PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Cyphering

Cold Warrior
06-15-2008, 06:35 AM
Dedicated to JB, BC, DS, and all other admirers of my Sunday Threads

Cloudy here this early morning (for some reason, I'm having a difficult time adjusting back to EDT). We've been having very Florida-like weather here in the Insuranceman's Graveyard, with high temperatures (90s) and afternoon lightning and ...... thunder (sometimes you have to "wait on the thunder"). My girlfriend won't be up for another 4-5 hours, so I'm here, enjoying the solitude, listening to The Moody Blues.

My new engagement is proving difficult in that it's high-visibility within my own company, and therefore attracting a lot of management hanger-ons who want a piece of the credit if it's successful and to be able to say they warned me if it's not. Moreover, the client personnel are micro-managers, keeping me in meetings 5+ hours a day! Ah, for the days of the late 90s and London again, when/where the projects (and the women) were easy and the scotch flowed in unending torrents. But alas, in order to live the life we chose, many of us spend that life toiling away at tasks we don't chose. And now, The Moody Blues are singing...

22,000 days, 22,000 days it's not alot,
It's all you got 22,000 days
22,000 nights, 22,000 nights, it's all you know
So start the show and this time
Feel the flow and get it right

Which (as you knew it would) brings me to the...

TOTD: Given the brevity of life, the constant pressure of time, and the imminent spectre of death, what is your main focus, main goal, through which you chose (or would chose if you had the means) to life your life (we'll even make it a poll, but I'll explicate the choices a bit to enhance the poll choice word limit):

A. Individual-Oriented: You live primarily for yourself and attempt to shape your life so that you gain maximum enjoyment out of it. You sample the finer things (within your individual budget) and you enjoy the pleasures of the flesh

B. Family-Oriented: You live primarily for your family, your spouse, your children, and your children's children (damn! the ipod just changed to another Moody Blues album). You attempt to build a secure environment and legacy so that they will be taken care of

C. Humanity-Oriented: You live primarily for the good of the larger group, whether it be your community, your nation, or humanity at large. You attempt, in you daily life, to improve in any way you can, the lot of mankind (personkind?) as a whole

D. Spiritually-Oriented: You live primarily not for this life, but for the next. You recognize that this life is but a proving ground that tests your faith and prepares you for the true life that lasts for all eternity

Note from the Management: Due to the fact that this is a Sunday, not a Saturday, thread, there will be no specific JOOOOSSS option provided. Please direct all concerns regarding this matter to Bubba, with a cc to Rob.

And now, for something completely different, and in order to spruce up this thread a bit with a picture, I will post a totally gratuitous one of my cat, Wilson, in the dryer. I had considered doing a Sunday thread about the cats, but would have had to entitle it Sunday Chat, utilizing the French word, in order for it to audibly alliterate properly. However, I refrained as I felt that if I did that, I ran the risk of being labelled "elitist." :D

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/scdiver27/Wilsoninthedryer.jpg

DarkScribe
06-15-2008, 07:51 AM
Wow, CW...this may be your most elitist, rambling, Sunday morning mind numbing day thread post YET....but I digress...

TOTD: Family-oriented. By the way, that was a very cute pic of the cat. Shannon's mother has had some experience with felines and laundry dryers, but I will refrain from elaborating any further lest she whack me on the head...:cool:

Cold Warrior
06-15-2008, 07:55 AM
TOTD: Family-oriented. By the way, that was a very cute pic of the cat. Shannon's mother has had some experience with felines and laundry dryers, but I will refrain from elaborating any further lest she whack me on the head...:cool:

It's a poll! You know the rules.

DarkScribe
06-15-2008, 08:25 AM
It's a poll! You know the rules.

I just did....geez....pushy.....I was surprised one of the choices wasn't "But what about the JOOOS!"

Cold Warrior
06-15-2008, 08:35 AM
I just did....geez....pushy.....I was surprised one of the choices wasn't "But what about the JOOOS!"

That's all explained here...

Note from the Management: Due to the fact that this is a Sunday, not a Saturday, thread, there will be no specific JOOOOSSS option provided. Please direct all concerns regarding this matter to Bubba, with a cc to Rob.

DarkScribe
06-15-2008, 09:09 AM
That's all explained here...

Okay, I feel better now...whew...

DarkScribe
06-15-2008, 09:09 AM
By the way, you never answered your TOTD, yet...

biccat
06-15-2008, 09:34 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee88/scdiver27/Wilsoninthedryer.jpg
So that's how you keep them so fluffy? It all makes sense now.

Do you use dryer sheets?

Cold Warrior
06-15-2008, 09:55 AM
By the way, you never answered your TOTD, yet...

I'm keeping everyone in suspense regarding my answer. :D

Shannon
06-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm keeping everyone in suspense regarding my answer. :D

And oh how suspenseful it is! I'm just dying to know!

I'm organizing my junk drawers today. Hold back your envy, folks.

TOTD: It's all about The Brat. I'll be rid of him in a decade or so though. I won't have the slightest clue what to do then.

Shannon
06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh, I just wanted to add that I appreciate your Sunday threads, CW. You have always followed the rules. I never have to stress about the Sunday thread.:D

LibraryLady
06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I admire your Sunday TOTDs. My problem is that it is usually about Wednesday before I decide what I want to say!

I am a mixture of all 4 poll results so I say "all of the above".

Love the cat. I have a cat problem right now. One of my cats has been at the vets for almost 2 weeks for treatment for a urinary infection (I had problems giving her the meds). When we picked her up yesterday, her "brother" started hissing and avoiding her. They have been together for 4 years and never had a problem. Does she just smell like the kennel or something? Weird.

DarkScribe
06-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Actually, I never said I loathe or hate your Sunday threads, CW. I am flattered to have one (partially) dedicated to me. I think. :D

Goldwater
06-15-2008, 02:23 PM
CW you're the most elitist guy I know.

lurkalot
06-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Your Sunday threads give me a headache! I get paid to think, you want me to just give it away?
(nice Chapin reference BTW)
anyway, in response, this is the sum total reason for my existence on this earth, there is no other:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/lurksalot/innocence.jpg

Cold Warrior
06-15-2008, 10:15 PM
CW you're the most elitist guy I know.

Thanks, GW. Coming from you, that is a true compliment. :D

Cold Warrior
06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Your Sunday threads give me a headache! I get paid to think, you want me to just give it away?
(nice Chapin reference BTW)
anyway, in response, this is the sum total reason for my existence on this earth, there is no other:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j115/lurksalot/innocence.jpg

Hey! One cute picture per thread and I already posted it! :D

Thanks for catching the Chapin. Others pop culture references included Seinfeld ("What about the baaabies"), The Moody Blues (To Our Children's Children), Seger ("wait for the thunder"), and Groundhog Day ("drink to world peace").

Gingersnap
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
This was a tough choice since I have done all of them at one or another. However, I was completely captivated by the idea of drinking for World Peace. It seems exactly like the sort of self-serving yet attractive empty gesture that would appeal to me on some Friday night.

If only all ideological purity tests could be this easy. :D

Cold Warrior
06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
This was a tough choice since I have done all of them at one or another. However, I was completely captivated by the idea of drinking for World Peace. It seems exactly like the sort of self-serving yet attractive empty gesture that would appeal to me on some Friday night.

If only all ideological purity tests could be this easy. :D

Well, the drinking part, at least, seems good! :D