PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacations

Phillygirl
06-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm going to Utah this summer. I'll be taking a 12 year old and we're going to Moab for some hiking and white water rafting.

What are y'all doing?

jendf
06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm going to Las Vegas in late-July. Mom and sister are going as well. Moms and daughters who drink and gamble together stay together. That's our motto. :D

Phillygirl
06-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm going to Las Vegas in late-July. Mom and sister are going as well. Moms and daughters who drink and gamble together stay together. That's our motto. :D

That sounds like fun! I've never been to Vegas and would probably do it as an all girls weekend as well.

LibraryLady
06-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I think it's a staycation for me this year.

DarkScribe
06-15-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm going to Utah this summer. I'll be taking a 12 year old and we're going to Moab for some hiking and white water rafting.

What are y'all doing?

Who's the lucky 12 year old? :p

Phillygirl
06-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Who's the lucky 12 year old? :p

My middle nephew. He's probably the most athletic of the 4 of them and would like the outdoorsy stuff (I'm trying to decide if we're going to go canyoneering...so far I've settled on a hummber tour through Canyonlands Park, with a hike through Arches and then a 2 day whitewater rafting trip). If all goes well in a year or two I may take more of them for a 5 day white water rafting trip through the Grand Canyon.

Space Gravy
06-15-2008, 06:28 PM
In this economy!!!! Y'all must be trust fund babies.

SaintLouieWoman
06-15-2008, 08:30 PM
My middle nephew. He's probably the most athletic of the 4 of them and would like the outdoorsy stuff (I'm trying to decide if we're going to go canyoneering...so far I've settled on a hummber tour through Canyonlands Park, with a hike through Arches and then a 2 day whitewater rafting trip). If all goes well in a year or two I may take more of them for a 5 day white water rafting trip through the Grand Canyon.
Canyonlands and Arches Parks are awesome. They were more impressive to me than the Grand Canyon, because they aren't so crowded and more primitive, particularly Canyonlands. They don't have the handprints of humans on them yet, just totally wild and beautiful.

I'm jealous, haven't been there for over 3 years. Have a greyt trip, should be fun.

No more trips for us, sigh. We were in Florida for a week the beginning of May, so we're done for the year. Really need another vacation.

Phillygirl
06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Canyonlands and Arches Parks are awesome. They were more impressive to me than the Grand Canyon, because they aren't so crowded and more primitive, particularly Canyonlands. They don't have the handprints of humans on them yet, just totally wild and beautiful.

I'm jealous, haven't been there for over 3 years. Have a greyt trip, should be fun.

No more trips for us, sigh. We were in Florida for a week the beginning of May, so we're done for the year. Really need another vacation.

I wasn't going to take one this summer since I went away in February...but I'm antsy. So it's sort of a last minute thing. I really loved the Grand Canyon and have been dying to get back out west.

SaintLouieWoman
06-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I wasn't going to take one this summer since I went away in February...but I'm antsy. So it's sort of a last minute thing. I really loved the Grand Canyon and have been dying to get back out west.

Understand the antsy thing, have that syndrome myself. The best vacations are those last minute things. If you loved the Grand Canyon, you'll really like Canyonlands and Arches. Be careful in Canyonlands, it's very remote. There aren't many visitors there, at least not when I was there.

I prefer the West to any beach in the world, truly God's country. But when I go on a vacation, I don't like going where there are condos spoiling the beach views. I prefer remote---maybe see too many people on my job and just like to go to a quiet place.

Shannon
06-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I think I'll just stay here in Hell this year.

CLibertarian
06-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I have some business travel to the Sacramento area coming up in July or early August. My wife and sone will probably come along so that we can visit with my mother-in-law in the Reno area. She had a close call health wise a couiple of months back. She's my son's only living grandparent.

Jumpy
06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I will be taking 2 long weekends at a cabin (house) that sits on 175 acres of property in the mountains of Tioga County. We will do some target practice with real guns.. woohooo... ride 4 wheelers, hike, and relax.

Phillygirl
06-15-2008, 09:22 PM
I will be taking 2 long weekends at a cabin (house) that sits on 175 acres of property in the mountains of Tioga County. We will do some target practice with real guns.. woohooo... ride 4 wheelers, hike, and relax.

Sounds fun. Tioga County is beautiful.

Phillygirl
06-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I think I'll just stay here in Hell this year.

You should travel...bring some hell to the little people.

lurkalot
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Disney in a couple months. In the meantime the usual stuff, camping in the mountains

linda22003
06-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I'll take a few long weekends this summer, but my husband and I vacation in the spring and fall. We leave the summer vacations to those with children, then we'll hit the quiet, de-populated beaches of the Outer Banks in early October.

asdf2231
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Two weeks in Amish country this July with the family. Lancaster PA with side trips.

Shannon
06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Two weeks in Amish country this July with the family. Lancaster PA with side trips.

Two weeks in Amish country? Good God, man!

Cold Warrior
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
We normally do late Spring and early Fall vacations (this year we did France in May/June and it's Romania in September), rather than summer ones -- that way we avoid the touristas and their wonderful, darling, beautiful children. However, I had planned to do the first week in August in Paris this year for my girlfriend's birthday, but am reconsidering as I'm spending two (separate) weeks in Zurich on business and may bring her over for both so we can do Geneva and possibly northern Italy. It would only cost me her plane fare and a few extra days of hotel; one should always take advantage of that most wonderful gift from heaven -- OPM. :D

linda22003
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Transportation around the area can be pretty slow.
http://traveldreamsite.blogs.com/photos/lancaster_pennsylvania/buggy.png

asdf2231
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM

A good chunk of that I am going to be at a gaming convention while the family goes out and hits Hershey Park and travels into the hinterlands to see people put together furniture with wooden pegs and drive slowly down state roads clogging traffic in buggies. :D

Plus we are visiting friends in the area.

Me, I'm going to be spending as much time as I can cooping up at the hotel pool with a bucket of Honey Wiese and a few good books and seeing how ladies swim suit styles have changed lately.

It's like anthropology field work. :D

Junebug68
06-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm going to Playa del Carmen to an all-inclusive resort woo hoo! I'm going to see Chichen Itza, go swimming with dolphins, and drink all I want for free at the swim up bar :D

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM

Very cool. Let me know if I can help you out with any ideas for side trips. Beautiful country and there's lots to do within an hour of any direction. Are you going to hit Hershey Park?

ETA: Just read your follow up post...Hershey Park it is!!

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm going to Playa del Carmen to an all-inclusive resort woo hoo! I'm going to see Chichen Itza, go swimming with dolphins, and drink all I want for free at the swim up bar :D

Very fun!!! I am not permitted at any swim up bars any more!

Junebug68
06-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Very fun!!! I am not permitted at any swim up bars any more!

May I inquire why? :D

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
May I inquire why? :D

Because the more alcohol I drink the more fluent in Spanish I believe myself to be. However, apparently I'm only fluent in asking "make it a double please". :D

Jumpy
06-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey!!!! I live here!! :mad:

Junebug68
06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Because the more alcohol I drink the more fluent in Spanish I believe myself to be. However, apparently I'm only fluent in asking "make it a double please". :D

Nothing wrong with a few doubles :p

Jumpy
06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
A good chunk of that I am going to be at a gaming convention while the family goes out and hits Hershey Park and travels into the hinterlands to see people put together furniture with wooden pegs and drive slowly down state roads clogging traffic in buggies. :D

Plus we are visiting friends in the area.

Me, I'm going to be spending as much time as I can cooping up at the hotel pool with a bucket of Honey Wiese and a few good books and seeing how ladies swim suit styles have changed lately.

It's like anthropology field work. :D If you are in Lancaster County, you will be terrifyingly near me. YIKES!!! If you want any tips on avoiding touristy commercialized places, let me know. I hope you get away from the tourism, and find little local places, which are the best, and not nearly as expensive.

Places like the Sales Stables, where all of the Amish, and others, sell, and buy livestock.. beautiful horses auctioned off, if you like that sort of thing. Local diners where you can eat good, greasy, for REALLY cheap. Great for breakfast. The BEST place that I know of to eat, if you want to sit down, and have a really good meal is with a local Amish family that will take you into their farm home, and sit down and eat with you, if they have time... the kids help to prepare and serve, etc. Like a family style meal, only this is not a restaurant.. it is pretty hush-hush, and they do not advertise at all. It is practically in my backyard, and they are not even in the phone book... mostly just word of mouth. They suggest a $14. donation, per person.. kids are less, I am sure. I am sure that you are free to tour the farm as well.

If you want any info.. just ask. If you have any questions at all, while you are here, I would be happy to give you my cell number. I hope you have a great time in Lancaster County, and Hershey, PA.

asdf2231
06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
If you are in Lancaster County, you will be terrifyingly near me. YIKES!!! If you want any tips on avoiding touristy commercialized places, let me know. I hope you get away from the tourism, and find little local places, which are the best, and not nearly as expensive.

Places like the Sales Stables, where all of the Amish, and others, sell, and buy livestock.. beautiful horses auctioned off, if you like that sort of thing. Local diners where you can eat good, greasy, for REALLY cheap. Great for breakfast. The BEST place that I know of to eat, if you want to sit down, and have a really good meal is with a local Amish family that will take you into their farm home, and sit down and eat with you, if they have time... the kids help to prepare and serve, etc. Like a family style meal, only this is not a restaurant.. it is pretty hush-hush, and they do not advertise at all. It is practically in my backyard, and they are not even in the phone book... mostly just word of mouth. They suggest a $14. donation, per person.. kids are less, I am sure. I am sure that you are free to tour the farm as well.

If you want any info.. just ask. If you have any questions at all, while you are here, I would be happy to give you my cell number. I hope you have a great time in Lancaster County, and Hershey, PA.

Thanks!

I have been going to conventions at the Host in Lancaster at least once a year for going on 10 years now.

it's always been one of my favorite places to go. We are unfortunately going to be hitting a lot of the "Touristy" things to amuse the kids, lol. After 10 years of avoidance I am finally getting dragged to Dutch Wonderland, lol! My favorite place to go out there is the family style resteraunt, (Lapps?) off of the main drag, where they pass the bowls around the table and everyone serves themselves. It's a traditional stop. :)

Shannon
06-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey!!!! I live here!! :mad:

Yes, I know.

Phillygirl
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks!

I have been going to conventions at the Host in Lancaster at least once a year for going on 10 years now.

it's always been one of my favorite places to go. We are unfortunately going to be hitting a lot of the "Touristy" things to amuse the kids, lol. After 10 years of avoidance I am finally getting dragged to Dutch Wonderland, lol! My favorite place to go out there is the family style resteraunt, (Lapps?) off of the main drag, where they pass the bowls around the table and everyone serves themselves. It's a traditional stop. :)

Have you been out to Longwood Gardens? If not, it's well worth it. How old are the kids? Depending on the age, and if they are going to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland may be a huge waste of money for you.

Jumpy
06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks!

it's always been one of my favorite places to go. We are unfortunately going to be hitting a lot of the "Touristy" things to amuse the kids, lol. After 10 years of avoidance I am finally getting dragged to Dutch Wonderland, lol! My favorite place to go out there is the family style resteraunt, (Lapps?) off of the main drag, where they pass the bowls around the table and everyone serves themselves. It's a traditional stop. :) Dutch Wonderland is GREAT for kids!

I think the family style place you are talking about is Good 'n Plenty, or maybe it is Lapp Valley Farms. I have tried GnP, but havent been to Lapp Valley Farms. . GnP is GREAT eating.. my son worked there for his first job, all through highschool.

Be sure to do some driving, and get off the main drag of RT. 30.. Lincoln Highway east, and tour the country. Buy some fresh produce from the locals off the beaten path.

asdf2231
06-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Have you been out to Longwood Gardens? If not, it's well worth it. How old are the kids? Depending on the age, and if they are going to Hershey, Dutch Wonderland may be a huge waste of money for you.

Mancub turns 7 in August and Little She Who Must Be Obeyed is 14.

Dutch Wonderland is a tradition with my friends who hit it with their kids on the last day of the convention weekend. Their kidlings are all about the same age as my youngest.

Phillygirl
06-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Mancub turns 7 in August and Little She Who Must Be Obeyed is 14.

Dutch Wonderland is a tradition with my friends who hit it with their kids on the last day of the convention weekend. Their kidlings are all about the same age as my youngest.

The youngest will like it. She who must be obeyed will roll her eyes a lot I suspect. It's a great park for the little ones. There's not much there for the 14 year old.