PDA

View Full Version : Fish kill in Florida

Retread
03-25-2016, 09:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/25/us/florida-fish-kill/index.html

Usually idyllic beaches, waterways and estuaries near the massive, biodiverse ecosystem along central Florida's Atlantic coast are littered with scores of dead, rotting fish; an estimated hundreds of thousands of them are floating belly up in brackish, polluted water as far as the eye can see.
"The heartbreaking images can be seen for miles," said Mike Conner, who has been fishing the area since the 1970s. "All up and down the coast, it's the same story, and it could get worse before it gets better."

SarasotaRepub
03-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Oh for fucks sake, its happened before and it'll happen again!

"Our oysters are dead, seagrasses are dead," said Conner, the fisherman. "It (will be) hard to recover. You never fully recover."

Bullshit.

SaintLouieWoman
03-25-2016, 10:43 PM
It sounds like red tide. We saw it in Sarasota, along the beaches there a couple of years ago. USF studies it, along with Mote Marine in Sarasota. The smell is awful. I noticed it right away when we were walking one of the beaches. SR didn't notice it at first. It really bothers folks with any lung problem. I felt really sick, had to get away. It didn't bother SR, but he has no problems with the lungs. I have pulmonary hypertension, which usually causes no problems. But red tide really gets to me.

As SR says, it comes and goes. Here's hoping the ocean continues to renew itself, but those red tides have been around for God only knows how many years.

SarasotaRepub
03-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Mother Nature is a tad more resilient than the average
libtard gives her credit for.

Contrary to what the kook Left try's to feed people, Republicans
don't want to destroy the planet. That's a premise so fucking
stupid only the weakest minded fools believe it. (DUmmies for example)

What we are for is responsible environmental laws that don't
throw us back into the horse & buggy age and destroy
the economy.

SVPete
03-26-2016, 09:30 AM
... in brackish, polluted water as far as the eye can see.

Is this an equivocal attempt to blame the fish kill on humans? Enviros predictably jump to that conclusion, and are usually wrong. If it proves to be a red tide, it's a phenomenon that has been happening for millennia. One of the seldom recognized benefits of the ban in the Law of Moses on eating shellfish is that it avoids red tides and similar events that make shellfish seasonally dangerous to eat. Obviously, the technology to recognize such conditions was millennia in the future.