PDA

View Full Version : Obama's "Hell Dress". Pic.

Gingersnap
11-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I missed seeing her dress the other night but the GD thread got me curious and so I went to find it. Wonkette dubbed it the "Hell Dress".

http://i34.tinypic.com/255uyl5.jpg

biccat
11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Just sayin'...
http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/img/BlackWidowSpider.jpg

Speedy
11-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Jackie O she is not.

Celtic Rose
11-06-2008, 09:41 AM
That is not a good dress. Especially with the little cardigan over it :o

Speedy
11-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Since when do ghetto hoochie mamas know how to dress anyway?

Gingersnap
11-06-2008, 10:05 AM
That is not a good dress. Especially with the little cardigan over it :o

It's not flattering fit, that's for sure. Even the model looks hippy and awkward. Michelle should have looked at something in solid red with a little more design ease or swing.

LogansPapa
11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Who told her that looked good? :eek:

Shannon
11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
It's not flattering fit, that's for sure. Even the model looks hippy and awkward. Michelle should have looked at something in solid red with a little more design ease or swing.

Definitely not flattering. Michelle almost looks pregnant at first glance.

linda22003
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
The dress is pretty dreadful. I'm not sure why one of us had to resort to racist epithets during his fashion commentary, but likely he doesn't know any better.

patriot45
11-06-2008, 02:52 PM
At least he spelt it right!

Speedy
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
The dress is pretty dreadful. I'm not sure why one of us had to resort to racist epithets during his fashion commentary, but likely he doesn't know any better.

Well, get used to it. I am just getting started. The future Democratic President will be subjected to the same level of reverence and respect that our current Republican was for the last eight years.

And hootchie mama has nothing to do with race, but with culture and bearing. Michelle Hussein Obama has shown to have no culture or bearing above hootchie mama level. Believe me, I know. I am married to a Black woman and am raising two interracial daughters who have carried themselves above hoochie mama standards their whole lives.

Phillygirl
11-06-2008, 06:23 PM
At least he spelt it right!

I always thought hoochie was spelled without a "t".

And I do agree with Speed that Hoochie Mamas know no racial bounds.

Growing up we called them "boothons" (sp?)

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
The dress must be a knock off, because the original on the model (while still odd) is much better cut and more attractive. Look at the neckline and the length of the red on the skirt. The only way a dress like that can be pulled off is by a stick thin model with broad shoulders to offset the skirt. Obamarosa doesn't have the body for it and it makes her look pregnant or at least dowdy and plump. Even Laura Bush dressed better before the White House dressers took her over.

I don't know what Obamarosa's dress cost her, but next time she should take Sarah Palin with her. Palin has exquisite taste in suits--they all looked fantastic. My guess is that for the same wads of cash Obamarosa put out for that hideous dress, Palin could have made her look stunning.

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I always thought hoochie was spelled without a "t".

And I do agree with Speed that Hoochie Mamas know no racial bounds.

Growing up we called them "boothons" (sp?)

The word (in Italian) is "putan" (puta, in Spanish). It means "whore". The "p" sounds like a "b" because the /p/ sound in Romance languages is unaspirated.

Phillygirl
11-06-2008, 06:32 PM
The word (in Italian) is "putan" (puta, in Spanish). It means "whore". The "p" sounds like a "b" because the /p/ sound in Romance languages is unaspirated.

Thanks!! I only know broken English/Italian...but you're right, I should have gotten the p right.

My mother used to call my friend and I "putie and tannie" when we were teenagers and getting dressed to go out for the night. For some reason, saying "whore" in Italian didn't sound so harsh! :p But it did make us lay off the electric blue mascara a bit.

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks!! I only know broken English/Italian...but you're right, I should have gotten the p right.

My mother used to call my friend and I "putie and tannie" when we were teenagers and getting dressed to go out for the night. For some reason, saying "whore" in Italian didn't sound so harsh! :p But it did make us lay off the electric blue mascara a bit.

Electric blue mascara? Did you grow up in South Philly?

Phillygirl
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Electric blue mascara? Did you grow up in South Philly?

Hey...it made it out to the burbs!! But I never wore the liquid black eyeliner.

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey...it made it out to the burbs!! But I never wore the liquid black eyeliner.

LOL!!!!!:D

Shannon
11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Obamarosa! I love it!:D

Gingersnap
11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
While I've heard pretty much nothing from Michelle Obama that interests me so far, in her defense, I have to say that she's in for 4 years of Fashion Hell.

No woman of her age can escape blistering verdicts from the various fashionistas at this point in time. If she dresses to garner respect and display some level of seriousness, she will be termed "matronly", "boring", or "aging". If she dresses to cater to the youth/urban audience, she will be termed "slutty", "clueless", or "desperate". There's no good middle ground now on the national stage.

We've become bewitched by celebutard images and the input of gay sensibility into straight women's fashion. Noonwitch talked about Coldwater Creek as an appropriate sort of store for a more serious, yet livable, fashion image. I happen to agree but that would be widely seen a non-young, non-edgy, non-urban, and non-splashy choice. She's just not going to win everybody over no matter how she dresses.

Shannon
11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I thought Laura Bush did a good job. Is that because she was older?

JB
11-06-2008, 08:33 PM
How many pair of Mom Jeans does she own?

Phillygirl
11-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Older, and classier. Laura dressed for herself, not for anybody else. Yes, her style got better as she went along, but she had a basic sense of style. She didn't try to look trendy, and that was what worked.

Michelle tries too hard to look like a trendsetter, while also looking like she puts no effort into it.

And she shouldn't wear above the knee skirts. Her legs are far too big for it.

lacarnut
11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
You know what Obama said, "you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig." Oink, Oink, Michelle. .

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Obamarosa! I love it!:D

That's our pet name for her over at the PUMA board. Glad you like it.:D

Gingersnap
11-06-2008, 09:39 PM

Absolutely. Laura Bush took a huge amount of flak for her clothing choices over the past 8 years but the bar wasn't set as high. She was older (i.e., "not trying anymore"), white ("suburban"), and Methodist ("fundy"). No one expected Laura Bush to pull off runway fashion.

They will have higher expectations (and harsher criticism) of a younger and presumably "hipper" woman of color. Just like all black people by their own stereotyping are considered superior dancers, all black women by their own stereotyping are considered excellent dressers (if they aren't fat).

Sexism is alive and well in First Lady Land.

Aaron Burr
11-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Well yeah Snapford, this election eliminated racism but further enshrined misogyny. Bitchelle is in for a rough road.

I'm a hairy assed, knuckle dragging thug and even I looked at that dress and thought "Black Widow." I'm glad it wasn't just me. Looking at her objectively, I'm pretty sure she smacks her hubby around when they're alone.

And she always gets to be on top.

I'm just sayin'.

Gingersnap
11-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Well yeah Snapford, this election eliminated racism but further enshrined misogyny. Bitchelle is in for a rough road.

I'm a hairy assed, knuckle dragging thug and even I looked at that dress and thought "Black Widow." I'm glad it wasn't just me. Looking at her objectively, I'm pretty sure she smacks her hubby around when they're alone.

And she always gets to be on top.

I'm just sayin'.

Well, that would kind of be on the "plus" side of the ledger for a lot of people today. I mean, have you read those personal ads on craigslist? :D

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm just sayin'.

If Obamarosa's husband and the Democratic party had been less misogynist, Hillary would have not taken the abuse she took in the party and in the media. (Neither would Palin.)

I say let Obamarosa suffer. She said NOTHING in defense of other women. Then again, I have been told by black women that there is no sisterhood between white and black women. Idealistic feminist Sisterhood is only a "white" thing. Black women are "Sistas" and don't see themselves as having anything in common with white women, even when it comes to rape or domestic violence. (That explains the OJ jury.)

Shannon
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
If Obamarosa's husband and the Democratic party had been less misogynist, Hillary would have not taken the abuse she took in the party and in the media. (Neither would Palin.)

I say let Obamarosa suffer. She said NOTHING in defense of other women. Then again, I have been told by black women that there is no sisterhood between white and black women. Idealistic feminist Sisterhood is only a "white" thing. Black women are "Sistas" and don't see themselves as having anything in common with white women, even when it comes to rape or domestic violence. (That explains the OJ jury.)

Right. We are getting waaaay off top topic though. I actually had to do a paper on this subject in college.:p

Phillygirl
11-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Right. We are getting waaaay off top topic though. I actually had to do a paper on this subject in college.:p

You were a women's studies major?

Elspeth
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM

I guess the lousiness of the dress is excuse enough to trash Mobama. :)

Aaron Burr
11-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Mobama? I like Moobama better. And yeah, thanks to the lefts dismissal of Hitlery and it's savage attacks on Palin, misogyny is back, bigger than ever. Hells Yeah!

So all you skirts better get back in the kitchen and start making babies...From scratch.

Celtic Rose
11-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Mobama? I like Moobama better. And yeah, thanks to the lefts dismissal of Hitlery and it's savage attacks on Palin, misogyny is back, bigger than ever. Hells Yeah!

So all you skirts better get back in the kitchen and start making babies...From scratch.

Umm, I'm afraid that will be a bit difficult without a few menfolk helping us out :p

Aaron Burr
11-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Wait a second, did I give you permission to speak? (Wow! This is fun and easy!)

I just meant no turkey basters.

Also, once the new regime takes power, most men will simply move their Laz-Y-Boys right in front of the refrigerator. So you'll find us in there anyway. It'll just make it easier for all of us.

PoliCon
11-07-2008, 01:33 AM
lets be honest - she's not a pretty woman to begin with - and that dress . . . . . who ever bought it for her should be SHOT. Please say it was Barry!! ;) J/K Mr seekrit service guy!

PoliKat
11-07-2008, 01:57 AM
What possibly could I say that might be good about that dress? Well...uh...hmmmm...I got it!

Absolutely nothing. Sorry. Nada. Zip.

PoliKat
11-07-2008, 02:04 AM

Well, it isn't [I]electric[I]blue, but I still wear blue mascara, every day, too. And even at my age I get compliments on it from many other women who say that I wear it very well. Probably 'cause my eyes are green. ha ha.

PoliKat
11-07-2008, 02:12 AM
Oh now, I resemble the remark on "better dancers" being other than caucasion. I was one of the best in my day...I believe they called it "disco queen" back then! Incidentally, I thought it was "Obamamoosa" or "Obamaroosa". Maybe it should be something more like...the Obaminable Obama's. Speaking of the dress: the Obaminable Outfitter. Geez, this is just getting stupider and stupider.:p

OwlMBA
11-07-2008, 03:49 AM
Just sayin'...

Oh that was simply fantastic.

noonwitch
11-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Absolutely. Laura Bush took a huge amount of flak for her clothing choices over the past 8 years but the bar wasn't set as high. She was older (i.e., "not trying anymore"), white ("suburban"), and Methodist ("fundy"). No one expected Laura Bush to pull off runway fashion.

They will have higher expectations (and harsher criticism) of a younger and presumably "hipper" woman of color. Just like all black people by their own stereotyping are considered superior dancers, all black women by their own stereotyping are considered excellent dressers (if they aren't fat).

Sexism is alive and well in First Lady Land.

In my lifetime, I can really only think of two First Ladies who dressed with a lot of style: Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan. Both of them had money, too.

Most of the women weren't really into style-Barbara Bush, for example, is the grandmotherly type and dresses in that way. It's not stylish and it's not tacky. Hillary always had the career woman look, which was functional, not necessarily stylish.

zBoots
11-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Just sayin'...

Thats kinda what i was thinking..

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1204/helldressyi1.gif