PDA

View Full Version : Garden mirrors: great design feature or upmarket gnome?

bijou
11-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I am in the middle of re-landscaping my garden. (I have had the deck removed and a small tree cut down so far.) I keep changing the plan so it is a slow process. One thing I thought about was an outdoor mirror. eg

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_thumb.php?img=images/DF0074L.jpg&w=200&h=150

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/garden-mirrors-c-83.html

or maybe a smaller one to give the illusion of a window.

So, has anyone tried/bought an outdoor mirror. Any recommendations for sizes/effects?

Gingersnap
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I haven't seen these out where I live but the concept isn't totally off the rails. I think it would work best in intimate areas, particularly if they were dark and narrow.

We have so much intense sunlight and so much charismatic mega fauna that mirrors would be more of a pain than a pleasure in my yard. I already have enough birds smacking themselves senseless against the windows.

I would definitely try this in a smaller setting, though. I think it would be particularly effective if the mirror was partially covered or framed by foliage.

bijou
11-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I haven't seen these out where I live but the concept isn't totally off the rails. I think it would work best in intimate areas, particularly if they were dark and narrow.

We have so much intense sunlight and so much charismatic mega fauna that mirrors would be more of a pain than a pleasure in my yard. I already have enough birds smacking themselves senseless against the windows.

I would definitely try this in a smaller setting, though. I think it would be particularly effective if the mirror was partially covered or framed by foliage.

The plan was to have it on the wall across which I am going to grow a climbing rose, to disguise the edges. I hadn't thought about the bird issue though, I'll have to be carefull where I put the feeder.

megimoo
11-08-2008, 02:08 PM

I would definitely try this in a smaller setting, though. I think it would be particularly effective if the mirror was partially covered or framed by foliage.They work well integrated into a small moss banked garden pool for the illusion of greater size or to enhance a curved flowering bank to add some depth !

Gingersnap
11-08-2008, 02:10 PM
The plan was to have it on the wall across which I am going to grow a climbing rose, to disguise the edges. I hadn't thought about the bird issue though, I'll have to be carefull where I put the feeder.

I think a rose vine would work very well. If you also had a pedestal or something, you could light a set of graduated pillar candles in front of it during the evening in the summer. :)

bijou
11-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I think a rose vine would work very well. If you also had a pedestal or something, you could light a set of graduated pillar candles in front of it during the evening in the summer. :)
Good suggestion thanks. :)

bijou
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
They work well integrated into a small moss banked garden pool for the illusion of greater size or to enhance a curved flowering bank to add some depth !

Sadly my garden isn't of the size to run to features like that. This would be attached to a wall for a false sense of depth and perspective.

BSR
11-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd smash that fucking thing up with a hammer the first time I forgot it was a mirror and tried to walk through it. :mad: