PDA

View Full Version : Sorry - you can't really be PresidentÖ

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
>OPINION PIECE WARNING< There are no article links - this is just what I think.

I can feel it in my bones. White folk of influence just arenít that big. They say they are - they proclaim how broad-minded they are, their children are and the people they associate with are, but thereís an unspoken rule that you donít let things go that far.

"Gentleman's Agreement" (1947) Describes what Iím speaking of perfectly.

Directed by Elia Kazan. With Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire, John Garfield.

This film is about a journalist who passes himself off as a Jew to write an article about Semitism in America. He discovers just how this affects him, and the other people in his life. Demonstrates how racism affects a person, especially the subtle forms which may go unnoticed by many in today's world. It also shows how otherwise good people can and do contribute to racism in small, everyday, ways.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039416/plotsummary

Great film - great message. And I think this is how this election will come down. Somehow - some way, Obamaís going to be denied a fair shot because weíre just not that big as a people yet. Another 50 years, maybe, but not now. We talk a good game - but talk is very inexpensive.

Speedy
10-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Of course the fact that millions of Americans did not vote for John Kerry, who had virtually the same stances on issues that Obama did, and will vote against Barack for the came reasons can't mean anything. It HAS to be racism.

noonwitch
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Of course the fact that millions of Americans did not vote for John Kerry, who had virtually the same stances on issues that Obama did, and will vote against Barack for the came reasons can't mean anything. It HAS to be racism.

I understand your point, and I agree that a lot of people voting against Obama are voting against him because they don't agree with his political views or the policies he advocates.

The difference between the Bush campaign in 2004 and the McCain campaign this year is that because Obama is black and because he has the backround and name(s) that he has, there are the claims that Obama is a muslim, that he isn't really an american citizen, and so on that wouldn't be made against him if he were white. I don't know if it's a situation to scream racism about, because he does have a muslim middle name, but it wouldn't happen to a white candidate.

Elspeth
10-29-2008, 10:50 AM
I understand your point, and I agree that a lot of people voting against Obama are voting against him because they don't agree with his political views or the policies he advocates.

The difference between the Bush campaign in 2004 and the McCain campaign this year is that because Obama is black and because he has the backround and name(s) that he has, there are the claims that Obama is a muslim, that he isn't really an american citizen, and so on that wouldn't be made against him if he were white. I don't know if it's a situation to scream racism about, because he does have a muslim middle name, but it wouldn't happen to a white candidate.

I don't know about that noonwitch. If a white candidate had a foreign father from a Russia or Venezuela and had cousins running those countries AND he had spent his childhood in, say, Pakistan, where he had been adopted by his mother's second (Pakistani) husband AND he had been mentored by Tom Hadyn here in California (who went from Chicago Seven to state assembly) AND he went to a church where the preacher espoused a revolutionary message of white guilt and America's evil....

wouldn't you question the guy, even though he was white?

I would.

I'd also want to see his birth certificate.

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Another movie reference:

[Valentine overhears the Dukes talking in the bathroom]

Randolph Duke: Pay up, Mortimer. I've won the bet.

Mortimer Duke: Here, one dollar.

Randolph Duke:[chuckling] We took a perfectly useless psychopath like Valentine, and turned him into a successful executive. And during the same time, we turned an honest, hard-working man into a violently, deranged, would-be killer!

[laughs]

Randolph Duke: Now, what are we going to do about taking Winthorpe back and returning Valentine to the ghetto?

Mortimer Duke: I don't want Winthorpe back, after what he's done.

Randolph Duke: You mean, keep *Valentine* on as managing director?

Mortimer Duke: Do you really believe I would have a ******** run our family business, Randolph?

[Valentine's eyes widen with outrage]

Randolph Duke: Of course not. Neither would I.

(this is what we're really about) :cool:

jediab
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
What about the overwhelming amount of people voting for barak ONLY because he's black? The door swings both ways here.

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
What about the overwhelming amount of people voting for barak ONLY because he's black? The door swings both ways here.

They don't control the rule book.

jediab
10-29-2008, 12:10 PM

What is this "Rule Book"? Where can I get a copy in print for myself?

Elspeth
10-29-2008, 12:13 PM

They certainly controlled the Democratic Party rule book this year. Donna Brazile yelled "The rules are the rules!" while disenfranchising Florida (again) even though Florida Dems were in no way responsible for the date of their primary (the Republican majority in the state assembly was) and even though those Dems tried to fight it.

I think you need to take off your 1964 glasses, LP, and update your prescription.

FlaGator
10-29-2008, 12:14 PM

I can feel it in my bones. White folk of influence just arenít that big. They say they are - they proclaim how broad-minded they are, their children are and the people they associate with are, but thereís an unspoken rule that you donít let things go that far.

"Gentleman's Agreement" (1947) Describes what Iím speaking of perfectly.

This film is about a journalist who passes himself off as a Jew to write an article about Semitism in America. He discovers just how this affects him, and the other people in his life. Demonstrates how racism affects a person, especially the subtle forms which may go unnoticed by many in today's world. It also shows how otherwise good people can and do contribute to racism in small, everyday, ways.

Great film - great message. And I think this is how this election will come down. Somehow - some way, Obamaís going to be denied a fair shot because weíre just not that big as a people yet. Another 50 years, maybe, but not now. We talk a good game - but talk is very inexpensive.

I would love to participate in history and find a reason to vote for Obama, but (and his race has nothing to do with this) I just don't trust him. For me it's really as simple as that. He has zip for experience and a very limited (by his own choice) voting record upon which to accurately gauge just what he'll do in a crisis situation and how he really stands on issues. Most politicians say one thing to get elected and do otherwise when in office but one can usually determine how a politician will behave based on his or her past. We just don't have this with Obama.

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 12:19 PM
I think you need to take off your 1964 glasses, LP, and update your prescription.

Very Good. :D

Maybe so - but you really think our nation is ready to do this? I don't. Based on watching the latest Bush administration 'hit back' against anyone that didn't toe-th-line domestically in the last eight years, I can't see Obama as being allowed to ever take office - even if he wins in a landslide.

Shannon
10-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I can't see Obama as being allowed to ever take office - even if he wins in a landslide.

I sure hope you're right.

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I sure hope you're right.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:vQczA8UyTm8EWM:http://thepetconnection.net/HappyTails/minook%2520rolling%2520eyes.JPG

gee...who didn't see that coming?

FlaGator
10-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Maybe so - but you really think our nation is ready to do this? I don't. Based on watching the latest Bush administration 'hit back' against anyone that didn't toe-th-line domestically in the last eight years, I can't see Obama as being allowed to ever take office - even if he wins in a landslide.

That thought terrifies me more that you can possibly imagine.

biccat
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
So LP is, at heart, a racist who is afraid to have a black man running the country? I think I might have to take back all those times I accused you of voting for Obama.

It turns out that you're not a shill for Obama, you're a Nigerphobe!

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
It turns out that you're not a shill for Obama, you're a Nigerphobe!

If you have something resembling an actual coherent thought in this serious thread - please share it.

Otherwise, kindly fuck-off. :rolleyes:

biccat
10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
If you have something resembling an actual coherent thought in this serious thread - please share it.

Otherwise, kindly fuck-off. :rolleyes:

I don't see where that has stopped you in the past.

Are you saying I'm wrong about you? That you really do intend to vote for Obama?

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't see where that has stopped you in the past.

Stop howling from the trees monkey - and actually join the discussion. Stop being Eyelidís counter-part and contribute. Youíve been in this forum for a long time, and from what Iíve seen, you do shit.

patriot45
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Bottom line, If you don't vote for O, you are a racist. Could not be that he is so underqualified to be President, right? Even Democrats need to look at what they want elected.
I am broad minded, he could be green and yellow for all I care, I hate his policies and the direction he wants to take this country. But if we don't elect him, he didn't get a fair shot, yeah right.:rolleyes:

Next we get his 1/2 hour info-mercial! Won't answer any critics, but he'll stand there and lecture us, with no rebuttals!!!
:mad:

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Bottom line, If you don't vote for O, you are a racist. Could not be that he is so underqualified to be President, right?

From my perspective - I think if he was the most qualified person in the US it wouldnít matter for about a third of eligible voters. If he could guarantee the same fiscal surpluses we had prior to "W" at the end of his first term, I still donít think he could be voted into the White House.

I can only hope heís still alive in 2012 to run against Sarah. :cool:

aerojarod
10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I think every Conservative here would jump at the chance to vote for black republican like J.C. Watts, for instance.

It's the Obama supporters who constantly inject the issue of race into the dialogue of this campaign. In my opinion they are still riddled with white guilt and are projecting their own closeted racism on we Conservatives.

biccat
10-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I think every Conservative here would jump at the chance to vote for black republican like J.C. Watts, for instance.

It's the Obama supporters who constantly inject the issue of race into the dialogue of this campaign. In my opinion they are still riddled with white guilt and are projecting their own closeted racism on we Conservatives.

OH SNAP!!!!! :eek:

(Is that sufficient contribution for you LP?)

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 02:28 PM
OH SNAP!!!!! :eek:

(Is that sufficient contribution for you LP?)

Yep - from aerojarod. Which still leaves you with a big goose egg. As usual.:rolleyes:

biccat
10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Yep - from aerojarod. Which still leaves you with a big goose egg. As usual.:rolleyes:

Ahem.

OH SNAP!

(oh snap!)

oh snap.

oh snap

Oh Snap!

Oh Snap!

:eek: OH SNAP!

Oh snap!

(oh snap!)

Yes, you certainly have a history of well thought out and informative posts on this forum.

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Yes, you certainly have a history of well thought out and informative posts on this forum.

Come on, chickenshit. Jump in the fray and express a real opinion on the subject at hand - for once. :rolleyes:

biccat
10-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Come on, chickenshit. Jump in the fray and express a real opinion on the subject at hand - for once. :rolleyes:
Your premise that, even if Obama wins, the "white establishment" is going to conspire to deny him victory?

Sorry, looks too much like typical DU moonbattery to me. If Obama wins, he will sit in the Oval Office. If he doesn't win, then McCain will sit in the Oval Office. The only "conspiracy" to keep Obama out of the White House is the minor issue of the Presidential Election.

I think that when most sane people step into the voting booth, they will seriously think before pulling the lever, and realize they don't really know enough about Obama to trust him with the presidency.

Of course, I could be wrong, look at the popularity of Michael Moore and Al Gore's movies. Americans might just be that stupid.

YupItsMe
10-29-2008, 03:34 PM
If Obama is not elected due to racism, it won't be from the right. No conservative in this country would vote for him if he was white, yellow, green or purple with pink polka dots. If racism is why he doesn't get in it will be some older white Democrats that don't vote for him because of his race. And I'm begging that in this one instance, there's still a lot of racist's out there. Some of the blue collar Reagan Democrats that crossed party lines in 1984 and such. He's also pissed off a lot of Hillary supporters and that may factor in. I would like to think that the American people were smart enough to see the truth about him, but if it takes racist Democrats to deny him the office, I'll be happy with that.

YupItsMe
10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Another movie reference:

[Valentine overhears the Dukes talking in the bathroom]

Randolph Duke: Pay up, Mortimer. I've won the bet.

Mortimer Duke: Here, one dollar.

Randolph Duke:[chuckling] We took a perfectly useless psychopath like Valentine, and turned him into a successful executive. And during the same time, we turned an honest, hard-working man into a violently, deranged, would-be killer!

[laughs]

Randolph Duke: Now, what are we going to do about taking Winthorpe back and returning Valentine to the ghetto?

Mortimer Duke: I don't want Winthorpe back, after what he's done.

Randolph Duke: You mean, keep *Valentine* on as managing director?

Mortimer Duke: Do you really believe I would have a ******** run our family business, Randolph?

[Valentine's eyes widen with outrage]

Randolph Duke: Of course not. Neither would I.

(this is what we're really about) :cool:

This quote is worthless without pics.
Do you have the clip where Jamie Lee Curtis shows her TaTas? :)

aerojarod
10-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I thought Jamie Lee Curtis had a penis :confused:

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 03:50 PM

Man, that was the best. Just outstanding! ;)

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Your premise that, even if Obama wins, the "white establishment" is going to conspire to deny him victory?

So you actually believe the nation (remember the old lady with the microphone - yammering to McCain about Arabs) is mature enough to have a person of color in the White House? I mean - outside the kitchen, of course.

biccat
10-29-2008, 04:04 PM
So you actually believe the nation (remember the old lady with the microphone - yammering to McCain about Arabs) is mature enough to have a person of color in the White House? I mean - outside the kitchen, of course.
I can't imagine why not. One crazy woman doesn't represent the whole population, believe it or not.

Why are you making such a big deal about race? Obama is supremely unqualified, whether he is black or white. The only reason he's got such a close shot at the White House is because of his race, not in spite of it.

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I can't imagine why not. One crazy woman doesn't represent the whole population, believe it or not.

Sarah Palin may be dippy, but she's not crazy.:cool:

LogansPapa
10-29-2008, 04:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V71Do4Fj8XU

Gun Sales On Rise In FL On Fear Of An Obama Presidency

Phillygirl
10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V71Do4Fj8XU

Gun Sales On Rise In FL On Fear Of An Obama Presidency

I remember in 2000 when gun sales here were on the rise due to fear of a Gore presidency. It had nothing to do with race and everything to do with Democrats.

MrsSmith
10-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I remember in 2000 when gun sales here were on the rise due to fear of a Gore presidency. It had nothing to do with race and everything to do with Democrats.

And the fact that guns are a good investment choice that won't lose value the way mutual funds can. :)

As with the huge majority of Republicans, I would have been glad to vote for any conservative candidate for President, regardless of race or background. If Colin Powell had run as a Republican, I would have voted for him. I wished Condi had run, there is a lady with true grit.

Of course, unlike many of our "local" bigots, I would have been happy voting for Huckabee, also.

I know it's difficult for those with bigoted viewpoints to understand, but values are more important than race. For most people, they always have been.

Elspeth
10-29-2008, 07:50 PM

If I had some extra money I'd make a serious bet that all will go smoothly. Even Shrub has to hang it up sometime. He's got a nice new place in South America waiting for him. :)

Lager
10-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry. I don't think you're qualified to judge whether whites are "mature" enough or unbiased enough to elect a man with black ancestry President. I'm certainly not waiting for your approval of whether I'm tolerant or unprejudiced enough. Good trolling topic though.

M21
10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
And the fact that guns are a good investment choice that won't lose value the way mutual funds can. :)

That's a lot of it. We know that if Obama is elected there will very soon be a new Assault Weapons Ban. Much of the currently legal material is being snapped up.

MrsSmith
10-29-2008, 09:21 PM
That's a lot of it. We know that if Obama is elected there will very soon be a new Assault Weapons Ban. Much of the currently legal material is being snapped up.

All the freedoms lost under Dims, and so much whining over the "right" to make a call to discuss bombs with terrorists in the ME. Dims only hate the freedoms actually written into the BOR. :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
10-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Even Shrub has to hang it up sometime

That's President Bush to you.

He's got a nice new place in South America waiting for him.

Oh puh-leese...:rolleyes:

hampshirebrit
10-31-2008, 08:54 AM
That's President Bush to you.

Been meaning to ask you...after January 20 2009, will you keep insisting that CUers call the President "President ......."

Put another way, assuming that the polls are correct, will we see you rapping people's knuckles with "That's President Obama to you"?

AmPat
10-31-2008, 08:55 AM
Will there be a new rule book if he is elected or was there ever a rule book in the first place. The fact he has gotten this far indicates there is no such "rule book."

LogansPapa
10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
The fact he has gotten this far indicates there is no such "rule book."

I think the movers and shakers of this country want people to believe they can actually change things (reference: "I Have A Dream" speech) and then pull a rabbit out of their top-hat at the last moment. I look for OBL (or remains thereof) to make an appearance Monday night in the prime-time news hour.

;)

Goldwater
10-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Been meaning to ask you...after January 20 2009, will you keep insisting that CUers call the President "President ......."

Put another way, assuming that the polls are correct, will we see you rapping people's knuckles with "That's President Obama to you"?

Thats what I was wondering.

BadCat
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Thats what I was wondering.

Not a snowballs chance in hell that I would EVER refer to that Communist as "President".

Molon Labe
10-31-2008, 09:51 AM

No you will not. Can't say I blame him though...

What can I say..I'm a hypocrite. :p

Molon Labe
10-31-2008, 09:59 AM

I can feel it in my bones. White folk of influence just aren’t that big. They say they are - they proclaim how broad-minded they are, their children are and the people they associate with are, but there’s an unspoken rule that you don’t let things go that far.

"Gentleman's Agreement" (1947) Describes what I’m speaking of perfectly.

Great film - great message. And I think this is how this election will come down. Somehow - some way, Obama’s going to be denied a fair shot because we’re just not that big as a people yet. Another 50 years, maybe, but not now. We talk a good game - but talk is very inexpensive.

LP...Your right that there's some inherent racism with regards to Obama, but my critical stance against him is simply that he doesn't get it on so many levels, his enigmatic career is just a wee bit alarming, and that every issue from the economy, to culture, to defense is viewed through a legal philosophy rooted in Socialism.
Oh...Not to mention that I believe he is as racist as those that won't consider him because he's black. (or as racist as those who do consider him because he's black).

There are plenty of black men that I personally would give a fair shot if they were nominated. Shelby Steele, and Larry Elder come to mind...maybe even J.C. Watts. They at least understand the root causes of cultural problems that hinder race relations, and demean the black community.

First...despite what everyone believes about this nation. The U.S. is not unique to racism.
I acknowledge the crap stains that we have on our consciences because of slavery.
Second....although racism still exists....and always will.....there just isn't enough evidence that it is totally debilitating anymore.

See Shelby Steele's trilogy....Especially his last "White Guilt".
It speaks directly to what your film suggests. His thesis is there is an underlying psychology that has not been overcome by the black community that hinders them.

FlaGator
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM

As much as it pains me I will refer to him as President Obama. It has more do do with respect of the office than for the man. Also I'm a firm believer that God put's in charge who He wants to be in charge. The question is will He give us the President we need or the President we deserve.

Besides, I'd feel DU dirty if I resorted to their tactics.

patriot45
10-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Can we at least shorten it to , President "0"

megimoo
10-31-2008, 02:24 PM
Can we at least shorten it to , President "0"After eight years of their vile hatred of President Bush calling him every name under the Sun and now you expect some respect for this bird if he makes it ?Just make it Da Prez !

Molon Labe
10-31-2008, 02:29 PM
As much as it pains me I will refer to him as President Obama. It has more do do with respect of the office than for the man. Also I'm a firm believer that God put's in charge who He wants to be in charge. The question is will He give us the President we need or the President we deserve.

My inlaws told me this weekend the same thing...but they would disagree that we will get what we deserve. They insist that it's God's will that McCain win. They ridicule me for my 3rd party vote this election as not being the "will of God". I try to remind them that McCain is no consevative, but to them it is of no matter.

My question? If that is what the Bible says.....Do you believe that fighting the system that gives us McCain's and Obama's is out of God's will or as a Christian, should we be accepting of whatever comes about?

Goldwater
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
My inlaws told me this weekend the same thing...but they would disagree that we will get what we deserve. They insist that it's God's will that McCain win. They ridicule me for my 3rd party vote this election as not being the "will of God". I try to remind them that McCain is no consevative, but to them it is of no matter.

No one on this Earth knows what God's will is, religious or not.

megimoo
10-31-2008, 02:36 PM

My question? If that is what the Bible says.....Do you believe that fighting the system that gives us McCain's and Obama's is out of God's will or as a Christian, should we be accepting of whatever comes about?Fight the good fight then pray on the outcome !

hampshirebrit
10-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Can't disagree with that ...

While I doubt the existence of God, if I'm wrong, I wouldn't think that that it would have interest in the outcome of any election.

Molon Labe
10-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Yes...but there some like my in-laws, that insist that whoever wins...it is because of God's will. My father in law firmly stated that he is certain McCain will win. Never mind that the person I choose to support this year just happens to be a pastor with impeccable principles as both a Christian and a conservative. (The former of which is the least important to me in a politician)
For some reason, that was a moot point with him because he stated that if it was God's will for a 3rd party to win....then by gosh....they would just win. This amounts to the "he can't win" argument to me.

I haven't decided how he is going to respond if Obama is president elect on Wednesday.

Goldwater
10-31-2008, 02:51 PM
I haven't decided how he is going to respond if Obama is president elect on Wednesday.

Would that be God's will too? :p

LogansPapa
10-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Everything is Godís will, or He wouldnít let it happen.

But thatís not what this threadís about - it is about being a bigot and a being a phoney about being a bigot.

Can we attempt to get back on track here people? :p

BadCat
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
How many people do you think are REALLY not voting for Hussien because he's black?

Rebel Yell
10-31-2008, 03:31 PM
How many people do you think are REALLY not voting for Hussien because he's black?

No more than are voting for him because he's black. So, we'll call it a wash, then it's just like every other election.

hampshirebrit
10-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Not a snowballs chance in hell that I would EVER refer to that Communist as "President".

No you will not. Can't say I blame him though...

What can I say..I'm a hypocrite.

Heh ... BC, Molon, I knew what YOU guys would say. Just the same as what I'd say. If you don't like the prez, then call him what you want, and don't be telling others to do otherwise.

Just wondering what Sonna has to say though.

MrsSmith
10-31-2008, 08:45 PM
It would be totally hypocritical to complain about the lack of respect at the DUmp...and then turn about and exhibit the same ourselves. I will refer to our next President as President.

hampshirebrit
10-31-2008, 08:50 PM
It would be totally hypocritical to complain about the lack of respect at the DUmp...and then turn about and exhibit the same ourselves. I will refer to our next President as President.

I am Hampshirebrit and I approve this message ... :D

One rule (or neither) for both Presidents.

Personally, I am against an excess of rules, so I'll go for neither.

Sonnabend
10-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Been meaning to ask you...after January 20 2009, will you keep insisting that CUers call the President "President ......." More than likely, yes. I will treat the office, if not the man, with respect.

Put another way, assuming that the polls are correct, will we see you rapping people's knuckles with "That's President Obama to you"?Nope, since he will be in Illinois licking his wounds and wondering how the hell he lost.

I'll be happy to say President McCain though....:D

AmPat
10-31-2008, 09:19 PM

I too will refer to himas (oops, Hamas?) such. I will ignore the taste of bile that rises each time I must, but I will. Now if God still has an interest in the U.S.A. we will not have to worry about it. If God has given up on the nation that removes all mention of Him due to some forced guilt, then we'll suffer not just UhBamaism but worse, Socialism wholesale. All three branches of Gov't. marching to the Pied Piper's tune of Socialism until the sudden stop at the bottom of the cliff.

MrsSmith
10-31-2008, 09:31 PM
I too will refer to himas (oops, Hamas?) such. I will ignore the taste of bile that rises each time I must, but I will. Now if God still has an interest in the U.S.A. we will not have to worry about it. If God has given up on the nation that removes all mention of Him due to some forced guilt, then we'll suffer not just UhBamaism but worse, Socialism wholesale. All three branches of Gov't. marching to the Pied Piper's tune of Socialism until the sudden stop at the bottom of the cliff.

Ah, well, God knows what He's doing. All things work together for the good of those that love Christ, even if we don't understand it at the time.

hampshirebrit
10-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Ah, well, God knows what He's doing. All things work together for the good of those that love Christ, even if we don't understand it at the time.

Nice cop out.

Doesn't work for me. Sounds far too much like eastern fatalism to appeal to me.

How did twenty-five years of Stalinism work out for those soviet citizens who loved Christ?

God must have had His head up His ass to let that happen, you have to admit.

Personally, I think that four, much less eight years of Obama, will suck for all of us, love Christ or not.

Sonnabend
10-31-2008, 09:51 PM
oesn't work for me. Sounds far too much like eastern fatalism to appeal to me.

No one can pretend to know the mind of God, or understand what he has in mind.We may not always know why something happens, only that it does.

How did twenty-five years of Stalinism work out for those soviet citizens who loved Christ?

They survived and are able to worship freely today.

God must have had His head up His ass to let that happen, you have to admit.

God gave us free will. The choices we make are not his fault..and just because we don't know the reason for something doesn't mean there isn't one.

Personally, I think that four, much less eight years of Obama, will suck for all of us, love Christ or not.

I'd be more concerned with living in Londonistan and being under 24 hr surveillance.

hampshirebrit
10-31-2008, 09:55 PM
No one can pretend to know the mind of God, or understand what he has in mind.We may not always know why something happens, only that it does.

They survived and are able to worship freely today.

God gave us free will. The choices we make are not his fault..and just because we don't know the reason for something doesn't mean there isn't one.

I'd be more concerned with living in Londonistan and being under 24 hr surveillance.

Well I'd agree with you that socialist Christians are a hell of a lot worse than the conservative types.