PDA

View Full Version : Councilwoman quits over 'Christmas' tree lighting

Dori
12-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Roselle Park councilwoman quits over 'Christmas' tree lighting (http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/12/roselle_park_councilwoman_quits_over_tree_lighting .html)

It came down to the addition of a single word for the a tree lighting ceremony, but that word carried enough significance for borough Councilwoman Charlene Storey to resign.

Minutes after the council voted 4-2 Thursday night to change the name of the ceremony from A Tree Lighting to A Christmas Tree Lighting, the councilwoman-at-large, left the meeting. She later submitted her letter of resignation with the municipal clerk's office.

"I cannot in good conscience continue to be part of a council that is exclusionary or to work with a Mayor who is such," Storey said in her letter.

When reached today, Storey said she regretted having to resign, but said the change "cuts non-Christians out of the loop and favors one religion."

Storey, who was raised Catholic but is now a "non-believer" and has never hidden that fact, said the issue is a matter of principle.

Changing the ceremony, she said, "turned it from a non-religious event to a religious one."

Rockntractor
12-05-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm sure she was such a joy to have around during meetings that she will really be missed.

FlaGator
12-05-2015, 11:01 PM
The tolerance of the left on display.

Elspeth
12-05-2015, 11:36 PM
So if she is no longer Christian, why does she want to be a part of a Christian tradition?

SarasotaRepub
12-06-2015, 12:10 AM
From the Comments...

Of course Christmas favors Christianity, just like Hanukkah favors Judaism, Ramadan favors Islam, etc..

Well DUH!!!! :rolleyes:

Apocalypse
12-06-2015, 12:49 AM
So if she is no longer Christian, why does she want to be a part of a Christian tradition?

Lets see here, from arguments with the loony left I've had.

"It's NOT a Christian Tradition! They stole it from the Pagans who celebrated their event called Yule at that time, long before Jesus was born and most of present-day Christian customs, including carols, Christmas tree and so forth have origins in Pagan Winter Solstice celebrations. "

SVPete
12-06-2015, 10:20 AM
I can suggest an appropriate response letter from the City Council:

Your resignation is gladly accepted.

Good riddance.

Merry Christmas!

Hawkgirl
12-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Don't let the door hit you in the arse, Biatch.

michaelhilton
12-06-2015, 12:08 PM
As a former councilman in Oregon, I know that the position requires deference to the majority votes of the council itself. This woman doesn't evidently know that so she'll not be missed. Good riddance. "Christmas" isn't the issue. Being a contributing and valuable member IS the issue.