PDA

View Full Version : Military Ballots Being Rejected in Virginia

Odysseus
10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Military Ballots Being Rejected in Virginia (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=29181)
by Connie Hair
Posted 10/24/2008 ET
Updated 10/24/2008 ET

Fairfax County Registrar Rokey Suleman is disqualifying an overwhelming majority of the military federal write-in absentee ballots received in his county on the basis that no address had been given for those witnessing the voter signatures on the ballots. According to Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and four former members of the military who held a press conference on Thursday, over 98 percent of these military absentee ballots in Fairfax County are being rejected.

“The federal write-in absentee ballot is a federally mandated ballot that allows military service members and their dependents to cast an absentee ballot when they haven’t received a [state] ballot before the election,” Herrity said. “For them it’s a safety net. It allows them to vote if the mail truck hasn’t reached his or her remote base in Iran or Afghanistan in time to cast a regular absentee ballot.”

When asked how many ballots had been rejected, Herrity responded, “Out of the 260 military federal write-in ballots received to date, only five included an address for the witness. The other 255 have been set aside for rejection.”

On page two of the Voters’ Declaration/Affirmation-Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) at the very bottom of the form is the signature block for the “Witness/Notary and Address (if required)”. Note the instructions given to Virginia service members, “Block 7: Sign and date in the presence of a witness. The witness must sign and date the form.”

That’s it. No instruction given on any requirement for the witness to give an address. This has resulted in only 2 percent of the military ballots received to date including an address for the witness.

Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA) released a written statement, “The Fairfax County registrar is going to great lengths to register voters in the county jail. It is shameful he is going to even greater lengths to disenfranchise our men and women in uniform.”

Davis is referring to a voter registration drive conducted by Suleman in county detention centers. Calls to Suleman’s Fairfax office resulted in automatically being put on hold. I stayed on the line at one point out of curiosity and was kept on hold for over an hour before hanging up.

Calls to Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell’s office were returned immediately. Spokesman David Clemenson said, “We are aware of this situation and are working to ensure all proper votes cast are counted. We are concerned about all eligible voters but can’t comment further at this time.”

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=29181

Jailbirds can vote, but Soldiers can't. Glad to see that the registrar knows his core constituencies.

marinejcksn
10-27-2008, 11:13 PM
That's ok, Rokey. We'll step & fetch for you out here in Iraq all year long....just set them votes to the side. :rolleyes: Effing douchebag should eat a barrage of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps fists straight to the face.

I heard the Great One Mark Levin mention this yesterday on the online stream of his show from Friday, thanks for providing the source story Sir.

Side note: the overwhelming majority of the military is voting for McCain. Coincidence? I'm sure. :mad:

AmPat
10-28-2008, 03:06 AM
This happens every election. It was particularly bad during the incessant recounts in Florida during 2000. Seems the military votes weren't necessary to decide the election yet a couple hundred hanging chads were, but only DIMocRAT chads.

I'm certain that if the write in ballots were historically DIMocRAT, the ballots would be counted.:mad:

DIMocRATS are only concerned with disenfranchised LIBERALS, Conservatives don't count.:cool:

crockspot
10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
The DUmmies love to go on about how Republicans try to suppress the vote, and commit voter fraud. Yet the only people we can actually point to who suppress votes and commit fraud are all Democrats. Project much?

Odysseus
10-28-2008, 01:47 PM
That's ok, Rokey. We'll step & fetch for you out here in Iraq all year long....just set them votes to the side. :rolleyes: Effing douchebag should eat a barrage of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps fists straight to the face.
I heard the Great One Mark Levin mention this yesterday on the online stream of his show from Friday, thanks for providing the source story Sir.
Side note: the overwhelming majority of the military is voting for McCain. Coincidence? I'm sure. :mad:
Now, if those voters were in the brig, they'd have had their votes counted. The SOB made sure that he did a voter registration drive at the county jail. The liberal mindset is clear: Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen can be discounted, but felons must be given the opportunity to vote.

This happens every election. It was particularly bad during the incessant recounts in Florida during 2000. Seems the military votes weren't necessary to decide the election yet a couple hundred hanging chads were, but only DIMocRAT chads.
I'm certain that if the write in ballots were historically DIMocRAT, the ballots would be counted.:mad:
DIMocRATS are only concerned with disenfranchised LIBERALS, Conservatives don't count.:cool:
Of course conservatives don't count. To liberals, the only ideas that are worth hearing are theirs, the only votes that should be counted are theirs and the only policies that should ever be implemented are theirs. That's why they'll silence conservatives but ensure free speech for terrorists, conduct voter fraud and use every trick that they can think of in order to ensure that government stays on the course that they've set.

Teetop
10-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Another moonbat slapped by reality. (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=29220)

McDonnell Opinion: Count all Absentee Military Ballots

Opinion Finds Federal Law Preempts State Law; Federal Ballots without Witness Address Are Lawful, Must be Counted

FAIRFAX - Attorney General Bob McDonnell released a formal opinion today concluding that federal absentee ballots from overseas military voters lacking the printed name and address of a witness must be counted. The opinion affirms that federal law preempts state law, thus clarifying the state and federal statutes regarding the issue. The confusion centered over whether a state law requiring a witness’s printed name and address controls federal absentee ballots or the federal law governs this issue. The opinion was requested by Delegate Bill Janis (R-Henrico).

In the formal opinion the Attorney General finds, “It is…. my opinion that the applicable provision of Virginia law, Sec. 24.2-702.1(B), interpreted to require an overseas military voter submitting only a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot to include the printed name and address of the person who signs the witness statement is preempted by the provisions of the (federal) Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. Finally, it is my opinion that general registrars may not reject a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot submitted by overseas military voters for the November 4, 2008 federal election that does not include a printed name and address for the person who signs the witness statement…..”

Approximately 100 Federal Write-In Absentee Ballots have been set aside in Fairfax County pending a legal conclusion regarding the discrepancy between state and federal law. Additional Federal Write-In Absentee Ballots may also have been received in other jurisdictions. The Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot is most commonly used by members of the military who are stationed overseas and have not received a state absentee ballot. It is a means by which service members can be guaranteed a vote in federal elections.

A copy of this formal opinion was provided to the State Board of Elections this afternoon.

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
If you're too stupid to figure out a ballot, then you're too stupid to vote. Thats our method of voter screening...

3rd-try
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
If you're too stupid to figure out a ballot, then you're too stupid to vote. Thats our method of voter screening...

You're really a worthless piece of crap. They are the reason you can say what you say in public without being put in the stupid home.
But, I guess you're against the awful repugs who actually want things like picture ID's and maybe a valid address in the district they're attempting to vote in, right?

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 05:49 PM
You're really a worthless piece of crap. They are the reason you can say what you say in public without being put in the stupid home.
But, I guess you're against the awful repugs who actually want things like picture ID's and maybe a valid address in the district they're attempting to vote in, right?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-markovits/tipping-the-scales----up_b_138508.html

These people are equally stupid. If you cant fill out a simple government form without fucking it up you have no business taking part in our electoral process.

JB
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
If you're too stupid to figure out a ballot, then you're too stupid to vote. Thats our method of voter screening...What's that have to do with the OP?

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 06:21 PM
What's that have to do with the OP?

Fairfax County Registrar Rokey Suleman is disqualifying an overwhelming majority of the military federal write-in absentee ballots received in his county on the basis that no address had been given for those witnessing the voter signatures on the ballots. According to Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and four former members of the military who held a press conference on Thursday, over 98 percent of these military absentee ballots in Fairfax County are being rejected.

If you leave things blank on a government form you're gonna have to deal with whatever comes out of it. I thought they taught you how to read directions in the military?

Odysseus
10-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Actually, your method of voter screening doesn't even involve checking for a pulse, but that's beside the point. Personally, I'd love to hand blank ballots out to everyone and make them write in the names of the candidates that they're voting for. That would eliminate the illiterate. We also shouldn't allow the homeless to vote, based on the fact that someone who can't feed, cloth or house himself has no business directing the nation's policies. That also goes for welfare recipients, for the same reason, plus the fact that if you're receiving public assistance, you have a conflict of interest in voting for those who set the budget priorities. Finally, ballots should only be in English, since by law, all naturalized citizens must demonstrate proficiency in English to qualify for citizenship. The sole exception would be Spanish on ballots in Puerto Rico, where it is the official language.

If you leave things blank on a government form you're gonna have to deal with whatever comes out of it. I thought they taught you how to read directions in the military?
No, they require that we know how to read before we join, unlike a lot of colleges that I could name. The directions on the military ballot don't require an address for the witness. It's not a federal requirement, it's only a state requirement. The registrar is applying state law to federal ballots, which is illegal. You'd know this if you'd bothered to read the entire article, but I guess that the reading comprehension bit wasn't your strongest score on the SATs.

AmPat
10-28-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-markovits/tipping-the-scales----up_b_138508.html

These people are equally stupid. If you cant fill out a simple government form without fucking it up you have no business taking part in our electoral process.

I'm one of those people and I assure you that I am smart enough to figure it out. I have been voting absentee for 21 years. The problem is the stupid people in the local election offices. They seem to believe that they alone have the power to decide the accuracy of the ballots. If you have a problem with stupid voters, direct your comments to the correct audience. I suggest forwarding those comments to every liberal /DIMocRAT site you can. Remember Florida?

MrsSmith
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM

On page two of the Voters’ Declaration/Affirmation-Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) at the very bottom of the form is the signature block for the “Witness/Notary and Address (if required)”. Note the instructions given to Virginia service members, “Block 7: Sign and date in the presence of a witness. The witness must sign and date the form.”

That’s it. No instruction given on any requirement for the witness to give an address. This has resulted in only 2 percent of the military ballots received to date including an address for the witness.

The ability to read is sadly lacking in today's trolls.

biccat
10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
The federal forms didn't require an address of the witness, so there was no space for it.

The state requires the address of a witness in order to be valid.

When soldiers filled out the federal forms and sent them to the state, the state rejected the forms because there was no address of the witness. The state Attorney General properly informed the state election board that current law requires the state to count the votes, because Federal law trumps state law.

Elspeth
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Military Ballots Being Rejected in Virginia (http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=29181)
by Connie Hair
Posted 10/24/2008 ET
Updated 10/24/2008 ET

“The federal write-in absentee ballot is a federally mandated ballot that allows military service members and their dependents to cast an absentee ballot when they haven’t received a [state] ballot before the election,” Herrity said. “For them it’s a safety net. It allows them to vote if the mail truck hasn’t reached his or her remote base in Iran or Afghanistan in time to cast a regular absentee ballot.”

When asked how many ballots had been rejected, Herrity responded, “Out of the 260 military federal write-in ballots received to date, only five included an address for the witness. The other 255 have been set aside for rejection.”

Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA) released a written statement, “The Fairfax County registrar is going to great lengths to register voters in the county jail. It is shameful he is going to even greater lengths to disenfranchise our men and women in uniform.”

Davis is referring to a voter registration drive conducted by Suleman in county detention centers. Calls to Suleman’s Fairfax office resulted in automatically being put on hold. I stayed on the line at one point out of curiosity and was kept on hold for over an hour before hanging up.

Calls to Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell’s office were returned immediately. Spokesman David Clemenson said, “We are aware of this situation and are working to ensure all proper votes cast are counted. We are concerned about all eligible voters but can’t comment further at this time.”

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?print=yes&id=29181

Jailbirds can vote, but Soldiers can't. Glad to see that the registrar knows his core constituencies.

The Herrities are crooks. The daddy, Jack Herrity, sold out his area to developers and turned much of the place into a goddamned slum. His poorly achieving children seem to be following in his footsteps.

Odysseus
10-28-2008, 09:13 PM
The Herrities are crooks. The daddy, Jack Herrity, sold out his area to developers and turned much of the place into a goddamned slum. His poorly achieving children seem to be following in his footsteps.

You mean, by pointing out that the Fairfax County registrar is illegally ditching military ballots?

marinejcksn
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
If you cant fill out a simple government form without fucking it up you have no business taking part in our electoral process.

I filled out my absentee ballot, nowhere on their did it say we had to include an address for the witness. It's a bullsh*t tactic to render military votes null and void. Luckily, I voted in a state without such fascist tendencies. :mad:

JB
10-28-2008, 10:57 PM
The ability to read is sadly lacking in today's trolls.I wasn't sure if he was going to go for it or not!

He's as dumb as I thought he was.

AmPat
10-29-2008, 01:56 AM

There is no requirement to have a witness signiture unless somebody assisted you in filling out the ballot. Since an OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of military are literate and intelligent, the problem must be elsewhere. Most likely a reading comprehension problem in the registrars office.

I suspect most of these problems are present only where DIMS/LIBS are present.:cool:

Sonnabend
10-29-2008, 03:22 AM

Those absentee votes are military and many of them may be for soldiers overseas.

Another example of DEMOCRAT voter suppression. Oh and Lids...thin ice.Watch what you say.

marinejcksn
10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
There is no requirement to have a witness signiture unless somebody assisted you in filling out the ballot. Since an OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of military are literate and intelligent, the problem must be elsewhere. Most likely a reading comprehension problem in the registrars office.

I suspect most of these problems are present only where DIMS/LIBS are present.:cool:

I know in my personal experience the only time I needed a witness signature this year was when I registered to vote again because I wanted to change my party to Independent. When my absentee ballot arrived, nowhere on it was there a requirement for a witness signature. Libs are grasping at straws on this one to explain this dimb-bulb's actions which cheated our brothers and sisters out of the right that we in uniform PROVIDE.:mad:

AmPat
10-29-2008, 04:19 AM
I know in my personal experience the only time I needed a witness signature this year was when I registered to vote again because I wanted to change my party to Independent. When my absentee ballot arrived, nowhere on it was there a requirement for a witness signature. Libs are grasping at straws on this one to explain this dimb-bulb's actions which cheated our brothers and sisters out of the right that we in uniform PROVIDE.:mad:

I'm looking for an old ballot from a primary that I never mailed. It is identical to the general election I just mailed. If I find it I will attempt to scan it. Lids is so deep up Liberal rectum that he won't accept it but I love proving his stupidity to all the rest.

Eyelids
10-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Those absentee votes are military and many of them may be for soldiers overseas.

Another example of DEMOCRAT voter suppression. Oh and Lids...thin ice.Watch what you say.

This has nothing to do with them being soldiers, quit trying to frame it that way.

In Florida in 2000 a bunch of idiots voted for Buchanan instead of Gore or didn't punch their ballot all the way. Their votes shouldn't count because those people were too stupid to figure out how to vote.

These absentee ballots are exactly the same, if you cant properly fill out a ballot you have failed the one test a citizen has to pass to vote.

Sonnabend
10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Their votes shouldn't count because those people were too stupid to figure out how to vote.

These absentee ballots are exactly the same, if you cant properly fill out a ballot you have failed the one test a citizen has to pass to vote.

These people are soldiers and have passed far greater tests and challenges...and they protect your right to vote and the freedom to exercise it.

biccat
10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
This has nothing to do with them being soldiers, quit trying to frame it that way.

In Florida in 2000 a bunch of idiots voted for Buchanan instead of Gore or didn't punch their ballot all the way. Their votes shouldn't count because those people were too stupid to figure out how to vote.

Have you ignored the other posts? The ballots were filled out properly, it's just that the Feds had different ballots from the State. The state said the Federal ballots weren't sufficient, and got slapped down.

Eyelids
10-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Have you ignored the other posts? The ballots were filled out properly, it's just that the Feds had different ballots from the State. The state said the Federal ballots weren't sufficient, and got slapped down.

They didn't fill out the ballot completely. That's what happened.

If you're too stupid to fill out a form you're too stupid to vote. I dont care what your job is.

Odysseus
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
It has everything to do with them being Soldiers. The military goes about 5:1 Republican during a normal election cycle. During this one, when you're running a pacifist loon against a genuine hero, it's going to run even higher.

The absentee ballots were filled out correctly. The registrar is deliberately misinterpreting the law in order to disallow military ballots. What part of that do you not understand?

Yes, he's ignoring the other posts, just like he's ignored everything else that doesn't fit into his worldview. What surprises you about that? :rolleyes:

They didn't fill out the ballot completely. That's what happened.
If you're too stupid to fill out a form you're too stupid to vote. I dont care what your job is.
Once again, they did fill out the ballots completely. The registrar is distorting the law.

I don't know why we bother talking to you about this. You're impervious to the facts and will continue spewing Obama campaign talking points until you run out of air. :rolleyes:

biccat
10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Block 7. AFFIRMATION. Ensure that you read the oath,sign, and enter the date you completed the form in thespaces provided. Not all states require a witness or notary,and state laws vary regarding the voting of convicted felons.Consult your state section of the Voting Assistance Guide oryour Voting Assistance Officer for your state's requirements.
Direct from the source.
http://www.fvap.gov/resources/media/fwab.pdf

JB
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't know why we bother talking to you about this. You're impervious to the facts and will continue spewing Obama campaign talking points until you run out of air. :rolleyes:There is no reason to continue to reply to him. He's been schooled repeatedly on the issue.

He's just being a dick. You know, like always.

Odysseus
10-29-2008, 05:15 PM
There is no reason to continue to reply to him. He's been schooled repeatedly on the issue.
He's just being a dick. You know, like always.
Misinformation must be countered or it will be perceived as truth. Every time Eyelids responds with his deliberate cluelessness, we have to set the facts out. It sucks, but that's the world that we live in.

MrsSmith
10-29-2008, 07:44 PM

Blinky...

http://freethoughts.org/archives/not_listening.JPG

megimoo
10-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Misinformation must be countered or it will be perceived as truth. Every time Eyelids responds with his deliberate cluelessness, we have to set the facts out. It sucks, but that's the world that we live in.
Standard strategy for the nubnuts on the left.Counter attack at once .Obscure,mock,disguise or dissemble .The moment someone post anything of a Conservative political bent or anti obama material either LP Cw Wilbur,or the dreaded eyeBall counter posts .

Odysseus
10-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Standard strategy for the nubnuts on the left.Counter attack at once .Obscure,mock,disguise or dissemble .The moment someone post anything of a Conservative political bent or anti obama material either LP Cw Wilbur,or the dreaded eyeBall counter posts .

Exactly. We can relax and stop repeating the truth about them when they stop lying about us.

Lanie
10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Like every military person's address could not be found since it is on records. What a BS excuse. :(

wineslob
10-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Eyelids, how does it feel to have the baseball bat called FACTS shoved up your ass?

SaintLouieWoman
10-30-2008, 04:57 PM

He's lower than that. It's a shame that our brave men and women in the military put their lives on the line for "people" like him. I'm posting from work, so must mind my language.

Think I'll take double blood pressure medication til the election and beyond.