PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Musings

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Cool and clear on the mountain. We had a little rain last night but the sky is amazingly blue on this lovely Saturday. 41 degrees overnight.

I was going to do a whiney thread and moan about the election but I thought better of it. So many insightful and informative things have been posted in other threads already and I feel it has been well covered.

That said, we are moving toward the Holidays of Thanksgiving and Advent and Christmas and New Years.

This is a busy time of year, but I think, a fun one. Some will enter the holiday season missing a loved one for the first time for that holiday. Yet such is life.

This time of year brings back memories of childhood for me. It also brings to mind cherished traditions of the season. Thanksgiving Turkey and dressing. Advent wreaths and candles. Christmas trees.

TOTD: Are you getting ready for the Holidays yet? They're just around the corner. (I know, you're welcome for the reminder.) Are you starting to get in the holiday mood? What things do you do to celebrate. What do you reflect on this time of year?

Happy Holidays CU.

DarkScribe
11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Off this weekend as we prepare for the pure insanity of a dozen or so crazed twelve year-olds descending upon our humble abode to celebrate the birthday of Tristan. Yay, me. I should start drinking now...but it is only 9:30...

TOTD: Shannon plans for Christmas in July. She lives for it. I live for Halloween...and "pigging out" on Turkey Day. I like Christmas, don't get me wrong, but working in retail, well, we love this time of year (ahem) but I hate the way people behave when they get stressed.

I DO love the smell of a freshly cut Christmas tree. Best smell in the world. Next to puppy breath, of course! :D

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 09:28 AM
bah humbug :cool:

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 09:37 AM
bah humbug :cool:

Hi Lurkie. You know that cute little critter needs Santa to bring her some Jedi stuff. Better get ready. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Christmas trees. I love 'em too. I like a mix of decorations, some traditional and some modern. I have a little Starship Enterprise tree ornament that has little lights on it.

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Lurkie. You know that cute little critter needs Santa to bring her some Jedi stuff. Better get ready. :D

broke the santa news to her this summer, am now working on "santa has had some rough times what with this economy and all" talk....
:D

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 09:43 AM
broke the santa news to her this summer, am now working on "santa has had some rough times what with this economy and all" talk....
:D

Santa always makes it through.

Tonight in the Jukebox I'm going to play the old song about Santa and Sputnick just for you.

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Santa always makes it through.

Tonight in the Jukebox I'm going to play the old song about Santa and Sputnick just for you.

it ain't gonna work..i'm a grinch thru and thru! you can't break me spandex man, the powers of ass rash woman will triumph every time!

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 09:53 AM
it ain't gonna work..i'm a grinch thru and thru! you can't break me spandex man, the powers of ass rash woman will triumph every time!

Ha! And again I say, Ha! Santa and Bubba will prevail. I actually look like Santa a bit as I get older. It's getting hard to find spandex that will stretch that much.

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Ha! And again I say, Ha! Santa and Bubba will prevail. I actually look like Santa a bit as I get older. It's getting hard to find spandex that will stretch that much.

its not quite 7 am here and you've given me a visual image that I am not sure I can live with! :eek:

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
its not quite 7 am here and you've given me a visual image that I am not sure I can live with! :eek:

Bald on top, like santa, and with shoulder length hair all the way around. That's right, Santa and I both have bitchin' skullets,

I'm a little girth deficient but i'm working on it. My hair and beard are too dark though. Best I can do is salt and pepper.

And red and black spandex bike pants under my red coat with white fur trim.

I'm the bees knees.

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Bald on top, like santa, and with shoulder length hair all the way around. That's right, Santa and I both have bitchin' skullets,

I'm a little girth deficient but i'm working on it. My hair and beard are too dark though. Best I can do is salt and pepper.

I'm the bees knees.

:eek::eek:
ok, am cancelling breakfast...probably lunch as well......
the coffee isn't even settling well right now...
am picturing cut off bib overalls, one strap hanging off the shoulder...ewwwww I can't even go any further..
this is just wrong! how will i ever be able to look a salvation army bell ringing santa in the eyes again? :eek:

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 10:18 AM
:eek::eek:
ok, am cancelling breakfast...probably lunch as well......
the coffee isn't even settling well right now...
am picturing cut off bib overalls, one strap hanging off the shoulder...ewwwww I can't even go any further..
this is just wrong! how will i ever be able to look a salvation army bell ringing santa in the eyes again? :eek:

That's right Lurkie:

Every Santa you meet,
Every Jolly Old Elf you greet,
Might be Bubba Claus.

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 10:21 AM
That's right Lurkie:

Every Santa you meet,
Every Jolly Old Elf you greet,
Might be Bubba Claus.

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

I have had a visit from the ghost of Christmas future :eek: I'm gonna go wake up the man in my bed and kick him out of the house before he turns into Bubba Claus! :mad:

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I have had a visit from the ghost of Christmas future :eek: I'm gonna go wake up the man in my bed and kick him out of the house before he turns into Bubba Claus! :mad:

Feed him breakfast first. I just know he likes pancakes.

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Feed him breakfast first. I just know he likes pancakes.

oh no you don't :mad: I'm on to you and your plan to take over the world with bubba claus clones to terrify and annoy innocent people like me! I was born at night, but it wasn't last night! I didn't just fall off the turnip truck ya know...I ain't the only fool my mama raised...
wait..that last one don't sound right..:confused:

DarkScribe
11-08-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm the bees knees.

Too much info, bro, too much info! :cool:

jendf
11-08-2008, 10:40 AM
TOTD: Are you getting ready for the Holidays yet? They're just around the corner. (I know, you're welcome for the reminder.) Are you starting to get in the holiday mood? What things do you do to celebrate. What do you reflect on this time of year?

Happy Holidays CU.

I am definitely getting in the holiday mood. Plans are coming together for Thanksgiving. I'll be bringing a mac 'n' cheese casserole, rolls, and some wine to my sister's place.

Christmas will be exciting and stress-free this year. As a family, we made the decision to not buy each other anything and instead pool our money for a small day trip to northern Arizona. We'll look at Christmas lights, enjoy a train ride, and most importantly, each others' company. I'm so looking forward to it!

linda22003
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm getting more in a "seasonal" mood so far; autumn is spectacular right here in my own yard. Luminous yellow leaves on the cherry tree, and bright, bright red on the Japanese maples in back. The leaves are really coming down today, and will probably be mostly on the ground by the end of the weekend.

Gingersnap
11-08-2008, 02:02 PM
We're getting ready for a little snow tomorrow. I'm baking the usual bread this morning but I'm also going to try out americangirl's microwave rising method later.

TOTD: I tend to think more about the religious aspect of Advent and Christmas and I do like that part. The secular party part is also fun and we do a lot of entertaining during that time. No decorating takes place at the Snaps household prior to December. We have the fall stuff out now but no reindeer, elves, or whatever will appear until well after Thanksgiving. We put the lights up sooner because of the weather but we don't turn them on.

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 03:37 PM
oh no you don't :mad: I'm on to you and your plan to take over the world with bubba claus clones to terrify and annoy innocent people like me! I was born at night, but it wasn't last night! I didn't just fall off the turnip truck ya know...I ain't the only fool my mama raised...
wait..that last one don't sound right..:confused:

Bubba Claus only does good things. I ride my shiney red bicycle through world spreading good cheer....um......as long as the hills aren't too steep.

Shannon
I don't even recall what the TOTD was after getting through this thread.:p

Bubba Dawg
Too much info, bro, too much info! :cool:

Sorry Scribe. Didn't want to appear to be bragging. :o

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I don't even recall what the TOTD was after getting through this thread.:p

Christmas Cheer. Ho Ho Ho and mistletoe. The Grinch. Charlie Brown. Thanksgiving Turkey and Dressing.

Traditions and feelings of Christmas.

I hear you're big on Christmas.

Shannon
11-08-2008, 03:44 PM
I hear you're big on Christmas.

Excuse me?:mad:

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Excuse me?:mad:

Noooooo...:eek:

I mean no. I don't mean big as in size but big like really into it. :o

linda22003
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
TOTD: I tend to think more about the religious aspect of Advent and Christmas and I do like that part.

Me too. I do the Advent candles every year, and two years ago in Copenhagen I found the most gorgeous Advent wreath-style candleholder at Georg Jensen, which I'll use for the rest of my life.

http://www.johnlewis.com/jl_assets/product/230406112.jpg

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Me too. I do the Advent candles every year, and two years ago in Copenhagen I found the most gorgeous Advent wreath-style candleholder at Georg Jensen, which I'll use for the rest of my life.

Wow. That's cool. Nice.

Gingersnap
11-08-2008, 06:10 PM

That's lovely! I've been looking to replace mine with something less.....foliage-oriented. :D

linda22003
11-08-2008, 06:12 PM
The picture doesn't show it, but it's a gold wash, so it looks like highly polished brass. I fell in love with it at the main store in Copenhagen, but it was our first stop on our Baltic trip and I didn't want to haul it around with me. The shipping quote was as much as the piece itself, so I reluctantly left it behind.

We ended our trip in Stockholm and took a short flight to Copenhagen for the trip home to Washington. Georg Jensen had a small store in the airport! They packed one up for me and I carried it happily right onto the plane.

Ree
11-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Bah Humbug...
I HATE SNOW

Shannon
11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Bah Humbug...
I HATE SNOW

That whole MN thing probably isn't working out too well then, eh?:p

Ree
11-08-2008, 06:32 PM
That whole MN thing probably isn't working out too well then, eh?:p
NO...and with Cowboy havin the broke ankle I have to shovel now...ICK!!!

Shannon
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
NO...and with Cowboy havin the broke ankle I have to shovel now...ICK!!!

I feel your pain. I had to pick up like 20 leaves in my yard yesterday. I was NOT happy.

Ree
11-08-2008, 06:40 PM
I feel your pain. I had to pick up like 20 leaves in my yard yesterday. I was NOT happy.
Why would ya ever pick up leaves? Haven't ya figgered how to get em to blow into the neighbors yard yet?

Shannon
11-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Why would ya ever pick up leaves? Haven't ya figgered how to get em to blow into the neighbors yard yet?

I didn't really pick up any leaves. I was being a smartass.:p

Ree
11-08-2008, 06:51 PM
I didn't really pick up any leaves. I was being a smartass.:p
I need a big assed blow dryer to get rid of the snow...melt it then dry the sidewalk...

lurkalot
11-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Bubba Claus only does good things. I ride my shiney red bicycle through world spreading good cheer....um......as long as the hills aren't too steep.

great, now i have to be on the look out for a fat man in spandex riding a bicycle loaded with toys :mad: Like I'm not busy enough trying to run over coyotes on my way to work... :cool:

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 07:45 PM
great, now i have to be on the look out for a fat man in spandex riding a bicycle loaded with toys :mad: Like I'm not busy enough trying to run over coyotes on my way to work... :cool:

That's right. I'm everywhere. Like Elvis. :cool: