PDA

View Full Version : Ditch Work On Election Day Sez Obama.

Gingersnap
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Obama Urges Voters to Take Day Off From Work to Help Campaign on Election Day
Barack Obama's campaign is urging voters to take off a day from work or school on Election Day so they can help him win.

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A new 30-second spot on Barack Obama's Web site is urging voters to "talk to your boss" or professor and then take the day off from work or school to volunteer for his campaign on Election Day.

The "Take the Day" campaign suggests voters sign up to go to battleground states or work in phone banks closer to home on Nov. 4, when they would normally be at work or in class.

"We can't win this election unless every Obama supporter gets out and votes on November 4th. To do that, we need a massive team of volunteers helping us. Can you take next Tuesday off from work, join the final push, and make sure that everyone who supports Barack turns out to vote?" asks the Web page hosting the ad.

On the trail, Obama has been encouraging voters to go to the polls for early voting, and reports from several states are that Democrats are going into the voting booths in larger numbers than Republicans.

On Tuesday, several thousand people came out in a cold and steady rain to hear Obama address an outdoor rally at Widener University, outside Philadelphia.

"I just want all of you to know that if we see this kind of dedication on Election Day, there is no way that we're not going to bring change to America," he told the shivering crowd.

Click here to see the ad.

It looks a small preview of his you-people-work-while-my-people-goof-off plan. :rolleyes:

Fox (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/28/obama-urges-voters-day-work-help-campaign-election-day/)

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Election Day should be a holiday.

bijou
10-28-2008, 10:47 AM

Presumably there is nothing to stop people taking the day off as part of their allocated vacation days.

crockspot
10-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm hoping Obama will give me a $300k+/year phony baloney job like his wife has.

jinxmchue
10-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Why do you and your Obamessiah hate the economy?

crockspot
10-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah, just what we need, another holiday to pay government workers to stay home and do nothing, instead of showing up to work to do nothing.

It only takes at most an hour to vote. If your work schedule prevents you from making it to the polls, then ASK FOR A FRIGGIN ABSENTEE BALLOT!

What a bunch of lazy POS's these libbers are.

xavierob82
10-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Agreed. And ditch MLK or Columbus Day.

ralph wiggum
10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Agreed. And ditch MLK or Columbus Day.

Racist!!!!! :D

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Why do you and your Obamessiah hate the economy?

What makes MLK Day, Presidents Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Columbus Day and Labor Day so much more important than the day we chose the people who run this country?

Election Day should be either switched to a Saturday or be made a holiday.

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 12:35 PM

No it's not racist at all. I loathe February for the sole fact it's this big fucken BLACK HISTORY MONTH circlejerk where people pretend to give a shit about the past. How many times do I have to hear about Carver's peanuts or that stupid cotton gin?

xavierob82
10-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Not! I love Italian women. ;)

biccat
10-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Election day should be a holiday, that way more Republicans would get a chance to vote.

It's unfair that the polls are only open when most of the Republican base is at work.

Democrats probably would hate the idea, since their base generally has the day off anyway.

xavierob82
10-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Election day should be a holiday, that way more Republicans would get a chance to vote.

It's unfair that the polls are only open when most of the Republican base is at work.

Democrats probably would hate the idea, since their base generally has the day off anyway.

That must be the reason why the most educated, most productive regions of the country are Democratic strongholds.

Sonnabend
10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
That must be the reason why the most educated, most productive regions of the country are Democratic strongholds.

Like Chicago, who gave us that most sterling of characters Al Capone?

Or Taxachusetts, that gave us Ted "The Swimmer" Kennedy?

BTW

We hold our elections on a weekend...and its a practical idea. Get out and vote..the message is valid.

Sonnabend
10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
"Most educated", huh?

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/twisteddark/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/images/icons/icon1.gif Feds arrest Mass. senator on corruption charges
http://www.ncmtv.org/gala/vips/i/ma_dianne_wilkerson.jpg

BOSTON (AP) — A state senator who lost the Democratic primary last month was arrested by the FBI on Tuesday and charged with accepting $23,500 in bribes from undercover agents she believed were local businessmen.

Sen. Dianne Wilkerson was charged with attempted extortion as a public official and theft of honest services as a state senator. She faces up to 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines on each count. ...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...i0mQQD943KEIG0 (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iryBx-trWVGPXKX-gSow6HBi0mQQD943KEIG0)

Odysseus
10-28-2008, 02:51 PM

The blue states love to see themselves as more educated and more productive than the rest of us, but New England and the rust belt are among the least productive areas of the country, as demonstrated by their declining tax revenues and populations. California is coasting on decades of investment, but it's rapidly running out of money to fund its overpriced, underperforming public sector, and the population losses there are more than offset by immigration from outside the US, which masks the state's decline. The really productive states are in the sun belt, where economic growth continues to outpace the rest of the country, and most sun belt states, from Arizona to Georgia, are solidly red.

But, you go on believing that you're part of the nation's elite. There's a good liberal.

LogansPapa
10-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Yep - much more productive in Notrees, TX

http://www.texasescapes.com/WestTexasTowns/NotreesTexas/NotreeSign.jpg

as opposed to where I live. Those folks below are just a bunch of uneducated low-life’s with no future. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Huntington_Harbor,_CA.jpg/800px-Huntington_Harbor,_CA.jpg

Eyelids
10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
The blue states love to see themselves as more educated and more productive than the rest of us, but New England and the rust belt are among the least productive areas of the country, as demonstrated by their declining tax revenues and populations. California is coasting on decades of investment, but it's rapidly running out of money to fund its overpriced, underperforming public sector, and the population losses there are more than offset by immigration from outside the US, which masks the state's decline. The really productive states are in the sun belt, where economic growth continues to outpace the rest of the country, and most sun belt states, from Arizona to Georgia, are solidly red.

But, you go on believing that you're part of the nation's elite. There's a good liberal.

Actually Arizona and Georgia aren't solidly red.

In Georgia, 6 of the 13 congressional districts are Democrat and they actually might figure to add one in the 10th. Saxby Chambliss is not a lock to beat Jim Martin either. Saxby's kind of an asshole, he called his opponent who is a triple amputee from Vietnam a coward. Presidential polls in Georgia have Barack Obama within 10 points, by far the closest margin for a Democrat there in a while.

Now Arizona is split 50/50 (4 for each) in congressional districts. McCain's gap there was recently polled at +4 over Barack Obama. In his home state. Yeah, so that state might be a lot bluer than you'd think.

I dont know why I'm bragging about Arizona though, they are 48th in per capita income.

xavierob82
10-28-2008, 03:23 PM
All the "educated" and "productive" move to greener and warmer pastures...which explains Virginia, Colorado, and possibly North Carolina slowly turning into blue states. ;)

And if wasn't for McCain being an AZ senator, we'd be taking Arizona on Nov 4th

YupItsMe
10-28-2008, 04:19 PM

It's because the Republicans that own all the busineses in those regions have to hire thousands of Dimocrats to work for them.

JB
10-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Take a breath. Neither side will ever win a "who works harder" or "who is smarter" argument. It's ridiculous.

Fact is, Hussein should not be encouraging people to take a day off when doing so could cost someone their job. That's a reality.

Ranger Rick
10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
If we are going to move the election day, I feel April 16th is the best option.

BadCat
10-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm thinking of taking the day off and standing on the road to the polling place with a big sign that has a hammer & sickle on it...next to the word "OBAMA".

Bubba Dawg
10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
No it's not racist at all. I loathe February for the sole fact it's this big fucken BLACK HISTORY MONTH circlejerk where people pretend to give a shit about the past. How many times do I have to hear about Carver's peanuts or that stupid cotton gin?

Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin. He was white.

I learned that in White History Eleven Month.

Odysseus
10-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Yep - much more productive in Notrees, TX

http://www.texasescapes.com/WestTexasTowns/NotreesTexas/NotreeSign.jpg

as opposed to where I live. Those folks below are just a bunch of uneducated low-life’s with no future. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Huntington_Harbor,_CA.jpg/800px-Huntington_Harbor,_CA.jpg
Texas continues to gain population from the remaining 49 states. California continues to lose it, but masks it with increased immigration from Mexico. Los Angeles is already unliveable except for the coastal enclave, and twenty years from now, it will be moreso.

Actually Arizona and Georgia aren't solidly red.

In Georgia, 6 of the 13 congressional districts are Democrat and they actually might figure to add one in the 10th. Saxby Chambliss is not a lock to beat Jim Martin either. Saxby's kind of an asshole, he called his opponent who is a triple amputee from Vietnam a coward. Presidential polls in Georgia have Barack Obama within 10 points, by far the closest margin for a Democrat there in a while.

Now Arizona is split 50/50 (4 for each) in congressional districts. McCain's gap there was recently polled at +4 over Barack Obama. In his home state. Yeah, so that state might be a lot bluer than you'd think.

I dont know why I'm bragging about Arizona though, they are 48th in per capita income.
Georgia hasn't gone for a Democrat since Jimmy Carter. Arizona has a split congressional delegation, but it's been a solid Republican state in terms of presidential politics since the sixties.

All the "educated" and "productive" move to greener and warmer pastures...which explains Virginia, Colorado, and possibly North Carolina slowly turning into blue states. ;)
And if wasn't for McCain being an AZ senator, we'd be taking Arizona on Nov 4th
Exactly. People leave the states which are run by Democrats for states which are run by Republicans. Initially, it's the most productive and capable, but eventually, the dregs follow, gradually turning their new states bluer. Then, having done their best to make those states ungovernable and unliveable, they move on to redder pastures.

Election days are mandated in the Constitution. It would be easier to move tax day to the first Monday in November.

I thought that we only got about seven months, what with women's history month, Latino history month, gay pride month, Asian history month, Italian history week, Polish history week, Jewish history day, Lithuanian day, German history afternoon and the Zulu awareness hour.

Goldwater
10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Zulu awareness hour is my favorite.

InspiredHome
10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Not everyone who is "educated" is smart. :D

patriot45
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM

You got my vote for that! whoever was advocating the FairTax would win!

Odysseus
10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Zulu awareness hour is my favorite.
Yeah, mine too. I particularly like charging the British square with my asegai. :D

You got my vote for that! whoever was advocating the FairTax would win!
I'd settle for a flat tax.

Gingersnap
10-28-2008, 09:59 PM

Lord, didn't you hate that? All that tedious stuff about vaccinations, physics, manned flight, suffrage, and abolition. Let's not even go into the whole boring clean water, antibiotic-inventing, and tractor-pulls. It's painful to be white. I had to eat Wonder Bread one time. :p

To be fair to Blinky, Catherine Littlefield Greene may have actually invented the most important part of the cotton gin. Sadly, she was also white. Even more sadly, the invention of the cotton gin was one of the many economic blows that, coupled with white Christianity via the Abolitionist Movement, dealt the death knell to "the peculiar institution".

Lanie
10-28-2008, 11:53 PM
It looks a small preview of his you-people-work-while-my-people-goof-off plan. :rolleyes:

Fox (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/28/obama-urges-voters-day-work-help-campaign-election-day/)

I think he has a point. Yes, work is important. However, if you have a flexible job, then it would be good to take that day to encourage people to vote. Last election day (two years ago), I stood out in the rain for hours to encourage people to vote for a candidate I was supporting for the House. It astonished people that I would do that. I said if you want your man in, you need to do something. He didn't win of course. Got defeated by a guy who took his campaign for granted with good reason. Hopefully, the guy will win this year.

Odysseus
10-29-2008, 09:12 AM
I think he has a point. Yes, work is important. However, if you have a flexible job, then it would be good to take that day to encourage people to vote. Last election day (two years ago), I stood out in the rain for hours to encourage people to vote for a candidate I was supporting for the House. It astonished people that I would do that. I said if you want your man in, you need to do something. He didn't win of course. Got defeated by a guy who took his campaign for granted with good reason. Hopefully, the guy will win this year.

I'd rather see voting made more difficult. Too many people who have no business dictating policy are voting. I'd require a photo ID as a bare minimum, although proof of submission of a 1040 tax form should be a requirement (even if you didn't owe any taxes, if you worked, you have to file), which would guarantee that only people who actually worked voted.

crockspot
10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I wonder how many days Michelle Obama has ditched already from her $300K+/year phony baloney job to go on the campaign trail? I wonder if her paycheck has been dinged at all for it? Not likely. Republicans will make it to work on Tuesday, and still vote. We have to. We have millions on welfare depending on us.

crockspot
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I'd rather see voting made more difficult. Too many people who have no business dictating policy are voting. I'd require a photo ID as a bare minimum, although proof of submission of a 1040 tax form should be a requirement (even if you didn't owe any taxes, if you worked, you have to file), which would guarantee that only people who actually worked voted.

I like the original criteria the Founding Fathers laid down for voting: You must own land.

Eyelids
10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Lord, didn't you hate that? All that tedious stuff about vaccinations, physics, manned flight, suffrage, and abolition. Let's not even go into the whole boring clean water, antibiotic-inventing, and tractor-pulls. It's painful to be white. I had to eat Wonder Bread one time. :p

To be fair to Blinky, Catherine Littlefield Greene may have actually invented the most important part of the cotton gin. Sadly, she was also white. Even more sadly, the invention of the cotton gin was one of the many economic blows that, coupled with white Christianity via the Abolitionist Movement, dealt the death knell to "the peculiar institution".

I do not care about any of that. At all. I couldn't possibly think of something that matters less than who invented the stupid fucking cotton gin.

No offense, of course.

Odysseus
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I like the original criteria the Founding Fathers laid down for voting: You must own land.
Or rent it, pay a poll tax or have a business that paid taxes. It wasn't just owning property but the effective utilization of it.

I do not care about any of that. At all. I couldn't possibly think of something that matters less than who invented the stupid fucking cotton gin.
No offense, of course.
Hey, none taken. It's your heritage, my brother. Have a peanut and chill out. :D