PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama is looking more like a realist

Puro Fan
11-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Barack Obama is looking more like a realist

The president-elect who promised to overthrow Washington's partisanship and cronyism is turning to seasoned veterans -- even lobbyists -- in an apparent effort to avoid rookie mistakes.

By Janet Hook and Peter Nicholas
November 12, 2008

Reporting from Washington -- Now that the confetti has fallen, the nascent administration of Barack Obama has come face to face with one of its biggest challenges: living up to the exceptionally high expectations his thrilling campaign produced among supporters and long-suffering Democrats.

At his transition team's first public briefing Tuesday, the audience was wildly outsized for the presentation by the transition chief, owlish think-tank denizen John Podesta. . . .

. . . To burnish Obama's reformist credentials, Podesta on Tuesday rolled out what he billed as a tough set of ethics rules targeting professional lobbyists. But there was a loophole: Lobbyists could work on the transition as long as they stayed away from the policy areas that their lobbying involved.

As a candidate, Obama's language when it came to lobbyists was far more emphatic. "I have done more to take on lobbyists than any other candidate in this race -- and I've won," he said in the South Carolina speech. "I don't take a dime of their money, and when I am president, they won't find a job in my White House."

Realist? Liar? Or both?

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-transition12-2008nov12,0,2131827.story

jinxmchue
11-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, we can't prove he took money from lobbyists because of all the anonymous, untraceable donations he took in.

Ree
11-12-2008, 12:07 PM
He's pragmatic??/:D:D:D

enslaved1
11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Realist? Liar? Or both?

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-transition12-2008nov12,0,2131827.story
Business as usual politician gets my vote. Definately not the great sweeping change that was promised eh?