PDA

View Full Version : Russian fighter jets enter Syria with transponders off

SarasotaRepub
09-25-2015, 09:05 AM
By Barbara Starr (http://www.cnn.com/profiles/barbara-starr-profile) and Ross Levitt, CNN
Updated 8:21 AM ET, Fri September 25, 2015

Washington (CNN)A U.S. official told CNN Thursday that Russian fighter jets turned off their transponders as they flew into Syria in an apparent attempt to avoid detection. The official said the fighters flew very close to a transport plane that had its transponder on and functioning.

U.S. satellites rapidly saw that the aircraft were there, according to the official.

The assessment over the weekend was that the fighter jets were on their way. The same official said the Russians have begun flying drones around the coastal city of Latakia.

With no ISIS fighters in the area, the move raises serious questions about the Russians' intentions with their military buildup, which the U.S. has questioned the purpose of and watched with wariness. The action points to a higher likelihood that the Russian plan is to prop up Syrian President Bashar al-Assad rather than fight the terror group.

I'm sure this is all an accident and the Russians thought the jets
were going to the Bahamas, it happens ya know! :rolleyes:

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/24/politics/syria-russian-fighter-jets/index.html)

Apocalypse
09-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Bashar al-Assad is a monster, so I don't want any one to misunderstand what I'm saying.

But at this point, I'm pulling for the Russians here. Defeat the rebels and keep Assad in power. You can no longer tell a difference of any kind from those who are fighting Assad for freedom and those looking to make Syria an ISIS nation. The list of groups working with ISIS is longer then those we can even trust.

Rockntractor
09-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Bashar al-Assad is a monster, so I don't want any one to misunderstand what I'm saying.

But at this point, I'm pulling for the Russians here. Defeat the rebels and keep Assad in power. You can no longer tell a difference of any kind from those who are fighting Assad for freedom and those looking to make Syria an ISIS nation. The list of groups working with ISIS is longer then those we can even trust.
No misunderstanding here, I agree with you.
We have been on the wrong side of a lot lately.

Dori
09-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Putin did an interview with Charlie Rose on 60 Minutes

When it was put to him that he was trying to save the Assad administration, Putin said: 'You are right and it is my deep belief that any actions to the contrary in order to destroy the legitimate government will create a situation which you can witness now in the other countries of the region.

'For instance in Libya where all the state institutions are disintegrated. We see the similar situation in Iraq and there's no other solution to the Syrian crisis than strengthening the effective government structures and rendering them help in fighting terrorism.'

While Putin did not mention America by name, he was likely making reference to the US-led military interventions in both Iraq and Libya which first toppled Saddam Hussein, and then helped to remove Colonel Gaddafi from power.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3248474/Smiling-Putin-takes-American-TV-Russian-President-insists-not-Tsar-supports-Syrian-dictator-Assad-war-against-ISIS-rare-60-Minutes-interview.html#ixzz3mrlD9WUm