PDA

View Full Version : Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes

SarasotaRepub
11-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Cool if they really work!!! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos)

Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb.

The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.

The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company which said last week that it has taken its first firm orders and plans to start mass production within five years. 'Our goal is to generate electricity for 10 cents a watt anywhere in the world,' said John Deal, chief executive of Hyperion. 'They will cost approximately $25m [13m] each. For a community with 10,000 households, that is a very affordable $250 per home.'

I'm sure some enterprising young Sith will discover a way to make these
into a weapon...:D

hampshirebrit
11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
w00t!!!!!!

M21
11-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Plug in your little get around town electric car and we're off and running.

BSR
11-09-2008, 04:17 PM
W00t......

hampshirebrit
11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Plug in your little get around town electric car and we're off and running.

If it's one of these, count me in:

http://www.teslamotors.com/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w1C44JQU7Pc

LogansPapa
11-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmmmmmm.....this sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Hmmmmmm.....this sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

Like Cold Fusion? :confused::D

JB
11-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Hmmmmmm.....this sounds familiar. :rolleyes:It's amazing isn't it? This was just invented sometime between last Tuesday and today. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LogansPapa
11-09-2008, 06:07 PM
It's amazing isn't it? This was just invented sometime between last Tuesday and today. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No, actually - small nuclear power plants have driven submarines since the 1950's.;)

JB
11-09-2008, 06:22 PM
No, actually - small nuclear power plants have driven submarines since the 1950's.;)Well I'm glad we finally got away from hamster and wheel technology.

We should try diesel in case nuclear is not safe.

LogansPapa
11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Well I'm glad we finally got away from hamster and wheel technology.

We should try diesel in case nuclear is not safe.

Oh, my bad - I thought we going to have an adult exchange. Sorry.:o

JB
11-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh, my bad - I thought we going to have an adult exchange. Sorry.:oOy. Save it for someone you think you can outwit. But I'll play along:
Hmmmmmm.....this sounds familiar. What's your point?

LogansPapa
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Oy. Save it for someone you think you can outwit. But I'll play along:What's your point?

Point is, as I've stated more than a few times previously - reactors don't really need to be massive. It is not necessary to feed the grid. A completely new way to look at this issue should be visited in the idea of installing these assemblies, hundreds of them, across the country, updated on a regular basis and made small enough to swap out as revisions in technology dictate. That's it. Just a rational approach.

zBoots
11-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Point is, as I've stated more than a few times previously - reactors don't really need to be massive. It is not necessary to feed the grid. A completely new way to look at this issue should be visited in the idea of installing these assemblies, hundreds of them, across the country, updated on a regular basis and made small enough to swap out as revisions in technology dictate. That's it. Just a rational approach.

Too bad your buddies would launch 400 lawsuits the second anyone even really thought about, and thats before they found out the ring tail lizard lived under a rock where you wanted to "upgrade" it.

LogansPapa
11-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Too bad your buddies would launch 400 lawsuits the second anyone even really thought about, and thats before they found out the ring tail lizard lived under a rock where you wanted to "upgrade" it.

Simply put these installations on State and Federal property and that would flatten that "buddy" turd.

zBoots
11-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Simply put these installations on State and Federal property and that would flatten that "buddy" turd.

You know, I always forget the communist angle. Lucky you are here to solve all those issues for us.

JB
11-09-2008, 07:53 PM
That's it. Just a rational approach.Well then, you probably should have left the 'sarcasm' tag off your original post.

biccat
11-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Good idea, too bad the Obamassiah is "not a nuclear energy proponent."

This will never get off the ground.