PDA

View Full Version : Any lawyers want to take a guess?

AlmostThere
11-04-2008, 04:16 AM
Orange, CA deputies legally arrested a Muslim woman. As part of the arrest, they had her remove her hijab. For that infraction of her religious rights, Orange is paying $45,000 of which she will get $10,000.

Can anyone venture a guess why Orange should have agreed to pay 5 cents, much less $45,000? We've just gone totally nuts I guess. She was represented by the ACLU, surprise, surprise.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,446345,00.html

PoliCon
11-04-2008, 08:05 AM
lady - you want to wear that crap without having to take it off - move to Iran. NO ONE should be allowed to cover their face in public in this country except under special circumstances.

Celtic Rose
11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
lady - you want to wear that crap without having to take it off - move to Iran. NO ONE should be allowed to cover their face in public in this country except under special circumstances.

To be fair, I think the Hijab is the headscarf, not the full body suit. I fully support the protection of religious rights, however, forbidding police from removing a woman's hijab could pose a serious threat to their safety. :cool: and $45,000 is a pretty outrageous sum.

expat-pattaya
11-04-2008, 09:41 AM
It is insanity. If someone is under arrest some of your rights are forfeit for the safety of you and the officers. Like being handcuffed. My religion forbids being handcuffed but I bet they don't care.:mad:

If they removed it to make sure she wasn't carrying drugs or weapons fair game and screw her and her cult religion.

PoliCon
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
To be fair, I think the Hijab is the headscarf, not the full body suit. I fully support the protection of religious rights, however, forbidding police from removing a woman's hijab could pose a serious threat to their safety. :cool: and $45,000 is a pretty outrageous sum.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab depends upon her tradition - but it often does cover the face. Either way - if you are arrested - they have the right and the duty to fully catalog your identity including unadorned pictures of the head and face.

AlmostThere
11-05-2008, 05:21 AM
$45,000 for a headscarf. Image if they'd done a strip-search and cavity search. Being Muslim she'd own half of California, where a non-muslim would just be cold and naked.

crockspot
11-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Don't they usually require you to completely strip and put on a jumpsuit in most county jails?

noonwitch
11-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Don't they usually require you to completely strip and put on a jumpsuit in most county jails?

Yes, but not necessarily at a police lockup, when they expect someone to be bailed out for misdemeanors in a short period of time.

Still, having her remove and shake out her hijab, then letting her put it back on again should have been the reasonable solution. If necessary, only have female officers present at the time-that's what they do when they do strip search female inmates. Male officers aren't allowed to do that.

Celtic Rose
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab depends upon her tradition - but it often does cover the face. Either way - if you are arrested - they have the right and the duty to fully catalog your identity including unadorned pictures of the head and face.

Thank you for the link :) And as stated above, I completely agree that the police have the right, and the duty, to fully identify a person, as well as ensure that they are not concealing any weapons.