PDA

View Full Version : Texas Secretary of State:Texas Early Voting Week 1 Results Encouraging News for GOP

megimoo
10-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Texas Early Voting Week 1 Results – Encouraging News for GOP

The Texas Secretary of State reports early voting statistics for the counties with the largest population. A quick analysis of their data shows the following trends:

There is a huge increase in Texas’ early voting turnout – about 65 percent – from 1 million at this point in the 2004 election to 1.75 million this year.

After only one week, the early vote stands at 39 percent of State’s entire 2004 election turnout.

The early voting increase is greatest in Houston area – up 110 % compared to 2004.

This is likely due to in part to Hurricane Ike (people voting when they can as they are still cleaning up after the storm). The turmoil in the energy market also probably plays significant role – oil prices are falling and the Democrats are responsible for obstructing domestic oil exploration. The energy industry is a huge part of the Houston economy.

Excluding Houston and its Western Suburbs as outliers, early voting is up by:

44 percent in counties carried by John Kerry in 2004

57 percent in counties where George Bush received 50-60 percent of the vote (primarily Dallas and San Antonio)

55 percent in counties where George Bush received more than 60 percent

Despite the much heralded Democratic voter enrollment drives, the number of registered voters hasn't changed much in four years – and has actually increased most in areas carried by Bush in 2004. The SoS reports the following

Up 6 percent in counties carried by John Kerry in 2004

Unchanged in the major cities (down 2% in Dallas, unchanged in Houston and up 2% in Houston)

Up 9 percent in counties where George Bush received more than 60 percent

A summary of the data is posted in the comments below. The raw data can be obtained from the Office of the Texas Secretary of State at the following links:

2004 Early Voting
2008 Early Voting

2004 Election Results
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2117383/posts

Teetop
10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
In the small town I live in, I have never seen so many political signs in my life here. And only two SnObama/Biden signs. :D