PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Obama: 21 st Century Jackie Kennedy

Sonnabend
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24609577-5012572,00.html

Michelle Obama calls herself the new mum-in-chief but admirers say she's a 21st Century Jackie Kennedy who will bring glamour back to the White House

You have got to be kidding me..

SHE initially did not want her husband to run for president. But yesterday Michelle Obama was being hailed as a key player in Barack Obama's White House triumph.

Mrs Obama was so crucial to clinching victory that campaign aides nicknamed her The Closer.

Now she is making history all of her own by becoming America's first black First Lady in the White House.

She calls herself the new mum-in-chief but her admirers are labelling her as a 21st Century Jackie Kennedy who will bring glamour back to the White House.

The 44-year-old emerged from the shadows to attract a spotlight of her own during her husband's exhausting 22-month campaign.

When Senator Obama had to break off from electioneering just days before the election to visit his dying grandmother in Hawaii, it was Mrs Obama he called on to step in for him at events he had to miss.

Far from being angry at the Democrat candidate's no-show, huge crowds happily cheered on his wife. It was just the latest example of the influence the striking 178cm Ivy League-educated lawyer had on her 47-year-old husband's quest.

Lady, Jackie Kennedy was a classy, brave and intelligent woman. You ain't her...not even close.

LogansPapa
11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Lady, Jackie Kennedy was a classy, brave and intelligent woman. You ain't her...not even close.

:eek: Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouch :eek:

wineslob
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
And so starts the Obamassiah's rise to the "New Camelot".

Excuse me while I vomit.

Gingersnap
11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Jackie was a lot of things and not all of them were admirable. As a taxpayer, I really don't want to pay for a lot 'Camelot' moments for Michelle and her zillions of close friends.

It's worth remembering that the original meaning of 'glamour' describes magical illusions and deceptions. ;)

flaja
11-05-2008, 08:45 PM
You mean that she is a high maintenance social climber whose husband is a philandering scumbag?

Gingersnap
11-05-2008, 09:02 PM
You mean that she is a high maintenance social climber whose husband is a philandering scumbag?

Well, being a smoker nowadays is the moral equivalent of banging underage drunken teens, so maybe. :p

flaja
11-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Well, being a smoker nowadays is the moral equivalent of banging underage drunken teens, so maybe. :p

Well, just old was Mary Jo?

marinejcksn
11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Wait til all the "Jackie O ended up a widow" crap comes out of this story....suddenly all the assasination bunk is flying everywhere now that Obama won. People need to just calm down, suck it up and fight everything this administration tries to do...with our voices and inteligence.

Gingersnap
11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Good Lord! I'm so sick of reliving the glory days of formerly adolescent Boomers. The White House is not 'Camelot', Michelle Obama is not Jackie Kennedy, Obama himself is not JFK, we aren't living in the 60s, Iraq is not Vietnam, and the chattering classes need to get over that whole time-marches-on thing.

Obama will rise or fall based on his behavior in the here and now - not on his fictitious resemblance to a previous office-holder.

The 60s are over.

LogansPapa
11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Good Lord!

The 60s are over.

NO THEY"RE NOT!!! :mad:

Gingersnap
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
NO THEY"RE NOT!!! :mad:

Yes, they are. You can take all the little pills you want and you can smoke weed at home and wear those hideous R. Crumb teeshirts but now it's time to let the current, real grownups frame the worldview.

Also, your music sucks. :)

Eyelids
11-05-2008, 10:28 PM

Well... not all of it.

LogansPapa
11-05-2008, 10:32 PM

I'm officially declaring Mean Mommy!

I drive three mid-sixties American vehicles and I'm not letting them go! :mad::mad::mad:

Gingersnap
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Well... not all of it.

Enough of it. When AARP starts using your generational anthems to push low-cost funeral plans, it's time to give up the forever-young meme.

Sonnabend
11-05-2008, 11:55 PM
I drive three mid-sixties American vehicles and I'm not letting them go! :mad:

Oh god...no...please tell me you don't wear a ducktail :eek::eek:

Aaron Burr
11-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Look, Jackie Ho is no Jackie O. The Sixties are the root of all evil and America stopped making music from 1964 to 1979. That whole Woodstock thing was faked on a Hollywood sound stage.

Also, wasn't some Crumb art looted from those museums in Iraq?

Zathras
11-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Michelle Obama as the next Jackie Kenedey? Hardly...but that dress she was wearing last night had me thinking Michelle Obama, Black Widow spider.

marinejcksn
11-06-2008, 02:15 AM
I drive three mid-sixties American vehicles and I'm not letting them go! ::mad:

Only good thing about that decade was the american muscle cars. Other then that, the 1960's had:

Stinky Hippies
Shite music
More stinky Hippies

My generation could kick your generation's arse. :p:D

Zathras
11-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Well... not all of it.

Yes...all of it.

Hawkgirl
11-06-2008, 03:13 AM
The dress she wore last night was hideous.

Nubs
11-06-2008, 06:24 AM
If the Clinton Admin's themesong was "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac

Is the Obama Admins " Movin on Up" from the Jeffersons?

GrumpyOldLady
11-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Jackie Kennedy didn't look this ugly - and she didn't hang out with terrorists like this -

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/1ayers006.jpg

Jackie? I think not!

http://www.obamablog08.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/michelle-obama-mad.jpg

I wish I could find a bigger picture of this -

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/images.jpeg

GrumpyOldLady
11-06-2008, 06:48 AM
jackie kennedy wasn't a racist pig like Michelle -

video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryz1LBhyMIw&feature=related)

Jumpy
11-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Jackie Kennedy would not have been caught dead wearing jeans that ... how do I put this delicately... fit improperly.

http://www.onblastatlast.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ap081102012960__opt.jpg

In spite of the too small jeans, I think she will make a beautiful First Lady. Hopefully she has a wardrobe adviser.

biccat
11-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Jackie Kennedy would not have been caught dead wearing jeans that ... how do I put this delicately... fit improperly.

I think this is what you were trying to say:
http://cheapsnakehooks.com/misc/camel%20toe.jpg

flaja
11-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm officially declaring Mean Mommy!

I drive three mid-sixties American vehicles and I'm not letting them go! :mad::mad::mad:

And I bet that you call yourself an environmentalist as well.

noonwitch
11-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Michelle Obama as the next Jackie Kenedey? Hardly...but that dress she was wearing last night had me thinking Michelle Obama, Black Widow spider.

I couldn't believe that she was wearing that dress, it was awful. She wore some really nice things during the campaign, too. She should have gone to Coldwater Creek, not to the Dress Barn.

I hope she lets Oprah find her a good designer for her ball gown.

lacarnut
11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I couldn't believe that she was wearing that dress, it was awful. She wore some really nice things during the campaign, too. She should have gone to Coldwater Creek, not to the Dress Barn.

Outward appearance, money and position can not mask what a person has inside them. Michelle has no class; that is something that you can not manufacture.

flaja
11-06-2008, 10:34 AM

I doubt that many of the taxpayers that will be paying for her husbandís spending spree can even afford Dressbarn, so whatís your beef? We just elected a president, not a king and Mrs. Obama hasnít been elected to anything.

LogansPapa
11-06-2008, 10:45 AM
And I bet that you call yourself an environmentalist as well.

Nah - Iíve picked many a bunny out of the ACís front induction - pasted to the 8-row aluminum radiator.

I love it when they try to make it to the other shoulder. :cool:

noonwitch
11-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I doubt that many of the taxpayers that will be paying for her husbandís spending spree can even afford Dressbarn, so whatís your beef? We just elected a president, not a king and Mrs. Obama hasnít been elected to anything.

I don't have a beef. I actually like Michelle Obama. I just think she could have found a better dress. Coldwater Creek isn't that expensive, and their stuff is good quality. I buy clothes there once in a while, just like I do at Nordstrom or Macy's. If I buy a good dress at Nordstrom, it lasts me a decade or more. If I buy a cheap one at Dress Barn, I'll be lucky if it makes it through one season.

flaja
11-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't have a beef. I actually like Michelle Obama. I just think she could have found a better dress. Coldwater Creek isn't that expensive, and their stuff is good quality. I buy clothes there once in a while, just like I do at Nordstrom or Macy's. If I buy a good dress at Nordstrom, it lasts me a decade or more. If I buy a cheap one at Dress Barn, I'll be lucky if it makes it through one season.

And all the while we in the real world have far more important things to worry about that what Michelle Obama is wearing. And again, very few of us taxpayers who will have to pay for Obama's spending can afford Macy's, let alone Nordstrom.

Gingersnap
11-06-2008, 01:05 PM
And all the while we in the real world have far more important things to worry about that what Michelle Obama is wearing. And again, very few of us taxpayers who will have to pay for Obama's spending can afford Macy's, let alone Nordstrom.

Good grief! It's not like we only have x number of threads available for members to use on any given day. She can offer her fashion insights and you can start a more compelling thread on a more serious topic.

That 'New Thread' button works pretty much 24/7. :D

noonwitch
11-06-2008, 02:21 PM

I'm a taxpayer, too. It's not like anyone has a choice about paying taxes. While you're busy worrying all weekend about Obama spending your tax money, I'll be shopping at Nordstrom, because it's their big "Half Yearly Sale" on womens' and kids' clothes.

Sorry, Ginger, I probably should let it drop, but jeez. I can take on real world problems better when I'm wearing a pretty dress.

bbasher79
11-07-2008, 09:59 AM
The dress she wore last night was hideous.

Matched her face well, though.