PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin effigy hanged from house

Sonnabend
10-28-2008, 04:36 AM
There is no question as to what the reaction would have been had it been an effigy of Obama :rolleyes: (http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/hanged-by-a-noose-palin-attacks-go-to-another-level/2008/10/28/1224955990851.html)

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/10/28/palinhanging1_narrowweb__300x459,0.jpg

A mannequin portraying US Republican vice-presidential nominee Alaska Governor Sarah Palin hangs by a noose as a mannequin portraying US Republican presidential nominee Senator John McCain protrudes from the chimney of a private residence in West Hollywood.

A mannequin dressed to resemble the Alaska governor, with her trademark beehive hairdo and glasses, was hung by the neck from the eaves of the home in West Hollywood.

An effigy of US Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin hanging by a noose as part of a Halloween display has drawn severe criticism, but local officials said the homeowner was covered by free speech rights.

On the roof, a mannequin of Republican presidential candidate John McCain protruded from the chimney surrounded in flames, holding his head as he was apparently burned alive.

"We have been getting some phone calls complaining about it but if (the homeowner) isn't in violation of municipal code we have no reason to cite them," West Hollywood spokeswoman Helen Goss said.

"People have First Amendment rights (to free speech)," Goss said. "I would speculate that if it's part of a Halloween display then its political satire."

Homeowner Chad Michael Morisette told local KCAL-TV the display should be considered Halloween "art" and said his neighbours would probably be more offended by a similar scene invoking Democrat Barack Obama.

"I know if we had done Barack Obama, people would have probably thrown things through our windows," Morisette said. "The image of a hanged black man is a lot more intense than the image of a hanged white woman for our country, the history of our country."

Earlier a cardboard likeness of Obama was strung up from a tree at an Oregon university and an Ohio man who told local media he didn't want to see an African-American running the country hung a ghostly figure bearing an Obama sign from a tree in his yard.

If he wins the November 4 election, Obama will be the first African American to become US president.

West Hollywood is known for its large gay population and its liberal politics. It hosts a large and flamboyant outdoor Halloween parade each year. Palin, who is seen as more conservative than running-mate McCain, has been a lightning-rod of criticism from the left since her nomination to the ticket. Reuters

Care to comment, Eyecysts? Would they be saying this had ":free speech rights" if it had been him in effigy?

Or would everyone be screaming "RACIST"?....of course they would.

HYPOCRITES :mad::mad:

marinejcksn
10-28-2008, 06:00 AM
See Sonna, what I believe and I really think this is true; these libs are laughing their asses off behind closed doors because they know they can do whatever they want to images of Palin and a war hero named McCain and if we respond, we're racists. :rolleyes:

If Barry Sotero and Senile Joe win the White House I don't ever want to hear from morons like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton ever again. I want it declared on the front page of every newspaper in the country that Racism has been declared officially over in America on January 21st, 2009 if we give the highest position in the nation to this idiot marxist.

wilbur
10-28-2008, 06:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26872774/

Sonnabend
10-28-2008, 07:21 AM
As wilbur is too cowardly to post the entire story, allow me to indulge.

NEWBERG, Ore. - Students and school leaders at a small Christian university expressed outrage Wednesday at the discovery of a life-size cardboard effigy of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama hanging from a tree on campus.

A custodian at George Fox University discovered the effigy early Tuesday and immediately removed it, President Robin Baker said. University spokesman Rob Felton said Wednesday that the commercially produced reproduction had been suspended from the branch of a tree near Minthorn Hall with fishing line around the neck....we're waiting.

The hanging of the effigy around the neck is seen as racist symbolism because it harkens back to lynchings of black men by white mobs, especially in the U.S. South, decades ago. Obama is aiming to become America's first black president.DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!We have a WINNER.....now to borrow from the story above...

An effigy of US Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin hanging by a noose as part of a Halloween display has drawn severe criticism, but local officials said the homeowner was covered by free speech rights.Whats the matter wilbur...did I hit too close to home for you..hmmm?

"We will not tolerate such displays and condemn it in the strongest terms," Baker said. "George Fox University is committed to becoming a place that more broadly represents the Kingdom of God — a place where students from diverse backgrounds come together to live out the teachings of Jesus in our world."I note that said condemnation was not forthcoming for the Palin effigy..gee I wonder why....:rolleyes:

Taped to the cardboard cutout of Obama was a sign that read "Act Six reject." Act Six is a scholarship program geared toward increasing the number of minority and low-income students at several Christian colleges, mostly in the Northwest.Sounds to me like someone isnt too happy with "affirmative action"...but he was exercising his First Amendment rights..isnt that right wilbur??? Eyelids???

The school has 17 students in the program, whose name derives from the New Testament book of Acts. All but one are members of minority groups, Felton said.Students in the program receive full scholarships and are selected on the basis of leadership potential.All but one are minorities and chosen for "leadership potential"..hmmm...

Baker met with the students in the Act Six program late Tuesday and addressed the student body Wednesday at the school's regular chapel service.Baker told students he was "disheartened and outraged." "It has been my dream to establish a university that more adequately represents the kingdom of God," he said. "This act causes some to question our commitment."How about this one,Mr Baker. First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye." ...

Newberg police Sgt. Tim Weaver said officials are working with the university to find out who was responsible. He also said the police department has notified the U.S. Secret Service, although it's not clear yet whether the act was a crime.So this doesnt fall under First Amendment rights? Or is it because the effigy was black that everyone has a case of the vapours....I smell hypocrite....:mad:

Brad Lau, a university vice president, said school officials have been questioning students for leads. He and other school officials wouldn't say what action it might take.How about none? After all, it's covered by the First Amendment.

Right??

RIGHT???

Several students in the Act Six program said they are angry but do not feel threatened."To me, I just felt like they weren't ready to have a black person be president," said Courtney Greenidge, a sophomore. "We're trying to bring change. Obama's trying to bring change." She described herself, like Obama, as biracial: half black, half white.So to you, Obama should be President because he is black and for no other reason.If he is as capable as you would have us believe.,.why this accent on his skin colour?

She also said that overall, the campus has a welcoming and positive environment, but that she has heard comments along the lines of, "Oh, I wish I was black. Then I could get a scholarship like that."Truth hurts, doesnt it? Got news for you sweetie...discrimination on the basis of skin colour, black or white is racism. But it's okay to discriminate against white people and to you that isnt racism?

You really just dont get it..do you?

George Fox University's campus is in Newberg in the Willamette Valley south of Portland. About 1,800 students are enrolled. It also has centers in Portland; Salem; and Boise, Idaho. Felton said that about 2 percent of the students are black and about a quarter of the freshman class belong to minority groups. That number includes international students, largely from Asia and Africa. Who have, and will, learn nothing..except how to use one of these.

http://sableverity.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/race_card.gif

wilbur
10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure how they do things out there in the outback.... but one was on public property, the other is on private property. One act infringed on the property rights of someone else, the other didn't. Learn the difference.

I pointed out the story b/c you were sitting around acting like no one would dare do this to Obama... more importantly, you are hoping to do the same shit for palin/mccain that you are bemoaning about Obama. Namely, you want them to be presented as downtrodden victims who courageously rise above it all in spite of their inhuman, vile oppressors. Thats a play right out of the racebook if I ever saw one! It's all rubbish.

Burnings or hangings in effigy is a pretty common thing... but most arent such public displays.

Sonnabend
10-28-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure how they do things out there in the outback....Never having lived there, I have no idea. Fly in and ask 'em sometime.

but one was on public property, the other is on private property. One act infringed on the property rights of someone else, the other didn't. Learn the difference.Wrong answer and deliberatley missing the point.. If one is protected under First Amendment, why isn't the other?

Hmmmm?

I didn't know the First Amendment was predicated on whether it was public or private property. Show me where it says that?

I pointed out the story b/c you were sitting around acting like no one would dare do this to Obama... more importantly, you are hoping to do the same shit for palin/mccain that you are bemoaning about Obama.The word is hypocrisy. Learn it.

Namely, you want them to be presented as downtrodden victims who courageously rise above it all in spite of their inhuman, vile oppressors. Thats a play right out of the racebook if I ever saw one! It's all rubbish. So are your excuses. Wassamatta, wilbur, did I hit too close to home for you?

Burnings or hangings in effigy is a pretty common thing... but most arent such public displays.But one is fine, the other is "racist"

Like I said.

Hypocrite.

wilbur
10-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Never having lived there, I have no idea. Fly in and ask 'em sometime.

Wrong answer and deliberatley missing the point.. If one is protected under First Amendment, why isn't the other?

The first amendment doesnt guarantee you the right to do whatever you wish on someone else's property.

If I hang a candidate in effigy in my neighbors lawn, I will probably have police knocking on my door. If I do on mine, there will probably be a fuss about it, but no one can make me take it down.

Sonnabend
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
The first amendment doesnt guarantee you the right to do whatever you wish on someone else's property.

Doesn't make it racist either. Bottom line...the fuss isn't where it was hung, its what was hung and its the conclusions that are being reached and its the double standards being applied.

You are still ignoring that.

If I hang a candidate in effigy in my neighbors lawn, I will probably have police knocking on my door. If I do on mine, there will probably be a fuss about it, but no one can make me take it down.

And you ignore the point yet again.