PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska parents abandoning teenagers under safe haven law

OwlMBA
11-14-2008, 01:44 AM
This may be the worst story ever. Who are these freaks.

L
INCOLN, Neb. The mother was running out of more than patience when she abandoned her 18-year-old daughter at a hospital over the weekend under Nebraska's safe-haven law. She was also running out of time: She knew that state lawmakers would soon meet in a special session to amend the ill-fated law so that it would apply to newborns only.

"Where am I going to get help if they change the law?" said the mother, who lives in Lincoln and asked to not be identified by name to protect her adopted child.

To the state's surprise and embarrassment, more than half of the 33 children legally abandoned under the safe-haven law since it took effect in mid-July have been teenagers.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081113/capt.33fdafcda9f240c88aeec0b9d111ecd0.safe_haven_n enh103.jpg?x=213&y=166&xc=1&yc=1&wc=410&hc=320&q=100&sig=VfQUPT1KUBhz1_E2WFmYuw--

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/ap_on_re_us/safe_haven

Gingersnap
11-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, nobody ever accused me of being overly sympathetic but I'd guess that these freaks are simply at the end of their rope.

Parents can't use the kind of traditional intimidation tactics now that served to keep kids in line. They can't hit, of course, but they also get into trouble for using tough love techniques if the kid complains about at school. They can't throw the kid out of the house without being charged now. Social services have a hard time dealing with older teens - they're mobile, they can't be physically restrained in any way, they know how to work the system against adults.

I guess for some people this seems like the only way out until they can legally change the locks. :(

FlaGator
11-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, nobody ever accused me of being overly sympathetic but I'd guess that these freaks are simply at the end of their rope.

Parents can't use the kind of traditional intimidation tactics now that served to keep kids in line. They can't hit, of course, but they also get into trouble for using tough love techniques if the kid complains about at school. They can't throw the kid out of the house without being charged now. Social services have a hard time dealing with older teens - they're mobile, they can't be physically restrained in any way, they know how to work the system against adults.

I guess for some people this seems like the only way out until they can legally change the locks. :(

It's a odd self perpetuating system. You can take the necessary steps to disipline your children so the children get a bit wilder. If you punish the child you may be arrested and that only reinforces to the child the bad behavior as being protected behavior.