PDA

View Full Version : Colin Kaepernick Hosts Black Panther-Inspired Youth Camp

Elspeth
11-03-2016, 01:41 AM
Colin Kaepernick Hosts Black Panther-Inspired Youth Camp
http://www.weaselzippers.us/304939-colin-kaepernick-hosts-black-panther-inspired-youth-camp/

Via Washington Times:

Colin Kaepernick, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback who started a movement of kneeling during the national anthem to highlight racial injustices in America, quietly hosted an “I Know My Rights” summer camp for children of color over the weekend.

Mr. Kaepernick and a small group of his friends had been secretly planning the camp at Impact Hub Oakland in Oakland, California, in the hopes of teaching minority children how to deal with racial discrimination, police brutality and a variety of other social issues, the New York Daily News’ Shaun King exclusively reported.

“I didn’t just want to hire someone to come in and do this. We did all of this ourselves,” Mr. Kaepernick told Mr. King. “We even opted out of corporate sponsors because we just wanted the freedom to say exactly what we thought the kids we’ve brought here today need to hear and learn. I told myself that if I was going to do this type of work, that I was going to actually do it myself.”

Mr. King and his son, 10-year-old EZ, attended the event on Saturday. Each camper wore a T-shirt with 10 rights listed on the back that organizers said every child of color should know.

The rights were inspired by the popular Ten-Point Program created by the Black Panther Party, who celebrated their 50th anniversary in October. Among the rights included, “You have the right to be free,” “You have the right to be healthy,” and “You have the right to be loved.”

Dlr Pyro
11-03-2016, 02:01 PM
and NFL viewership continues to decline.......

noonwitch
11-03-2016, 02:35 PM
I bet the campers would rather play football. Kids sign up for camps sponsored by athletes because they want to learn new athletic skills to use back home.

Back when the Pistons were good, several players did day camps-the kids loved them. One kid told me he learned the most at Joe Dumar's camp, but had the most fun at Rodman's camp (before he slept with Madonna and lost his freaking mind).

Elspeth
11-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Back when the Pistons were good, several players did day camps-the kids loved them. One kid told me he learned the most at Joe Dumar's camp, but had the most fun at Rodman's camp (before he slept with Madonna and lost his freaking mind).

What happened to Rodman?

oldcoastie1
11-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Who cares what the commie player says or does?

noonwitch
11-04-2016, 11:53 AM
What happened to Rodman?

He was always a little crazy. During his last years as a Piston, his girlfriend left him and took their daughter, wouldn't let him visit. His beloved coach Chuck Daly had retired. He had an incident in which he disappeared for a short time, reportedly with a gun, and everyone thought he was going to kill himself. He was found shooting baskets on the court at Oakland U.

Shortly after that, he has a short-term relationship with the Material Girl. Then he went totally crazy and started all the weird cross-dressing, tattoos, piercings and such. The Pistons traded him to San Antonio, who then traded him eventually to the Bulls.

Dr. Drew thinks that in addition to his substance abuse issues, he is probably autistic to one degree or another. If he is, it explains a lot about his issues.

Elspeth
11-04-2016, 12:47 PM
Dr. Drew thinks that in addition to his substance abuse issues, he is probably autistic to one degree or another. If he is, it explains a lot about his issues.

Could be. Did he just disappear after all that?

noonwitch
11-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Could be. Did he just disappear after all that?

He was on Celebrity Rehab about 4-5 years ago, after getting either a DUI or some other alcohol-related offense that resulted in him being court-ordered into treatment. Since then, no news-maybe he actually took it all to heart. He was very caring toward the other people in the program, but wouldn't admit to an addiction. He would say the alcohol caused him problems and admit that he needed help, though.

His mom came to the family day. She had not talked to him in many years at that point-he just didn't call her. He wasn't angry with her, just not very connected to her in an emotional sense. Yet on the first episode, one of the other patients passed out and had to be transported by ambulance to a regular hospital, and he held her hand and walked along her stretcher until they put her in the ambulance. Someone he had just met. He also was still grieving for Chuck Daly, who had been a father figure to him.

If you ever watched him play B-ball, especially during his years with the Pistons, he was not the average star player. He had a very specific role-rebounding. No one was like him. He couldn't shoot a free throw and struggled with layups, but he could hit 3 pointers. The way he played the sport is fairly consistent with an autism diagnosis, as is the lack of connection with his mother and the over-connection with a stranger.

I find him fascinating from a psychological perspective. If he is autistic, he never received any kind of treatment or assistance as a child, which would explain why he turned to alcohol for relief and why he has such weird relationship patterns. Yet despite all of that, he's got at least 2 NBA championship rings-I think he picked up a 3rd as a Bull, but I'm not sure.

RobJohnson
11-04-2016, 02:46 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02772/Kim-and-Rodman_2772852b.jpg

Elspeth
11-04-2016, 07:15 PM
He was on Celebrity Rehab about 4-5 years ago, after getting either a DUI or some other alcohol-related offense that resulted in him being court-ordered into treatment. Since then, no news-maybe he actually took it all to heart. He was very caring toward the other people in the program, but wouldn't admit to an addiction. He would say the alcohol caused him problems and admit that he needed help, though.

His mom came to the family day. She had not talked to him in many years at that point-he just didn't call her. He wasn't angry with her, just not very connected to her in an emotional sense. Yet on the first episode, one of the other patients passed out and had to be transported by ambulance to a regular hospital, and he held her hand and walked along her stretcher until they put her in the ambulance. Someone he had just met. He also was still grieving for Chuck Daly, who had been a father figure to him.

I had not seen this.

If you ever watched him play B-ball, especially during his years with the Pistons, he was not the average star player. He had a very specific role-rebounding. No one was like him. He couldn't shoot a free throw and struggled with layups, but he could hit 3 pointers. The way he played the sport is fairly consistent with an autism diagnosis, as is the lack of connection with his mother and the over-connection with a stranger.

I find him fascinating from a psychological perspective. If he is autistic, he never received any kind of treatment or assistance as a child, which would explain why he turned to alcohol for relief and why he has such weird relationship patterns. Yet despite all of that, he's got at least 2 NBA championship rings-I think he picked up a 3rd as a Bull, but I'm not sure.

I never thought of an "autistic style" of basketball play. How would autism have connected with his play? (I don't know much about how autism affects motor skills.)

Banacek
11-05-2016, 02:40 PM
The NFL Hall Of Fame has decided that deceased former Raider quarterback Ken Stabler's family will not receive a Hall of Fame jacket or ring because he is dead.

Does the NFL take back jackets and rings when a hall of fame player dies ?

I also sent another email to Goodell asking him if he is saving the coat and ring for Colon Kaepernick or Darren Sharper ?

I haven't gotten a relpy yet !