PDA

View Full Version : Obama: I'll talk to Raúl, lift travel curbs

LibraryLady
06-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Obama: I'll talk to Raúl, lift travel curbs (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/cuban_colada/)

Barack Obama this week said that, if he is elected president, he "would initiate conversations with our enemies in Cuba and Venezuela" and "would cancel the travel restrictions for those who have relatives in Cuba." Interviewed by Univisión newsman Jorge Ramos, he also commented on a May 25 article by Fidel Castro that was critical of the Democratic presidential candidate. "I doubt that Fidel wrote his latest editorial. I think he's too sick to do so," Obama said. The interview was published Wednesday in the Chilean newspaper El Mercurio. Other topics:
• Hugo Chávez "is a threat, but a manageable threat. We know, for instance, that he may have been involved in support for the FARC [Colombian guerrillas], harming a neighbor. That's not the kind of neighbor we want."
• "I can guarantee an immigration reform bill during the first year" in the White House.
• "I voted for the free-trade treaty with Peru, but I will oppose the one with Colombia until I'm confident that they are not killing labor union leaders there."
• Washington should help Mexico because "more jobs over there mean fewer undocumented [migrants] who come to the United States."
To read the entire article (in Spanish only), click here.
---Renato Pérez Pizarro.

Translation (http://watchingamerica.com/News/1344/obama-assures-that-hugo-chavez-is-%e2%80%9ca-threat-however-a-manageable-threat%e2%80%9d/)

He affirmed that one of the first things he would review, in case of making it to the White House, would be the raids and the deportation of illegal immigrants issues.

“I do not believe in apprehending a mother, separating her from her son, and deporting her, without measuring consequences, is the American way of doing things,” he mentioned.

Obama did not want to compromise, as proposed by Hillary Clinton, to send an immigration law reform to the congress within his first hundred days at the White House. It is not realistic when he has to solve first the war in Iraq and the current economic crisis. However, points out: “What I can do is guarantee an immigration law reform proposal within my first year.”

Obama has never traveled to Latin America in all his 46 years. He does not support the FTA between the U.S. and Colombia, and possibly would suspend or renegotiate the FTA that has existed with Mexico since 1994. However, his foreign policies for the region go further than that. “There is a natural connection between the United States and Latin America,” he commented.

“When the war in Iraq ends, we will be able to focus our attention (on Latin America),” he emphasized. And then he took out a long list of the things he wanted to do in order to not forget the region (as President Bush did on September 11 2001).

“I would start a dialogue with our enemies in Cuba and Venezuela…Cancel traveling restrictions to those who have families in Cuba… I want to merge with countries such as Brazil to search for cleaner ways of energy… I approved the TLC with Peru, but I’m against the one with Colombia until I have confidence that union leaders are not being murdered there…This kind of paramilitary activities must stop,” affirmed Barack Obama.

Gluesniffer
06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Great idea! Next thing should be to lift the trade ban.