PDA

View Full Version : Russian jet zooms within 10 feet of US spy plane in latest provocative action

FlaGator
09-07-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm beginning to think that China, Russia and Iran are really enjoying making Obama look like a complete incompetent horse's ass on the world stage.

A Russian fighter jet zoomed within just 10 feet of a U.S. Navy spy plane over the Black Sea on Wednesday, the latest in a string of daring maneuvers involving Russian aircraft and the U.S. military, a defense official with knowledge of the incident told Fox News.

The Russian Su-27 Flanker jet flew dangerously close to a U.S. Navy P-8 Poseidon reconnaissance aircraft used primarily for anti-submarine warfare while on routine patrol in international airspace, defense officials said.

Fox News is told a classified photo of the close call exists, but officials have not decided whether to release it. The entire encounter lasted 19 minutes, according to the Pentagon.
"We have concerns when there is an unsafe maneuver like this. These actions have the potential to unnecessarily escalate tensions, and could result in a miscalculation or accident," Navy Captain Jeff A. Davis told reporters. Russian defense officials reportedly claimed they did not violate any international rules.

story here (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/09/07/russian-jet-flies-dangerously-close-to-us-navy-spy-plane-over-black-sea.html)

I don't think these countries would have dared to do this when Bush was in office.

Elspeth
09-07-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm beginning to think that China, Russia and Iran are really enjoying making Obama look like a complete incompetent horse's ass on the world stage.

I don't think these countries would have dared to do this when Bush was in office.

I think you're right. Obama has really dropped the ball.

noonwitch
09-07-2016, 04:02 PM
I think Putin wants to control the Black Sea and he is in position to do so if he can just stick wedges between Turkey and the West. He has the Crimean peninsula, he has Syria, he just needs Istanbul. If Revelation is true and the time frame is now, Putin is the antichrist.

SVPete
09-07-2016, 07:44 PM
The P-8A is adapted from the Boeing 737. I noticed it has some counter-measures capability for self-defense. That Flanker pilot was lucky the Navy pilot didn't decide to learn what would happen if he released a couple of IR decoy flares when the Flanker got real close.

SarasotaRepub
09-07-2016, 08:03 PM
The P-8A is adapted from the Boeing 737. I noticed it has some counter-measures capability for self-defense. That Flanker pilot was lucky the Navy pilot didn't decide to learn what would happen if he released a couple of IR decoy flares when the Flanker got real close.

Does it involve the Flanker going <<Boom>>???

John Fin Kerry will probably apologize to Putin. :rolleyes:

SVPete
09-07-2016, 08:16 PM
Does it involve the Flanker going <<Boom>>???

John Fin Kerry will probably apologize to Putin. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine the outcome of a high-performance jet engine ingesting a super hot flare being pleasant.

SarasotaRepub
09-07-2016, 08:21 PM
I can't imagine the outcome of a high-performance jet engine ingesting a super hot flare being pleasant.

Imagine that!!!:cool:

Elspeth
09-07-2016, 09:05 PM
I think Putin wants to control the Black Sea and he is in position to do so if he can just stick wedges between Turkey and the West. He has the Crimean peninsula, he has Syria, he just needs Istanbul. If Revelation is true and the time frame is now, Putin is the antichrist.

Very cheerful spin on it, noonwitch! :biggrin-new:

Seriously, you are probably correct about the immediate strategic aims, although an even more immediate one is getting the US out of Syria.