PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust Google to always be listening inside your Home?

Elspeth
05-20-2016, 07:13 PM
This is the two-way television screen from 1984 on steroids...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/20/11719122/Google-home-trust-poll

...Now, thanks to Google I/O 2016, Iím faced with a new conundrum: Google Home.

Do I really trust Google enough to place its data-gathering appliance in my living room, where itíll always be on and always be listening?

...You may argue that Android and iOS phones are already listening, patiently waiting for an "Okay, Google" or "Hey, Siri" to kick into action. But phones are personal and not equipped with powerful microphone arrays and far-field voice recognition technology. While my phone can pick up my voice when itís nearby and not inside my pocket or bag, Google Home, or Amazonís Echo for that matter, can pick up conversations from anywhere in the room, even with my wife and kids. And once hooked, the companies want us to place their mics in every room of the house. It all sounds so ominous.

Right now itís only Amazon and Google who've built such sophisticated personal assistants for the home. But Microsoftís Kinect is also listening, as are Samsung TVs. And how long before Apple and Microsoft offer their own personal assistants for Siri and Cortana? Hell, even Sonos is looking to get in on the action.

Personally, I think I'll wait to see what Apple and Sonos do since I'm already living inside that ecosystem. But what about you? When the day comes that you willingly place internet-attached microphones into every room of the house? Which company will you trust with the responsibility?