Michael Steele / Bobby Jindal

Thoughts?

Sonnabend
11-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Palin/ Jindal :D

GrumpyOldLady
11-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Crist/Jindal.

Romney will be ticked because he thinks he's the man for 2012.

Crist = Florida. Moderates. Real executive experience. Crisis management (hurricanes)

Jindal = South. Catholic vote. Minority vote. Real executive experience Crisis management (hurricanes)

linda22003
11-11-2008, 08:23 AM
My 2012 Republican Ticket Prediction:

Thoughts?

Perhaps the other way around; Michael Steele is living the comfortable big law firm life right now (although he stays involved with GOPAC). I like them both, from what I have seen.

Ree
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Right now this is all "pie in the sky"
The best thing to do at this time if find great Conservatives to run in 2010....
At this time we have no idea who or what will be needed in 12..So maybe it might be the smartest thing for the GOP to start crossin one bridge at a time?

Speedy
11-11-2008, 10:10 AM
So maybe it might be the smartest thing for the GOP to start crossin one bridge at a time?

That would beat the fuck out of McCain's winning "crossing the aisle" strategy. I am really pissed about Obama winning, but am not really disappointed that McCain lost. By losing, he has no political capital and hopefully he will be shunned by the GOP like the last loser of a Presidential Election, Kerry is by his own party.

zBoots
11-11-2008, 10:23 AM
I wouldnt mind John Sununu getting a look-see. He is young and has promise.

Ree
11-11-2008, 10:40 AM
That would beat the fuck out of McCain's winning "crossing the aisle" strategy. I am really pissed about Obama winning, but am not really disappointed that McCain lost. By losing, he has no political capital and hopefully he will be shunned by the GOP like the last loser of a Presidential Election, Kerry is by his own party.
I'm bummed Obaba won...but it's not the end of the USA...
I've seen some Conservatives act almost like DUmmies....I wanna tell those peeps...pick yourself up,pull your head outta your ass and get your ass in gear....We lost an election...Guess what...there's another one in 2 years...

lacarnut
11-11-2008, 10:46 AM
No more RINO's, moderates or whatever the hell you want to call them. We need a true blue conservative like Palin, Newt, Jindal or Steele who can connect with the voters and is a good debater. Out of those 4, I think Palin is the best choice.

YupItsMe
11-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm bummed Obaba won...but it's not the end of the USA...
I've seen some Conservatives act almost like DUmmies....I wanna tell those peeps...pick yourself up,pull your head outta your ass and get your ass in gear....We lost an election...Guess what...there's another one in 2 years...

It's because they've got a substantial majority in both houses and the moderate Dems are mostly gone.
Some things are almost irreversible. If they pass nat'l healthcare we're stuck with it. That's why I'm so glum. The checks and balances are gone. These guys are going to work as fast as they can. They'll be no reaching across the aisle. believe me.

Ree
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
It's because they've got a substantial majority in both houses and the moderate Dems are mostly gone.
Some things are almost irreversible. If they pass nat'l healthcare we're stuck with it. That's why I'm so glum. The checks and balances are gone. These guys are going to work as fast as they can. They'll be no reaching across the aisle. believe me.
I don't see how Obaba can pass Nat'l healthcare very fast....

zBoots
11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't see how Obaba can pass Nat'l healthcare very fast....

He can't do it at all.

bluemeenie
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Palin is tainted and would not be a viable candidate in 2012.

Lets see Gingrich back in the party chair and cleaning house to see what cream rises to the top...and go from there.

but this last batch of candidates to come through the process were all middle of the road (even when they tried not to be).

Honestly I won't vote for the next politician that decries he is carrying the mantle of Reagen.....Don't be Reagen.

Reagen was Reagen. Be someone new and better.

Troll
11-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm banking on Arlen Specter/Michael Bloomberg.

LogansPapa
11-11-2008, 02:44 PM

Actually, Reagan was Reagan. :p

M21
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Patrick J.Buchanan and Sister Sarah in either order.

linda22003
11-11-2008, 02:52 PM
I wouldnt mind John Sununu getting a look-see. He is young and has promise.

He couldn't hold his own seat. That doesn't show much promise.

M21
11-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Lets see Gingrich back in the party chair and cleaning house to see what cream rises to the top...and go from there.

Newt ignited some of what we see today when it turned out he was actually a rat guarding the cheese. He spoke with a forked tounge when he was taking pork back to Georgia to build C-130s the Air Force specifically said they didn't need.

crockspot
11-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Palin/Who cares? :o

patriot45
11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Palin is tainted and would not be a viable candidate in 2012.

but this last batch of candidates to come through the process were all middle of the road (even when they tried not to be).

Honestly I won't vote for the next politician that decries he is carrying the mantle of Reagen.....Don't be Reagen.

Tainted only by the MSM and our resident libs!

wiegenlied
11-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Mike Huckabee/ Mitt Romney. But it is still 4 years from now, many things can happen between now and then.

M21
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Mike Huckabee/ Mitt Romney. But it is still 4 years from now, many things can happen between now and then.

:rolleyes:

Odysseus
11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Back when I pointed out that Obama would be the nominee (at the beginning of the primaries) because Democrats always try to pick new faces when they don't have an incumbent for the ticket, I also pointed out that Republicans tend to pick the person who they perceive as having paid their dues during the previous campaign. The pattern is Nixon in 1968, Reagan in 1980 (after running against Ford in '76), Bush 41 in '88 (as Reagan's veep and also Reagan's previous primary adversary), Dole in '96 (Ford's veep, primary also ran in 1980) and McCain in 2008 (Bush 43's primary opponent in 2000). The sole exception to that is Bush 43. The point is, we always nominate someone who made their bones in the previous election cycles. That means either Romney, as the second place finisher in the 2008 primaries or Palin, but Huckabee and Giuliani also have a shot. Republicans like to vet their candidates. Now, of these, Palin has the highest profile and is the most conservative as a governor (Romney is weak on abortion, but very strong on executive experience, but after a full term and a half as governor of Alaska, Palin will have more experience to offer, and Huckabee was weak on the tax issue, another Palin strength). Giuliani has too much baggage in terms of socially liberal positions to appeal to the party mainstream, although he did do very well as a convention speaker.

The vice president is a purely tactical pick, the goal being to provide someone who does no harm to the ticket and who can provide the kinds of barbed shots that the presidential candidate can't without seeming petty. The veep is the campaign's attack dog. Despite the media attacks on her, and the perceptions of the most liberal members of CU, Palin met both criteria. She energized the Republican base and actually did the attack dog job fairly well, and would have been more effective if the campaign had used her more. The point is that the veep has to be someone who can deliver a good, mean soundbyte and who is perceived as a viable alternate to the top of the ticket, in that order. If Giuliani didn't alienate so many conservatives, he'd be perfect.

My prediction is that Palin will be the nominee, with someone out of the senate as her veep choice, possibly John Cornyn of TX (solid conservative and a good senator who easily held his seat this year). Bobby Jindal is a longshot, both as the nominee and as the veep, since he's never run for president before, and you don't need two governors on the ticket.

(Oh, and if Obama governs the way that I think he will, then expect a serious primary challenge from Hillary, similar to Teddy Kennedy's challenge of Carter in 1980).

Ree
11-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Please....Huck is funny(best left on TV) Mitt looks like a Ken doll w/ plastic hair...

M21
11-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Please....Huck is funny(best left on TV) Mitt looks like a Ken doll w/ plastic hair...

A losing ticket before they ever declared. Not that they would ever run together anyway. Maybe he was trying to be funny of somethin. :confused:

What's up wiegenlied? Were you trying to be funny?

xavierob82
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
If the economy recovers during Obama's first term-- which it probably will-- then Obama will win in a landslide in 2012. The Obama get-out-the-vote effort is phenomenal. Obama supporters will crawl over broken glass to vote for him. ... Especially with all these names I'm hearing tossed around. Palin? Romney? Jindal? Newt!?!?!?:eek: You gotta be kidding me.:rolleyes:

What Republicans don't seem to understand is that religious/evangelical Christian conservativism is dead in America. Everywhere except in the Deep South, it appears. The GOP has now become a regional party.

You Repubs have fucked up so bad, that even affluent, educated voters have now become Democrats. You all don't seem to realize that America has undergone a political realignment.
Affluent Voters Key to Obama Victory (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15471.html)

BadCat
11-11-2008, 04:54 PM
If the economy recovers during Obama's first term-- which it probably will-- then Obama will win in a landslide in 2012. The Obama get-out-the-vote effort is phenomenal. Obama supporters will crawl over broken glass to vote for him. ... Especially with all these names I'm hearing tossed around. Palin? Romney? Jindal? Newt!?!?!?:eek: You gotta be kidding me.:rolleyes:

What Republicans don't seem to understand is that religious/evangelical Christian conservativism is dead in America. Everywhere except in the Deep South, it appears. The GOP has now become a regional party.

You Repubs have fucked up so bad, that even affluent, educated voters have now become Democrats. You all don't seem to realize that America has undergone a political realignment.
Affluent Voters Key to Obama Victory (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15471.html)

I'll bet you're not affluent.

zBoots
11-11-2008, 05:02 PM
If the economy recovers during Obama's first term-- which it probably will-- then Obama will win in a landslide in 2012.

That is pretty much all there is too it. As the economy goes, so will he. The rest of the stuff is fluff. The wallet is number 1 and the number 1 decider of the vote.

I would not agree that he could ever win in a landslide. The magic negro novelty has 4, likely painful years to wear off. There is many a slip betwixt a cup and a lip. He is not even in office and people are wondering why he hasnt gotten anything done.

Yes, he will lift the ban on stem cell research with executive order and the msm and holly wood elite will croon.

No, no one really cares. They care about their wallet.

If gas is 5 bucks a gallon, President X is gone; stem cells or not.

LogansPapa
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM

http://bonius.com/images/2006/03/16/guinness.jpg

BRILLIANT!

M21
11-11-2008, 05:14 PM

As evidenced by Proposition 8 and Amendment 2. Couldn't pull off a win in one of the most liberal states in the Union. People voted their Conservative values.

Celestron
11-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Well..so much for Steele....

Steele Likely to Seek RNC Leadership Post (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/11/steele-likely-seek-rnc-leadership-post/)

The former Maryland lieutenant governor is considering a run for the chairmanship of the Republican Party, a source close to the situation told FOX News.

link (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/11/steele-likely-seek-rnc-leadership-post/)

YupItsMe
11-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Well..so much for Steele....

Steele Likely to Seek RNC Leadership Post (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/11/steele-likely-seek-rnc-leadership-post/)

The former Maryland lieutenant governor is considering a run for the chairmanship of the Republican Party, a source close to the situation told FOX News.

link (http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11/11/steele-likely-seek-rnc-leadership-post/)

I think this would also be a good spot for him. He's sharp. He'd probably help the party out. Maybe if he got on TV in 2012 and said vote for my "Brotha Bobby Jindahl" a few blacks might actually get confused in the voting botth and vote Republican.

Milly
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Other than as the key-note speaker at the 2004 Democratic convention, how many people really knew anything about Barack Obama four years ago? I sure didn't.

That said, I don't think the Republican nominee for 2012 is even on the radar screen yet.

I would have sworn that my Representative was one of the good guys, but he voted for the bail-out bill much against the wishes of his constituents. The next district south of me has a very good conservative Representative named Mike Pence who voted against it.

Let's face it, the RNC is loaded with Rinos.

How about we spend some time checking out voting records for the next year or two before we annoint somebody?

I might add that it would be very nice if we chose our OWN nominee this go-round. How many Democrats crossed over in open primaries and saddled us with McCain?

Shannon
11-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Crist/Jindal.

Romney will be ticked because he thinks he's the man for 2012.

Crist = Florida. Moderates. Real executive experience. Crisis management (hurricanes)

Jindal = South. Catholic vote. Minority vote. Real executive experience Crisis management (hurricanes)

No thanks on Crist.

Odysseus
11-12-2008, 12:35 PM
You must learn the difference between likely outcomes and wishful thinking. The economy would have recovered if Washington hadn't interfered by pulling an additional $700 billion out of the private sector and distributed it to it's buddies in the finance sector. Instead, we'll see a record deficit with continued plans for additional spending. That's going to create one of two problems: Either the dollar be inflated or deflated. Inflation is actually the better proposition (so long as it stays below 5% or 6%), as it will stabilize the housing market (even if your APR is adjustable, the principle is fixed, so you're still paying off your loan in devalued dollars). If we get deflation, however, we will run into a serious problem.

Deflation occurs when prices drop against currency, which sounds good in theory, but in fact, it's disastrous. Capital becomes prohibitively expensive, so businesses cannot expand, so wages fall and jobs decline. That was the major financial issue in the US during the Great Depression, while Germany suffered from hyperinflation. Now, what causes deflation? Well, one thing that can cause it is interest rate cuts that leave the prime rate so low that banks can't lend money except at a loss. The Federal Discount Rate is now 1.25, down from 1.75 a month ago, and 5.00 from last year. Now, I could be wrong about this, and you may have some information that I lack, so please feel free to tell me why you think that the economy will rebound after the new administration has fulfilled its promises to bankrupt the coal industry, spend several trillion in new projects and draw down our military (with the added effect of reducing the security of the sea lanes that maintain our trade).

It's not affluent, educated voters, its urban voters, who have always been Democrats. Big city machines have always been run by Democrats, and NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles and the like have never had Republican majorities. The major change this time was that the center was convinced that Obama was a moderate by a media that suppressed critical information about him. If he governs the way that he has voted as a senator and state legislator (which means that he'll be "present" for some of his crises), you can anticipate a major backlash against him in 2010, just as there was against Clinton in 1994.

Other than as the key-note speaker at the 2004 Democratic convention, how many people really knew anything about Barack Obama four years ago? I sure didn't.

That said, I don't think the Republican nominee for 2012 is even on the radar screen yet.

I would have sworn that my Representative was one of the good guys, but he voted for the bail-out bill much against the wishes of his constituents. The next district south of me has a very good conservative Representative named Mike Pence who voted against it.
Let's face it, the RNC is loaded with Rinos.
How about we spend some time checking out voting records for the next year or two before we annoint somebody?
I might add that it would be very nice if we chose our OWN nominee this go-round. How many Democrats crossed over in open primaries and saddled us with McCain?

As I said before, the Republican nominee will most likely be someone who was prominent in this last primary cycle or the veep nominee.

AlmostThere
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM

The only thing Obama had going for him is that he is supposedly very intelligent. We'll never know as long as he continues to withhold his college records. But one thing we DO know is that Jindal and Newt are a couple of the most intelligent people in politics today. Jindal is only a state governor and we know he graduated with honors from Brown University. Was accepted to Harvard Medical School and Yale Law School. Instead of either of these offers he attended New College, Oxford, received a Master's Degree in Political Science and was a Rhodes Scholar.
Newt has a B.A. from Emory and a Ph.D from Tulane.

And no, no one is kidding you.

PoliCon
11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
My 2012 Republican Ticket Prediction:

Thoughts?I'm okay with any 2 conservatives being on the ticket. They only way we can insure that though is to CLOSE all of our early state primaries. The press and savvy people on the left engineered McCain's early victories and gave him the momentum he needed and would not have had without open primaries. So - regardless of who it turns out to be - we have to close our primaries.

bluemeenie
11-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Umm McCains run for the presidency was manufactured by Guiliani convincing the Republican party to change their primary laws to Winner Take all...

If he had not done that, then Romney would have been the Republican presidential Candidate as he received the next highest vote total (almost equal in some NE states), plus most of the vote in the western states went to him.

I think a Romney/Obama campaigne especially when the economy started to become involved would have been a whole different ball of wax.

It might have been closer...might not. Romney was a governor and I don't think the "4 more years of Bush" would have stuck to him like it did to McCain. That and Romney is a much better speaker and debater and would have looked much better going up against Obama.

Face it.....who didn't think every time you saw the debates that it looked like the Old Guard Angry White man going up against the new generation eloquent black man on TV....

It made our party, and thus our ideals "seem" old and out of touch....

bluemeenie
11-12-2008, 06:19 PM
note to above....it was pretty much what Clinton wanted for the Dem party. If it had been Winner take all like the Republican primaries Clinton would have deff. won them instead of splitting them.

Clinton won all the key large delegate rich states (NY, MASS, CAL, TEX ect) just like McCain did...just only by slime margins (Just like McCain).

linda22003
11-12-2008, 06:19 PM
I think this would also be a good spot for him. He's sharp. He'd probably help the party out. Maybe if he got on TV in 2012 and said vote for my "Brotha Bobby Jindahl"

You've apparently never heard Mr. Steele speak, if you think he speaks in that fashion.

YupItsMe
11-12-2008, 06:35 PM
You've apparently never heard Mr. Steele speak, if you think he speaks in that fashion.

I have heard him speak. He's very bright and eloquent which is why they throw oreos at him, but maybe he could fake it once in a while. You know to get some of that 90% that vote by color. Maybe if he had a "9" and did that weird cerebal palsey thing with his wrists. Just aksing, that's all. ;)

PoliCon
11-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Umm McCains run for the presidency was manufactured by Guiliani convincing the Republican party to change their primary laws to Winner Take all...

Clinton won all the key large delegate rich states (NY, MASS, CAL, TEX ect) just like McCain did...just only by slime margins (Just like McCain).Further evidence that we need primary reform. I'm not sure proportional delegate counts are the answer - perhaps the key is to shorten the season - have all the primaries within a week or two or all on the same day.

wiegenlied
11-15-2008, 08:14 AM
If Giuliani didn't alienate so many conservatives, he'd be perfect.

My prediction is that Palin will be the nominee, with someone out of the senate as her veep choice, possibly John Cornyn of TX (solid conservative and a good senator who easily held his seat this year). Bobby Jindal is a longshot, both as the nominee and as the veep, since he's never run for president before, and you don't need two governors on the ticket.

(Oh, and if Obama governs the way that I think he will, then expect a serious primary challenge from Hillary, similar to Teddy Kennedy's challenge of Carter in 1980).

Giulani's stands is ambiguous. He gave domestic partnership rights for gay and lesbian, supported protection for illegal immigrants, supported affirmative action, and funded stem-cell research. Not to mention his various scandals from extra-marital affairs to Harding/ Kerik.

I agree that Palin is a good and honest governor. However, she needs to be more adept in dealing with media and foreign affairs. She needs to be very good in speeches and debates in order to win over the majorities of voters.

Cornyn's policies mostly resemble Bush'. Romney and Palin both are fiscally conservative, and they have proven records in cutting spending, earning surplus, and cutting taxes. They might become a good match. Those who can not be captured well by Palin, can be seized by Romney. Of course I ruled out the phrase of Romney being "the most intellectually dishonest human being in the history of politics" here.

The prospect of having Palin and Hillary win the primaries is actually quite interesting.

Jindal might be able to swing Obama's supporters as he represents the minorities. But he has a long way to go.

wiegenlied
11-15-2008, 08:16 AM

Yeah... is that an expression to point out that Romney is classy?

Moon
11-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Further evidence that we need primary reform. I'm not sure proportional delegate counts are the answer - perhaps the key is to shorten the season - have all the primaries within a week or two or all on the same day.

That's my suggestion as well. The primaries should be held later in the year, like in July or even August, with the conventions to follow soon after.

Ree
11-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah... is that an expression to point out that Romney is classy?
I take it ya never had a Ken doll......:p

Moon
11-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Right now this is all "pie in the sky"
The best thing to do at this time if find great Conservatives to run in 2010....
At this time we have no idea who or what will be needed in 12..So maybe it might be the smartest thing for the GOP to start crossin one bridge at a time?

DING! We have to work locally to get the right candidates elected so we can diminish the power the left currently holds in Congress. 2012 will work itself out.

EricMartin
11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Judging by what I've been reading on various conservative websites and blogs, a Palin/Romney or Romney/Palin ticket seems most likely.

There's a good article on it here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081114.wcoessay1115/BNStory/specialComment/home).

PoliCon
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
That's my suggestion as well. The primaries should be held later in the year, like in July or even August, with the conventions to follow soon after.I'm not sure about pushing them later - I just want to see them all together. No more of this 2 or 3 states getting to decide who the rest of us get - ESPECIALLY unfaithful states like Iowa and New Hampshire.

Odysseus
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure about pushing them later - I just want to see them all together. No more of this 2 or 3 states getting to decide who the rest of us get - ESPECIALLY unfaithful states like Iowa and New Hampshire.

And that's a valid point. The Republican primaries should be front-loaded with red states that reflect the views of the base, rather than blue states that won't go our way under any circumstances. That way, we know that the base will support our candidate, and we can spend the campaign making inroads in the swing states, rather than playing defense.

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 05:53 PM
And that's a valid point. The Republican primaries should be front-loaded with red states that reflect the views of the base, rather than blue states that won't go our way under any circumstances. That way, we know that the base will support our candidate, and we can spend the campaign making inroads in the swing states, rather than playing defense.exactly. we also need to make sure that our primaries are CLOSED. No more letting dems or independents sway the vote to their candidate of choice.