that my fellow convicts donít see the world that way at all. They see the world from the ground up. And a lot of the idealistic debates are BS. Theyíre diversions that take away from what really motivates people. And people donít sit around making decisions about liberty and justice, at least these people donít. They sit around basically trying to figure out how to get money. And so theyíre motivated by elemental human passions, and their view is that thatís how the world really works: clever people figure out how to disguise that by talking about ideals, so this is going to be, call it, the Machiavellian view of American politics. Machiavelli says about the ancients that they talk constantly about imaginary republics that have never been known to exist. In other words, they talk about the way things ought to be, instead of the way they actually are. So, to me, the enlightening thing about being in that world is that it forced me to find out the way things actually are, not the way I want to see, but the America that is here now.

Did this experience change any of your previously political views?

DD: It didnít change my underlying philosophy. On certain topics, I would say I have a different view than I used to. For example, here in the federal system, between 95 percent and 99 percent of people who are accused of crimes are convicted. If you told me this a year ago, I would have said, ďYeah, thatís because 95 to 99 percent of people are guilty. Obviously the cops arenít going to arrest people who are not guilty, and so it is undisturbing that the vast, vast majority of people who are accused are convicted.Ē But that statement is based on idealism. Itís not actually based on a real look about how the process works. When you look at how the process works, it is possible and highly probable that people who have done nothing wrong will get prison sentences. They get prison sentences because it is rational for them to plead guilty on plea bargains when they are facing alternative sentences that would destroy their lives. Iím a little bit less glib about that than I would be, so I have modified my thoughts about that and other topics. But mostly, Iíve modified my angle of vision so that Iím a little less pointy-headed than I used to be, and my defense of America today is not just a defense of America as it ought to be but a defense of America as it is, and itís a defense of America the country, not a defense of the American government.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/04/dsouza-trumps-presence-in-race-is-very-positive/#ixzz3hzyvWyDC