PDA

View Full Version : Sir Elton John's Response To Prop 8

megimoo
11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
In December 2005, Sir Elton John had civil partnership ceremony in Windsor, England. You may be surprised with Elton John's reaction to California's proposition 8. He says he does not see why gays need to be married and that to him civil partnerships seem adequate. "We're not married. Let's get that right. We have a civil partnership. What is wrong with Proposition 8 is that they went for marriage. Marriage is going to put a lot of people off, the word marriage," he said. John went on to say, "I don't want to be married. I'm very happy with a... http://www.stevelackner.com/

Bubba Dawg
11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow. What a common sense thing to say.

Zeus
11-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Wow. What a common sense thing to say.

There is that & Elton's Home of Record is Alanta, GA ( one of Them there British Tax expatriates) so his gay marriage wouldn't be legal or recognized anyway.

Bubba Dawg
11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
There is that & Elton's Home of Record is Alanta, GA ( one of Them there British Tax expatriates) so his gay marriage wouldn't be legal or recognized anyway.

Elton is a fellow Georgian?

Funny, I ain't seen him around. :D

Gingersnap
11-12-2008, 09:05 PM
This really is a common sense attitude. Nobody cares what two adults get up to in their private lives. Marriage by tradition and institution describes a socioeconomic/sexual relationship that has importance for society as a whole. The fact that some married people don't have sex, don't have joint checking accounts, and don't have children doesn't negate the societal function of marriage for the vast majority of the population.

We had a vote out here a few years back to establish domestic partnerships. I loved it and I voted for it. What made it so great was that it wasn't restricted to people in potentially sexual situations. It would have opened up some benefits of marriage to any two people who lived together and had a common financial life.

So, two siblings who lived together or two friends who lived together would be able to streamline decision-making, probate, and so on. It failed. :(

noonwitch
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I think Elton is making sense, too. A couple can call their relationship what they want between themselves and their family and friends. If they consider it a marriage, then for them it is one. If they can get some rights through a civil union....

My whole problem with the idea of civil unions is that I don't think it's fair for hetero couples to take advantage of it. They can get married legally, but there would still be some who would say they would prefer a civil union, and will claim that allowing gay people to have civil unions would be allowing them to have "special rights".