PDA

View Full Version : Duke VP hits black parking attendant with car--more than 1 year later she wants $$$

Elspeth
03-01-2016, 09:40 PM
She claims the VP used a "racial slur" (which I consider highly unlikely at a university these days, though it's not impossible.)

Duke Administrator Hit Parking Attendant With Car
https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2016/03/01/duke-administrator-hit-parking-attendant-car

March 1, 2016

A parking attendant is alleging that Tallman Trask, Duke University’s executive vice president, hit her with his car and used a racial slur before a 2014 football game.

Shelvia Underwood, the parking attendant, said that she stopped Trask’s car as she was speaking with a pedestrian, The Duke Chronicle reported. As she turned to him, Trask hit her with his car and she was knocked to the ground. After Trask showed his parking pass and was allowed through, Underwood alleges that he used a racial slur.

Trask said in a statement that he did not intentionally hit Underwood. He said he thought she was allowing him to enter, but when he started moving, she stepped back in front of the car and “her hand ended up on my left fender.” Underwood filed a complaint several days after the incident, Trask said, which was investigated by the Duke police and the Office of Institutional Equity.

Trask denies using the racial slur, and he says that he wrote Underwood an apology note because he had lost his patience.

“I had assumed this was resolved more than a year ago until I received a letter last November from a Raleigh attorney threatening to sue me (not clear for what) unless I paid her an unspecified sum,” Trask said in a statement. “I declined to do so then and do not intend to do so now.”

Elspeth
03-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Then again.....

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/02/dukes-executive-vice-president-tallman-trask-hit-parking-attendant-with-car-accused-of-using-racial-slur

...A parking attendant has alleged that Executive Vice President Tallman Trask, the University’s primary financial and administrative officer, used a racial slur after hitting her with his car.

The parking attendant, Shelvia Underwood of Raleigh-based McLaurin Parking and Transportation, claims that Trask hit her with with his vehicle Aug. 30, 2014, before a Duke football game against Elon University, and called her a “stupid n*****” as he drove off. Weeks later, Underwood received an apology note signed by Trask after she filed a police report with the Duke University Police Department.

“Dear Ms. Underwood,

I very much regret the incident before the Elon football game. I should have been more patient and I apologize,” the signed note reads.

Trask initially told The Chronicle that he categorically denied hitting Underwood with his car and using a racial slur. When presented by The Chronicle with the apology note, he acknowledged hitting her unintentionally but again denied using the slur.

Both Trask and Underwood have hired attorneys....

Elspeth
04-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Now the students are involved:

Duke squatters occupy building over a parking dispute, make it a civil rights crusade
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/26904/

The leader of North Carolina’s “Moral Mondays” protests against conservative legislative policies wants to turn a parking dispute at Duke University into his next civil rights crusade.

On Tuesday the Rev. William Barber sought to join nine Duke students who have occupied part of an administration building since Friday in order to force the resignation of key administration officials and secure a $15 minimum wage on campus.

In particular they want Tallman Trask, executive vice president, to step down in response to allegations that he hit a parking attendant with his car before a sporting event two years ago and called her a racial slur.

Trask issued an apology Monday to Shelvia Underwood and the community for behavior that “fell short of the civility and respectful conduct” he owes everyone at Duke, but the administration has refused to negotiate further with the squatters until they “voluntarily” leave the Allen Building.....

Elspeth
04-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Fun, fun, fun! :biggrin-new:

A Lawsuit, Unmet Demands, and Coloring Books: Inside Duke’s Sit-In
http://chronicle.com/article/A-Lawsuit-Unmet-Demands-and/236027

https://chronicle-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/5/img/photos/biz/photo_76389_landscape_850x566.jpg

Jazmynne Williams, a Duke University sophomore, has spent the past week researching the history of workers’ rights and political organization. She’s also been coloring, singing songs, and writing poetry with eight other students. They’ve become fast friends.

Ms. Williams is one of the students staging a sit-in on the Durham, N.C., campus that has attracted nationwide attention. It began last Friday, when the nine students, members of a group called Duke Students & Workers in Solidarity, occupied the Allen Building.

Armed with food and spare clothes, they set up camp in the building, which houses administrators’ offices. Outside, dozens of other students set up "A-ville" camp in solidarity.

...The students say they will keep sitting in until the university complies with their demands, which include firing Duke’s executive vice president, Tallman Trask III, and two other administrators; raising the minimum wage for Duke workers; and granting amnesty for the workers involved in negotiations with administrators.

...The protesters are also calling for the resignation of the vice president for administration, Kyle Cavanaugh, and the director of parking and transportation services, Carl DePinto.

With no plans to leave the Allen Building, Ms. Williams said the students were taking their other responsibilities — like homework, work obligations, and keeping outside supporters up to speed — one day at a time. The group has formed new bonds of friendship, she said, in the single office suite and lobby they are confined to on Allen’s second floor.....

SVPete
04-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Duke profs condemned the Duke lacrosse team when they were falsely accused of rape by Crystal Mangum (Now serving time for murdering her BF). That condemnation has never been withdrawn, nor an apology given - not by the profs, not by Duke administration. So @#$%^ 'em. Duke's admins and profs created this monster, and I hope it eats them up.

Elspeth
04-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Duke profs condemned the Duke lacrosse team when they were falsely accused of rape by Crystal Mangum (Now serving time for murdering her BF). That condemnation has never been withdrawn, nor an apology given - not by the profs, not by Duke administration. So @#$%^ 'em. Duke's admins and profs created this monster, and I hope it eats them up.

AMEN!

That's exactly right!

SVPete
04-09-2016, 09:41 AM
AMEN!

That's exactly right!

The factoids and greater context of this suggest an even or better likelihood this was an opportunistic shake-down attempt that, when rebuffed, was blown up by the female and local blacktivists into a hate crime and "example" of cultural racism (or whatever the current race-baiting agitprop-phrase-du-jour is) at Duke. Normally I want faux hate-crime fraudsters to get "crushed (= prison time). But given Duke's behavior in the Mangum faux-rape case and given the fact that Duke is private (i.e. the taxpayers of NC won't be on the hook for Duke's legal expenses). I hope this lawsuit is long, drawn out, and very expensive to Duke and whatever defender-of-race-baiters is paying her legal expenses.

SVPete
04-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Sometimes Mercutio's curse, "A plague o' both your houses," is quite apt.

Elspeth
04-09-2016, 10:29 AM
The factoids and greater context of this suggest an even or better likelihood this was an opportunistic shake-down attempt that, when rebuffed, was blown up by the female and local blacktivists into a hate crime and "example" of cultural racism (or whatever the current race-baiting agitprop-phrase-du-jour is) at Duke.

I'm with you on that. I think she's looking for a payday.

Elspeth
04-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Sometimes Mercutio's curse, "A plague o' both your houses," is quite apt.

As Duke sowed, so it shall reap. You empower black racism it will come back to bite you.

NJCardFan
04-09-2016, 09:30 PM
I'm with you on that. I think she's looking for a payday.

Gee, ya think? What Victicrat black isn't looking for a cheap payday?