PDA

View Full Version : Dell sucks donkey

OwlMBA
11-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Period. Do not buy anything made by those goons. They cannot make quality. It is impossible. After being burned by a Dell POS three years ago, I decided to give their Brand New Precision Mobile Workstation a try. I loaded it to the nines, and dropped about $2500 on it.

It was DOA out of the box. Blue screen of death on boot and could never get past it. Wiped the drive and installed XP. It booted, but CPU was stuck at 100% utilization and the machine was useless. I paid $300 for next day, on site support, so I called Dell. They gave me an IP to go to so they could "remote diagnose" my problem. After telling them three times it wouldnt even boot, they agreed to send someone out.

Took them 5 days to get someone out for my "Next Day, On Site" support. He was clueless. Replaced the hard drive, reinstalled the OS, same problem. He left.

That was 5 weeks ago. Still no sign of a Dell tech coming back to fix the machine. Oh, and no refunds either since I opened the box. Thats right. DOA out of the box and no refunds. So now I have a $2500 paperweight.

Thank goodness for AMEX. Calling to dispute the charge tomorrow.

biccat
11-10-2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.newegg.com

The old saying is still true today: if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Buy quality parts, know what you're putting into your PC, and get exactly what you want.

Ree
11-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm still usin my old Dell laptop. It's on it's last leg..But I had the gold service plan. they've came to my house replaced the keyboard, touchpad, motherboard and CD drive...I've never had any problems(except for tryin to over work it)

Zeus
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
For the most part I've heard way more good than bad about Dell equipment & support. I'm sticking with HP because I have had excellent performance from their equipment & superior Customer service the two times I availed it.

Few yrs back (4 -5 or there abouts) when I had my first flat panel monitor for about a yr it started to pixellate. I called the HP customer service number I had. Explained to the guy what the Monitor was doing. He said yep it's FUBAR. Said they were going to send me a replacement monitor & I was to put the old on in the packing the new one came in & send it back. This was in the morning,the next afternoon I had my new monitor.

Couple months later my system was doing some freaky stuff. After trouble shooting via Customer service phone support suggestions the problem wasn't found or fixed. They gave me some names & addresses of local HP authorized repair companies I could take my system to to get it fixed at no charge. They also gave me the option of paying if memory serves it was $22 for in home repair. I opted for the in home.

Again it was about 2 days later the guy shows up at my doorstep to have a look at my computer. After about 5 minutes of tweaking he stated 'It's your Video card. Your video card is hardwired to the mother board so I am going to just give you a new mother board. About 15 minutes later my Computer was up & running. The Tech didn't take the $22, he said he could include it in his bill to HP.

M21
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
For the most part I've heard way more good than bad about Dell equipment & support. I'm sticking with HP because I have had excellent performance from their equipment & superior Customer service the two times I availed it.

HP sucks now too. I just recently spent hours of my life I can't get back with some cats in India who were clueless. I completed a customer satisfaction survey and rated them a zero. I also informed them I'll never buy another HP product in my lifetime.

HP just quit caring. When will these guys bring customer service back to the US? They are all in bed together. I guess if you want a good machine you have to build it yourself and be your own customer support.

Zeus
11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
HP sucks now too. I just recently spent hours of my life I can't get back with some cats in India who were clueless. I completed a customer satisfaction survey and rated them a zero. I also informed them I'll never buy another HP product in my lifetime.

HP just quit caring. When will these guys bring customer service back to the US? They are all in bed together. I guess if you want a good machine you have to build it yourself and be your own customer support.

Little known secret about these Customer servicece call centers is they do have Domestic only(PC code for english only) service reps. You do have to request one though. I did have an chat with a young gal in India, From what I could understand she seemed to know her stuff. She tried and I wasn't complaining but after awhile she asked if it was ok if she transferred me to a domestic rep.

I have heard HP has went downhillconsiderably since acquiring Compaq. That & that CEO chic that tried to drive them into the ground but they eventually shit canned her.

M21
11-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey OWL, Here's a nice thread at CNET (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7586_102-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=112547&start=0&tag=forum-w;forums06) discussing this very subject. It won't make you feel any better though.

JB
11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
That blows Owl and I've seen you slam Dell in another thread.

I couldn't be happier with my Dell setup. Practically problem free. I'm a lock as a repeat customer.

I probably just jinxed myself. Look for a whiny zone thread shortly. :D

AlmostThere
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I think I bought my first Dell box back in 1988. Back in the beginning and for a number of years their tech support rocked. It's been a number of years since that was true. I'm with biccat, buy your parts at Newegg and build your own. You get a better box for your money and you don't have the frustration of dealing with lousy tech support people.

Right-On
11-12-2008, 03:35 PM

The old saying is still true today: if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Buy quality parts, know what you're putting into your PC, and get exactly what you want.

I am glad i scrolled down a little because this is exactly what i was going to say. Build ur own or have one built it for you. Compaq, Dell and HP need to be avoided like the plague. Although, i have a Toshiba laptop for two years now and it is still like new. I am very happy with it so far.

PoliCon
11-12-2008, 03:38 PM

Buy quality parts, know what you're putting into your PC, and get exactly what you want.One of my best friends custom built my system for me using mainly that site - and as a result I got a system that I would have had to have paid over $3000 for if I had purchased it commercially - for just over $1000. 2 intel core duo processors - 3 hard drives totaling over 1500 GIGS - top of the line video everything else - 21 inch flat panel monitor . . . . 8 gigs ram . . . . a heat sink as big as my head and a brushed aluminum case. :) I'm good for a few years.

NOW - my computer at work - the one i am using now - is a POS and guess who made it? Yup. Dell.

PoliCon
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
HP sucks now too. Not their printers though. Their printers have always and continue to rock.

Zeus
11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Not their printers though. Their printers have always and continue to rock.

I'll second that. They cost more overall but IMHO worth the few extra bucks. I was leery of those All-in-on printer/fax/copier/scanner setups but my kids got me one for Christmas about 4 yrs ago. It's still going strong and still amazes me at times. Was a couple hundred bucks well spent I'd say.

Side note: Dell does not make their own printers. They used to have a Name Liscensing agreement with HP, Xerox, Epson, Canon and Lexmark. About five yrs back made the decission to go head to head against printer manufacturers by selling Dell-branded printers, and it gave Lexmark the dubious honor of serving as the exclusive original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of those printers.

PoliCon
11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I'll second that. They cost more overall but IMHO worth the few extra bucks. I was leery of those All-in-on printer/fax/copier/scanner setups but my kids got me one for Christmas about 4 yrs ago. It's still going strong and still amazes me at times. Was a couple hundred bucks well spent I'd say.

Side note: Dell does not make their own printers. They used to have a Name Liscensing agreement with HP, Xerox, Epson, Canon and Lexmark. About five yrs back made the decission to go head to head against printer manufacturers by selling Dell-branded printers, and it gave Lexmark the dubious honor of serving as the exclusive original equipment manufacturer (OEM) of those printers.I do a TON of printing so it was a great investment for me to get a HP business inkjet and I highly recommend then to anyone looking to buy a printer. They are sooo much more cost effective if you do a lot of photo or other color printing because they have the ink heads separate from the ink itself and they have the colors separate as well. SO when I but a $30 cartridge - I get $30 worth of ink I will use until its gone. No throwing out a color cartridge because it's out of yellow even thought the blue and cyan are both still full . . . .

Zeus
11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
I do a TON of printing so it was a great investment for me to get a HP business inkjet and I highly recommend then to anyone looking to buy a printer. They are sooo much more cost effective if you do a lot of photo or other color printing because they have the ink heads separate from the ink itself and they have the colors separate as well. SO when I but a $30 cartridge - I get $30 worth of ink I will use until its gone. No throwing out a color cartridge because it's out of yellow even thought the blue and cyan are both still full . . . .

I was thinking that after my previous post. Their ink cartridge techology is such that savings in a short little while makes up for the premium expemded on the printer. The durability of the printer is an incalculable savings also.

I gave my old 560C printer to the church secretary about 8 - 10 yrs ago. It's still running like a champ.

wulfpaw
11-14-2008, 04:00 AM
I've had my problems with both gateway and dell. It's my considered opinion that you don't buy a good running comp and OS, you just rent it. With use and time these things always screw up. Always get the re-install disks so you can re-install the OS. There'll be times where it'll be the only recourse to wipe the comp of virus etc. The beauty of comps is that they're assembly-line machines with craftsman-style options. Choose carefully with an eye towards eventual upgrades to begin with, and you can extend the machines useful life years past what it's original components could have coped with.

SarasotaRepub
11-14-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm on my 2nd Dell for home use and also use them in work. I used to build my own systems too but just got tired of it for some reason.

I've always been happy with Dell equipment. My 1st Dell (which i still have) just flat out died one day on bootup. My current one is a Dell Dimension E521 with the Athlon X2 chip, plenty horsepower for surfin the net and WP, I'm not a gamer.

So far, I haven't had to call Dell for support.

Full-Auto
11-17-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm done with PC's for good.

The abomination called Vista put the last nail in that coffin.

I gave Mac a try after deciding I was not buying a new PC with Vista installed on it and couldn't be happier. I've found what true quality is.

PoliCon
11-17-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm done with PC's for good.

The abomination called Vista put the last nail in that coffin.

I gave Mac a try after deciding I was not buying a new PC with Vista installed on it and couldn't be happier. I've found what true quality is.You do know that only Hippies use Macs right? :p

OwlMBA
11-18-2008, 02:03 AM
You do know that only Hippies use Macs right? :p

Seriously! Whats next? Sandals with socks?

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Seriously! Whats next? Sandals with socks?Yup. Then - THEN he'll be buying into global warming hysteria - and from there it's just a short leap into full blown communism. Sad really. :(

CueSi
11-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a Dell. . .It's OKAY. I don't think I'd buy another one, but I'm not ready to go to the dark side and get a Mac.

~QC