PDA

View Full Version : Medvedev: Russia to Deploy Missiles in Response to U.S. Missile Shield

cat714
11-05-2008, 05:53 AM
This is just breaking on FOX.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/460021/1_61_Medvedev_Dmitry.jpg

MOSCOW President Dmitry Medvedev says Russia will deploy missiles in its Baltic Sea territory in response to U.S. missile defense plans.

Medvedev says the short-range Iskander missiles will be deployed to the Kaliningrad region which borders NATO members Poland and Lithuania. He has not said how many missiles will be deployed or whether they will be fitted with nuclear warheads.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,447204,00.html

crockspot
11-05-2008, 06:44 AM
That was fast. Do you think we would have ever been reading this story if McCain had been elected?

crockspot
11-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Iran all of a sudden is uppity too.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE4A43PQ20081105

americangirl
11-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Is this another Cold War? Sad thing is, our current Cold Warriors are wimps. Show some muscle!

linda22003
11-05-2008, 08:10 AM
That was fast. Do you think we would have ever been reading this story if McCain had been elected?

Yes. I have been following this story for some time as part of my job. The Russians have been making unhappy noises about our missile defense plans for several months now. I pick up about five stories on this per week in the defense/military related press.

noonwitch
11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes. I have been following this story for some time as part of my job. The Russians have been making unhappy noises about our missile defense plans for several months now. I pick up about five stories on this per week in the defense/military related press.

I don't remember when it was, but I also read about it a few months ago, when the missle defense plans were first announced. The russians responded with threats to deploy more missles.

I actually support the missle defense system, and think we should try to convince the russians that it is a good thing for our planet. That technology will lead to the method to break up asteroids that threaten the entire planet, including Russia.

Odysseus
11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Obama's first crisis sure didn't take very long, did it? But since he's promised to eliminate our missile defenses, that shouldn't be a problem, since Russia is only interested in world peace and is only putting their offensive weapons forward because we've put up a purely defensive weapon as a provocation. :rolleyes: Anyone for a chorus of Kumbaya?

I don't remember when it was, but I also read about it a few months ago, when the missle defense plans were first announced. The russians responded with threats to deploy more missles.

I actually support the missle defense system, and think we should try to convince the russians that it is a good thing for our planet. That technology will lead to the method to break up asteroids that threaten the entire planet, including Russia.

Uh, no. The particle beam systems have limited range and the ballistic interceptors won't have the punch to take out an asteroid. We'll still have to rely on Starfleet Command to protect us from that. :rolleyes: They have one use right now, and that is to provide protection from missiles. The Russians don't want us to have this protection for two reasons: First, without their nuclear arsenal, they're a Third World country in every way that matters. Their sole claim to superpower status is their capacity to reach out and touch someone with a thermonuclear bouquet. Second, as an arms exporter, missile technology is one of the few areas where they can make a buck outside of their energy interests. Right now, Russia is proliferating missile technology throughout the world, which, BTW, is a viciously destabilizing influence, but they could care less, and anything that reduces the effectiveness of their exports is bad for the pocketbook.

noonwitch
11-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Obama's first crisis sure didn't take very long, did it? But since he's promised to eliminate our missile defenses, that shouldn't be a problem, since Russia is only interested in world peace and is only putting their offensive weapons forward because we've put up a purely defensive weapon as a provocation. :rolleyes: Anyone for a chorus of Kumbaya?

Uh, no. The particle beam systems have limited range and the ballistic interceptors won't have the punch to take out an asteroid. We'll still have to rely on Starfleet Command to protect us from that. :rolleyes: They have one use right now, and that is to provide protection from missiles. The Russians don't want us to have this protection for two reasons: First, without their nuclear arsenal, they're a Third World country in every way that matters. Their sole claim to superpower status is their capacity to reach out and touch someone with a thermonuclear bouquet. Second, as an arms exporter, missile technology is one of the few areas where they can make a buck outside of their energy interests. Right now, Russia is proliferating missile technology throughout the world, which, BTW, is a viciously destabilizing influence, but they could care less, and anything that reduces the effectiveness of their exports is bad for the pocketbook.

I don't know much about science, I just kind of figured that one technology will lead to another. I support the research being done by those who do understand science. The missle defense system started out as the Star Wars project, something that people laughed at Reagan over. The next thing you know, we had Patriot missles to use in the first Gulf War.

GrumpyOldLady
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/head-in-sand.jpg

Welcome to reality Obama.

Wonder if he is too busy with his reelection staff to get to work on this.

(his acceptance speech went like this .... 'we may not get it all done in a year, or even in the first term ... ' He was ALREADY running for reelection.

Odysseus
11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
I don't know much about science, I just kind of figured that one technology will lead to another. I support the research being done by those who do understand science. The missle defense system started out as the Star Wars project, something that people laughed at Reagan over. The next thing you know, we had Patriot missles to use in the first Gulf War.

The Patriots were actually an anti-aircraft system, modified for use against SCUDs, and were only partially successful (but partially is better than not at all). The basic premise, that you can shoot down one moving object with another, remains valid. The use of a missile shield to protect against space-based threats is a possible evolutionary development, but the current systems are not capable of that kind of mission. We'd need to be able to project a particle beam out well beyond the atmosphere for it to be effective, and any projectile would have to be capable of drilling into an asteroid and detonating a payload. That's very different from the kinds of projectiles used for taking out missiles or aircraft, which are much more fragile targets.

The most viable courses of action for the asteroid threat remain:

Space shuttle equipped with modified oil-drilling equipment, nuclear device and A-List celebrities
Construction of massive "space ark" with 4:1 female to male ratio
Submission to Emperor Ming the Merciless
Implementation of "corbomite" device bluff, which should scare asteroid into retreat
Space-based Atari system to destroy asteroids from maneuverable platforms with cutting edge 1980s graphics
:D

BadCat
11-05-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/head-in-sand.jpg

Welcome to reality Obama.

Wonder if he is too busy with his reelection staff to get to work on this.

(his acceptance speech went like this .... 'we may not get it all done in a year, or even in the first term ... ' He was ALREADY running for reelection.

It's all he knows how to do.
It's not like he was ever in the Senate.

enslaved1
11-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Sure we would, it would be front page and spun as McCain/Bush's fault, even though it has been building for a while.

LogansPapa
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM
The most viable courses of action for the asteroid threat remain: :rolleyes:

(what an asshole) :p

Odysseus
11-05-2008, 03:33 PM
The most viable courses of action for the asteroid threat remain: :rolleyes:

(what an asshole) :p

You have a problem?

LogansPapa
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
You have a problem?

No Sir, Major. I thought your belittling attempt at humor was spot-on. ;)

PoliCon
11-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Nope. Because they know that McCain actually has standards while B.O. will slide all over the place to keep his poll numbers up.