PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Dry Skin Lotion?

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I must have 2 or 3 old dry skin lotions from last year and I'm not completely satisfied with any of them. What is your best recommendation for this type of thing?

I live where it is high, dry, cold, and windy so summer-weight skin lotions are of no use at all. :)

bijou
11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Is this for the face or body, night or day?

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Is this for the face or body, night or day?

The three brain cells I have devoted to beauty matters just shorted out upon reading your reply. Assume that it has to work for everything under Arctic conditions.

No whale blubber products, please. Doc finds them exciting.

bijou
11-07-2008, 04:46 PM
The three brain cells I have devoted to beauty matters just shorted out upon reading your reply. Assume that it has to work for everything under Arctic conditions.

No whale blubber products, please. Doc finds them exciting.
If you are not going to help, then I shall have to recommend a general one. Palmer's Cocoa Butter range is good and not very expensive.
For dry or chapped hands Neutrogena's Norwegian formula is excellent.

PoliKat
11-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Well, the Norwegian Formula is very good, I have to agree. IT was the first thought I had, too, bijou. But here's another simple routine that will amaze you...wet your hands (and even feet) with warm water and pat dry. PAT. Not rub. Leave a bit of moisture on. Slather them totally with petroleum jelly real well, rubbing it in a little, and then wash and rinse with a nice softening soap and then pat dry again. It feels wonderful.

But that Norwegian formula is certainly a good one...indeed. Feels soft without mucky, oily stuff left behind.

PoliKat
11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Bijou, where did yo get that cricket/cockroach that crawls around on your avatar? That's hilarious!

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 05:00 PM
If you are not going to help, then I shall have to recommend a general one. Palmer's Cocoa Butter range is good and not very expensive.
For dry or chapped hands Neutrogena's Norwegian formula is excellent.

I am being helpful. I told you about the whale/Doc issue.

I've used Palmer's in the past and I do like it but I forgot about it. I can't have too many different bottles or tubes around because they haunt me and make me feel confused and angry. :)

bijou
11-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Bijou, where did yo get that cricket/cockroach that crawls around on your avatar? That's hilarious!

I found it on a British site I lurk at though I've seen it at a couple of places since then.

Odysseus
11-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I am being helpful. I told you about the whale/Doc issue.

I've used Palmer's in the past and I do like it but I forgot about it. I can't have too many different bottles or tubes around because they haunt me and make me feel confused and angry. :)

The Countess Bathory line of skin care products is made will 100% real blood of virgins. :D

jinxmchue
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Avoid everything that contains perfumes.

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
The Countess Bathory line of skin care products is made will 100% real blood of virgins. :D

What? All five of them? :p

megimoo
11-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Lanolin, Wool and Hand Cream
by Mike Bullivant

What is lanolin?
The properties of wool
How to make your own lanolin hand cream
What's the difference between a fat, an oil and a wax?
Did you know?
Further reading and websites

Challenge
To make a soothing hand cream from whatever local resources we liked. All that gold panning at the river took a toll on our skin!

How to make your own lanolin hand cream
Here's a recipe for lanolin hand cream you may want to try at home.

3 Tbsp. lanolin
3 Tbsp. distilled water
3 Tbsp. grated beeswax
1/2 cup almond oil
3 Tbsp. witch hazel
1/8 tsp. borax powder

Mix the beeswax, lanolin and almond oil in an oven-safe dish and set the dish in a pan containing about an inch and a half of water. Place them in the oven and heat until the beeswax and lanolin have melted.

Mix the witch hazel, borax powder and distilled water in a saucepan. Heat the solution until just boiling and then slowly pour it into the melted beeswax/lanolin/almond oil mixture. Stir thoroughly and leave to cool.

When the mixture is completely cooled, you'll have a thick white cream to soften your skin.

How about making a scented hand cream? You could add almost any essential (aromatherapy) oil to it (but be careful to check your sensitivity to each oil beforehand, and follow any warnings on the labels). 5 to 10 drops of essential oil should be adequate for 3 ounces of cream. You could also add very finely chopped flower petals or herbs to the cream, to give it a different texture and aroma.

We scented our lanolin hand cream with tee tree oil (sometimes referred to as 'tea tree oil'), not only because of its delicate nutmeg smell, but because it has a wide range of medicinal properties.

Tee tree oil is produced and contained in small sacs on the leaves of the tee tree plant. The sacs will rupture when heated and release their oil, which is how we obtained ours. It's been estimated that 2 tons of leaves will provide about 5 gallons of tee tree oil.snip
http://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/series3/shakers/handcream.html#lanolin3

What is lanolin?
Lanolin Lanolin is the smelly pale-yellow natural oil found on sheep's wool. As a waste product in wool processing, it's also known as wool oil, wool wax, wool fat, or wool grease. It's a natural water repellant the function of which, as it's not too hard to guess, is to waterproof the sheep. Lanolin also has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that protect the sheep's skin from infection. Derived from the animal's oil glands, lanolin is a mixture of wool fat and 25-30% water. Wool fat is a mixture of many different chemical compounds, including cholesterol and the esters derived from 'fatty' acids containing 18 to 26 carbon atoms.

Lanolin is used widely in the pharmaceutical and cosmetics industries. The oils in lanolin are similar in chemical composition to the oils secreted by human skin. What's more, it forms an emulsion with water that's easily absorbed by the skin, softening it and preventing it drying and cracking (this would explain why sheep shearers have such soft hands).

Strictly speaking, lanolin is a wax, not a fat or oil, and melts at a temperature between 100-107F (38-42&def;C).

To extract the lanolin from unwashed wool you boil the wool in water for a few hours, adding salt to improve the yield of lanolin. Next, you reduce the solution by boiling off most of the water. After you filter any undissolved solid material from the hot solution and let it cool, you should be left with a pale-yellow waxy solid floating on the surface of the water. This is impure lanolin. You can purify it, as we did on the show, by taking the crude lanolin and shaking it with a mixture of olive oil and water. The impurities will dissolve into the water and the oil, leaving you with a solid layer of off-white, waxy 'purified' lanolin suspended between the oil and water.

The properties of wool
Wool has a very complex chemical and physical structure, which accounts for its uniqueness and versatility as a textile fiber. The fibers are made up of more than 20 amino acids, which combine to form long chains (polymers) of protein.

It's the internal structure of each woolen fiber a three-dimensional corkscrew pattern, or helical 'crimp' that gives wool its elasticity. The coiled springs of these molecular chains, with their permanent built-in 'memory,' makes the woolen fibers themselves coil-shaped and accounts for their enduring resilience.

Wool is superior to all other fibers in its ability to handle body moisture in both warm and cool environments. The porosity of the cells in the outer layers of wool fiber allows them to quickly and efficiently absorb and evaporate moisture. In fact, the fibers can absorb up to 30% of their own weight in moisture ten times as much as any synthetic fiber without feeling damp or clammy. The porous structure also explains why wool is such a good thermal insulator, not to mention the mesh of the fibers, which creates millions of air pockets that further help to regulate temperature and humidity.

Wool is a naturally strong fiber. It can bend back on itself 20,000 times without breaking. Compare this to cotton at 3,200 times, silk at 1,800, and rayon at only 75 times.

Due to its unique chemical structure and natural moisture content, wool is naturally fire-resistant. And despite its natural moisture content, wool's dry, porous nature repels mildew and dust mites.

megimoo
11-07-2008, 05:21 PM
What? All five of them? :pStill in the womb !

jendf
11-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I prefer Neutrogena.

Bubba Dawg
11-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Udder Balm is good for the feet and hands.

Phillygirl
11-07-2008, 07:27 PM
This thread is almost as bad as my bad waitress whiny thread. :rolleyes:

Jumpy
11-07-2008, 07:29 PM
If you find one that you are in love with, let me know. For me, it would be an all over body lotion..night and day, hands, face, everything. Something gentle enough to work everywhere/anytime. For now I am just using virgin coconut oil.

Maybe I should buy something different for my hands and knees since they are so calloused.

Have you tried Burts Bees? I haven't.. but have thought about it.

Jumpy
11-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Link? Sounds funny.

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
If you find one that you are in love with, let me know. For me, it would be an all over body lotion..night and day, hands, face, everything. Something gentle enough to work everywhere/anytime. For now I am just using virgin coconut oil.

Maybe I should buy something different for my hands and knees since they are so calloused.

Well, Bijou won't help you then. She requires a level of detail and cosmetic competence that neither of us seem prepared to manage. :D

jendf

Well, then, get crackin' on a Friday Night Happy Hour thread. We need to toast der Fuhrer!

Phillygirl
Link? Sounds funny.

I think it got lost in the crash. Not to worry...I go to that restaurant about once a month and she has the ability to annoy me each time. But she now knows to ask if I want another drink, not just my companion. ;)

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I think it got lost in the crash. Not to worry...I go to that restaurant about once a month and she has the ability to annoy me each time. But she now knows to ask if I want another drink, not just my companion. ;)

You're entire thread was based on the humor value of making empty-headed waitrons cry. Anybody can do that. I'm trying to solicit actual information here. :D

Phillygirl
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
You're entire thread was based on the humor value of making empty-headed waitrons cry. Anybody can do that. I'm trying to solicit actual information here. :D

You're soliciting information on body lotion. Unless you need that information so as to ensure elasticity while growing extra skin for a missing body part that you're making from scratch with your nifty knitting skills, I'm sorely disappointed in you. Your lounge threads usually provide some sort of mayhem.

Try harder next time.

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Try harder next time.

*sniff, sniff - scents challenge in the air*

:D

megimoo
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
*sniff, sniff - scents challenge in the air*

:DIs that our little mouse Philly?She must have been into the cooking sherry !

Bubba Dawg
11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I am totally new to the subject of body lotion. What a marvelous idea.

I wish I knew more about it. It would be soooo helpful if you attractive females could describe, in detail, exactly how you rub it on your bodies. Please be descriptive. I'm a bit dense about these things.

Pictures, if you have them.......

I like to learn. :)

Gingersnap
11-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I am totally new to the subject of body lotion. What a marvelous idea.

I wish I knew more about it. It would be soooo helpful if you attractive females could describe, in detail, exactly how you rub it on your bodies. Please be descriptive. I'm a bit dense about these things.

Pictures, if you have them.......

I like to learn. :)

The very fact that you personally use "Bag Balm" to reduce the fiery chafing of your Spanx means that we have nothing left to teach you or nothing left that won't result in a hefty prison sentence, anyway. :p

Bubba Dawg
11-07-2008, 08:25 PM
The very fact that you personally use "Bag Balm" to reduce the fiery chafing of your Spanx means that we have nothing left to teach you or nothing left that won't result in a hefty prison sentence, anyway. :p

Hey. I don't want to have the reputation of being some kind of creepy perverted freak......um.....wait a minute.....that is my reputation...

never mind.

But I really am enjoying this thread. :D

mmmmmmmmm....Lotion.

Shannon
11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
I use Body by Victoria. I call it my "silky smooth" lotion. It's amazing.

linda22003
11-07-2008, 08:53 PM
The body lotions I use are Chanel #22 and Chanel #5. The hand cream I use is from Restoration Hardware, make what you will of THAT.

Shannon
11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I have some Chanel #5 lotion that I use occasionally. It has such a strong scent though.

Phillygirl
11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I love Chanel #5. Hmmm...my birthday is coming up. Great idea!

megimoo
11-07-2008, 09:07 PM
The body lotions I use are Chanel #22 and Chanel #5. The hand cream I use is from Restoration Hardware, make what you will of THAT.http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/9-11-2002-26179.asp :rolleyes:

Shannon
11-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I love Chanel #5. Hmmm...my birthday is coming up. Great idea!

You're going to have to say "mid forties" pretty soon.:D

Phillygirl
11-07-2008, 09:09 PM
You're going to have to say "mid forties" pretty soon.:D

Why? I still don't acknowledge hitting my late thirties.

Jumpy
11-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I have some Chanel #5 lotion that I use occasionally. It has such a strong scent though.

I will not pay alot for my lotion, unless it really works amazing. For dry skin, I think "less is best", and prefer something without the perfumes in them.

Sooooo.... ginger, what body lotion have you decided on? Be sure to give us all a review on it.

Keep in mind folks, the best hydrator for your skin is to drink lots of water.. moisturize it from the inside out.

Bubba Dawg
11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Just a slight criticism here....there needs to be more discussion of the rubbing.

Details. There needs to be details.

Feel free to ...carry on....

Jumpy
11-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Just a slight criticism here....there needs to be more discussion of the rubbing.

Details. There needs to be details.

Feel free to ...carry on....You crack me up. :D

linda22003
11-08-2008, 08:40 AM

That's sort of the point. I actually prefer Chanel #22, which has a more vanilla scent to it. For Christmas I'm asking for #18.

RobJohnson
11-08-2008, 12:15 PM
Udder Balm is good for the feet and hands.

It can be a little greasy and dogs like to lick it off your legs. :D

For really dry areas, try a product with Urea. But use caution, it can soften finger/toe nails so try to avoid those area or wear gloves when applying.

The problem with alot of OTC lotions is that some of them contain chemicals that actually dry skin...(ie: mineral oil and others)

Eucerin works well also.

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
It can be a little greasy and dogs like to lick it off your legs. :D

For really dry areas, try a product with Urea. But use caution, it can soften finger/toe nails so try to avoid those area or wear gloves when applying.

The problem with alot of OTC lotions is that some of them contain chemicals that actually dry skin...(ie: mineral oil and others)

Eucerin works well also.

Well hello there Rob Johnson. To what do we owe this honor?

BEG
11-08-2008, 04:53 PM
I've been using Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Lotion. I liked it because it has menthol and natural colloidal Oatmeal in it. I couldn't find it that last time I went to buy it so I bought Aveeno Intense Relief Overnight Cream. I use it in the morning and at night and I really like it.

ralph wiggum
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Dry Skin Lotion...what is this mysterious product you are speaking of? :confused: :confused:

:D

RobJohnson
11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Well hello there Rob Johnson. To what do we owe this honor?

Hello. :)

M21
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
I must have 2 or 3 old dry skin lotions from last year and I'm not completely satisfied with any of them. What is your best recommendation for this type of thing?

I live where it is high, dry, cold, and windy so summer-weight skin lotions are of no use at all. :)

Try HEMP they sell it at Sally's Beauty. You can't miss it cuz it has a five bladed cannabis leaf on the front. :D They have a small sample bottle out for you to try. It's the best I've found for our weather.

Lanie
11-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Eucerin was suggested by my doc years ago for dry skin. Of course, the pharmacist said they're all the same. I'd agree that the scented stuff doesn't do much for moisterizing.

I just remembered something I got from K-Mart once. It was a Vitamin E lotion, and I think it was generic (sorry not to remember better). It seemed to work well.

Bongo55
11-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Have you ever considered using Dead Sea Salts really does help with many maladies? stuff is awesome.

Try a google search and do some reading.

ginad3248
11-10-2008, 12:00 AM

I consider myself to be a expert on any type of beauty product... Here are some of my reccomendations...
-Vaseline brand -coco butter deep conditioning body butter
-Dove brand-Cream Oil intensive body lotion
if you like scented lotion my fav is Bath&Body Works,Japanese Cherry Blossom
and if you want a lotion that will give your skin a nice summer glow even in the winter try Olay Touch of sun

Speedy
11-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I would be willing to bet that your problem is more the quality of your water, not the skin products that you are using.

Gingersnap
11-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay! I have now assembled the trifecta of skin stuff: I 'm using Dove Cream Oil for overall moisty-ness. Palmer's coco butter for intensive happiness, and Gold Bond for compulsive hand washing safety.

Pro tip: don't use Gold Bond Triple Action lotion on your actual body after a bath. This could have major applications in the summer but not so much now. Just sayin'