PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Cabin Cuisine

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Help please. I have to make a meal to send up to a hunting cabin. I'm going to make crab chowder. But I'm thinking they're going to want something else to go with it. Thoughts? No salads, nothing seemingly healthy, and nothing that requires more preparation other than heat and it.

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 05:12 PM
You're going to feed people at a hunting cabin soup? :eek::D

I would like a hearty dark bread with it. That with a basic tossed salad.

What's in the soup, I mean besides crab.

patriot45
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Help please. I have to make a meal to send up to a hunting cabin. I'm going to make crab chowder. But I'm thinking they're going to want something else to go with it. Thoughts? No salads, nothing seemingly healthy, and nothing that requires more preparation other than heat and it.

Its probably cold, send them a pot of chile!

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
You're going to feed people at a hunting cabin soup? :eek::D

I would like a hearty dark bread with it. That with a basic tossed salad.

What's in the soup, I mean besides crab.

It's a basic crab chowder...crab, potatoes, corn, some veggies with brandy as a deglazer and heavy cream at the end.

I offered chili or beef stew, but as men apparently don't coordinate menus for the week, I was told someone else would probably bring that and the crab chowder was suggested.

If I send salad it will most likely get thrown in the trash. This is the kind of group that brings bags of candy and tastykakes, throws them all on the table when they arrive, and they basically glom on it the whole time.

Marshmallows are a big hit, as apparently the bears like them. :rolleyes:

patriot45
11-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Or if you make a meatloaf, you can send meatloaf sandwiches. Filling!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/aItalian046.jpg

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Its probably cold, send them a pot of chile!

Again, possibility of double batches there. (Why won't men just ask each other what they're bringing???)

Plus, he really likes the crab chowder and asked for it. Otherwise I'd do lasagna or just make some scalloped potatoes and send him up with some steaks.

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Or if you make a meatloaf, you can send meatloaf sandwiches. Filling!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/aItalian046.jpg

Meatloaf sandwiches would be good (not for me, I don't like the stuff)...but I need something to go with the crab chowder, not instead of it!! :D

Zeus
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Might be a silly suggestion but why not eat what they hunt & kill ? Are they hunting for a Grocery store or fish mkt or what :p

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Again, possibility of double batches there. (Why won't men just ask each other what they're bringing???)

Plus, he really likes the crab chowder and asked for it. Otherwise I'd do lasagna or just make some scalloped potatoes and send him up with some steaks.

It's got taters in it so it will be good. It actually sounds great.

I stick with the recommendation of the bread but a hearty side dish would go really well with that soup. What do you like to make?

Man, grilled cheese sandwiches on regular bread would be great with that.

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Might be a silly suggestion but why not eat what they hunt & kill ? Are they hunting for a Grocery store or fish mkt or what :p

Because most of them suck at the hunting and killing part! It's mostly let's play hooky from work and home, get drunk, and talk about the good old days. You know, middle aged guy stuff! :D

MrsSmith
11-08-2008, 05:25 PM
I would think soup and sandwich would go best. I don't know what I'd put on the sandwiches, though. Maybe just a couple kinds of bread and some cold cuts to go with the soup?

Honestly, if I were feeding chowder to my family, I'd make cheese biscuits with it. :o

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
It's got taters in it so it will be good. It actually sounds great.

I stick with the recommendation of the bread but a hearty side dish would go really well with that soup. What do you like to make?

Man, grilled cheese sandwiches on regular bread would be great with that.

It is a really good soup. Too bad corn isn't in season, fresh corn from the cob adds such a sweetness to it.

I agree with a hearty bread. Usually I just use french or Italian, but sourdough is also good.

It's the side dish I can't seem to think of.

Maybe I'll just send a good dessert with it, like bread pudding. It has to be something that takes no preparation once its up there.

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I would think soup and sandwich would go best. I don't know what I'd put on the sandwiches, though. Maybe just a couple kinds of bread and some cold cuts to go with the soup?

Honestly, if I were feeding chowder to my family, I'd make cheese biscuits with it. :o

The only biscuits I've ever made have come out of the pillsbury tubes. :o

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Funny. Maybe they're just killin' time. :D

Shannon
11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Philly, do them all a favor and don't cook them anything.

Phillygirl
11-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Philly, do them all a favor and don't cook them anything.

Well, I'd make the reservations for the nearest Ruth's Chris for them...but it's about 100 miles away. :D

linda22003
11-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Because they don't know what it will be until they actually get to the Tiger Mart at the Exxon.

Gingersnap
11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Just add a couple of loaves of good bread and a wedge of really, really sharp cheddar. They'll be fine. ;)

americaninfidel
11-08-2008, 06:20 PM

LOL hilarious thanks for the laugh.

Bubba Dawg
11-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Just add a couple of loaves of good bread and a wedge of really, really sharp cheddar. They'll be fine. ;)

Oh yeah. The cheddar would go great with that.

Aaron Burr
11-09-2008, 01:50 AM
And a big dried salami. Crab chowder, salami slices with bread and cheese. I also like apples when I'm killin' sh!t. But maybe that's just me.