PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette College Prof Goes on Hunger Strike After Being Denied Tenure

Elspeth
09-03-2016, 02:37 PM
Hispanic professor of Spanish literature, a bit of a moonbat. Still, the case is interesting because his department recommended him for tenure. Usually, college presidents go along with the tenure recommendations of the department unless there is a real issue somewhere. The excuse the college president gave for denying tenure was Rojo's teaching. Teaching is usually not the big priority: if the prof has the right number and kind of publications, the teaching is secondary. It makes me wonder what is really behind this.

Lafayette College Prof Goes on Hunger Strike After Being Denied Tenure
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/professor-college-pa-denied-tenure-hunger-strike-article-1.2774069

A professor at a small liberal arts college in Pennsylvania who was denied tenure has embarked on a hunger strike.

Juan Rojo announced his plan during a faculty meeting at Lafayette College on Tuesday and says he expects to continue teaching through the rest of the semester.

He plans to consume only water and sports drinks until the issue is resolved...

... Rojo, who has taught Spanish and literature since he began at the Easton school in 2008, said in a lengthy Facebook post earlier this week he has "thought long and hard about this course of action."

A school committee actually recommended Rojo for tenure in December, but college President Alison Byerly denied it, saying he didn't exhibit "distinctive" teaching abilities....

...The college says it respects Rojo's right to disagree, but hopes he will express his views in a way that doesn't endanger his health.

Elspeth
09-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Some of the professor's ratings are here:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=1229944

If you value your sanity, I am warning you now, don't take a class with this professor. I did well, but the class itself was miserable. He is very unclear when he asks questions, and expects his students to be on top of the work when he himself is extremely disorganized. He sometimes won't even post the homework until the night before it is due.

This professor should not be teaching here at all. He has no business being a teacher and he is very unorganized. He is an easy grader but his assignments are stupid. Never take this guy

He seems like a nice person, but he isn't the best teacher. Not horrible, but could use a lot of improvement. A hard grader, expects A LOT out of you. The class itself is a bit dull. I will probably never take a class with this professor again.

These three "Awful" ratings came from Junior level Spanish classes (314/318).

There were some good ratings from 2012 and before:

I really enjoyed his class. He is a very funny professor and willing to help individually. He is a great professor to get to know outside of class in order to use as a resource. His tests were very easy! Best Spanish Professor I have had, definitely take his class (especially intermediate).

Really nice/funny guy. Tests aren't bad. Weekly one page reflections. Final project but no final. Large part of grade depends on class participation.

Relatively easy for Intermediate. Makes class interesting, even at 8am. Also, if you get an A by the end of the year, you do not have to take the final!

Two of these are from freshman level (111/112) Spanish classes.

His teaching seems to have gotten worse since 2012.

Elspeth
09-03-2016, 02:50 PM
According to Inside Higher Ed, the president of the college was using his student evaluations:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/09/01/lafayette-professor-goes-hunger-strike-protest-presidents-veto-his-tenure-bid

...Rojo’s main contention is that his bid was approved by two separate faculty bodies — one unanimously — before it was a rejected by Lafayette’s president, Alison Byerly, over concerns about his teaching. Much of the evidence she cited against him was taken from student evaluations of teaching, which can be highly subjective....

...As its tenure standards indicate, Lafayette is an unabashedly teaching-focused institution: teaching that is good simply isn't good enough...

Dlr Pyro
09-03-2016, 03:31 PM
seems like his primary goal in life is to get tenured, not to be a great teacher. JMO

Elspeth
09-03-2016, 03:53 PM
seems like his primary goal in life is to get tenured, not to be a great teacher. JMO

That's about right. He's got some real problems in the classroom, and, if Rate My Professors is any indication, he might need some kind of therapy for rapid drastic mood swings. (A little bi-polar maybe?)

Here is his big publication: https://www.amazon.com/Revisiting-Mexican-Student-Movement-1968/dp/113755987X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472929943&sr=8-1&keywords=Juan+Rojo+mexico

You can see why he would resort to an SJW-style hunger strike.

SVPete
09-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Hmmm, the online positive reviews tend toward the, "He's an easy 'A'," side, while the negative reviews tend toward the, "I didn't learn anything," side. If his book is a romanticization of the movement that birthed the Deganawidah Quetzalcoatl University fraud, Lafayette University would be well rid of him! However Rojo characterized that movement, his book seems well outside of his fields of instruction - i.e. not exactly the kind of publication universities want to see in decisions regarding tenure.

ETA: I see his book had to do with events in Mexico, rather than with DQU in CA. But still a bit wide of his fields of instruction.

Elspeth
09-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Hmmm, the online positive reviews tend toward the, "He's an easy 'A'," side, while the negative reviews tend toward the, "I didn't learn anything," side. If his book is a romanticization of the movement that birthed the Deganawidah Quetzalcoatl University fraud, Lafayette University would be well rid of him! However Rojo characterized that movement, his book seems well outside of his fields of instruction - i.e. not exactly the kind of publication universities want to see in decisions regarding tenure.

ETA: I see his book had to do with events in Mexico, rather than with DQU in CA. But still a bit wide of his fields of instruction.

As a Spanish language teacher, one would expect papers in linguistics or literature. But that would be a traditional take. Nowadays, critical theory permeates everything however--hence the SJW book on Mexico.

Also, notice that his bad ratings took about an imbalance in his personality.

Elspeth
09-08-2016, 06:13 PM
Prof Ends Hunger Strike Over Being Denied Tenure
http://legalinsurrection.com/2016/09/prof-ends-hunger-strike-over-being-denied-tenure/

The Chronicle of Higher Education reports:

Professor Ends Hunger Strike He Began After Being Denied Tenure

Juan J. Rojo, the assistant professor of Spanish who went on a hunger strike last week after being denied tenure at Lafayette College, ended his strike on Monday morning, according to news reports and a statement he posted on Facebook.

In the statement he said he wanted people to understand that ending his liquids-only fast “was a decision consciously made rather than me simply giving up.” He also said he hoped the attention his protest had drawn to “the larger issue” of flaws in the tenure process would “spark a discussion beyond Lafayette.”

Mr. Rojo announced his plan to begin a hunger strike last Tuesday during a faculty meeting. He criticized the decision by the college’s president, Alison R. Byerly, to override the judgment of both his department and a universitywide committee, which had recommended granting him tenure. He called her action a threat to faculty self-governance and questioned the college’s commitment to faculty diversity....

NJCardFan
09-08-2016, 07:59 PM
Is this a real hunger strike or a jail hunger strike?

Retread
09-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Is this a real hunger strike or a jail hunger strike?

Was a weekend crash diet.

Elspeth
09-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Was a weekend crash diet.

That's about the size of it...

ralph wiggum
09-09-2016, 10:21 PM
Paraphrasing a George Carlin line..."F*ck them don't want to eat!"