PDA

View Full Version : Favorite breed of dog?

Shannon
11-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I know we've had this type of thread before. I was just hanging out with my baby girl though. Nothing beats a cocker for cuteness.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2pp10xy.jpg

This isn't actually Sandy Jean Girl but it's damn close.:D

Pitbull
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Cute! We just got two puppies. One is a Bernese Mountain Dog and the other is a German Shepard. It's a toss up for me. Can I say my favorite is the one that stops pooping on my carpet first? LOL! Just kidding, they are both loveable in their own way.

I just call myself pitbull as a personality indicator...not as a preference for the breed.

:)

SarasotaRepub
11-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Greyhounds for us but I still have hopes for a Great Dane. :D

Celtic Rose
11-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I have a German Shepherd and and Australian Shepherd. Both are wonderful dogs. We had a Golden Retriever until recently as well, and that was another wonderful dog. Do I have to choose? :p

Shannon
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I have a German Shepherd and and Australian Shepherd. Both are wonderful dogs. We had a Golden Retriever until recently as well, and that was another wonderful dog. Do I have to choose? :p

My parents have a German Shepard and a Golden Retriever. I hate one and love the other. Yes, you have to choose.;)

Goldwater
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Welsh Corgies are pretty cool.

Maybe Labs though if I had a dog.

Shannon
11-14-2008, 10:20 PM

Maybe Labs though if I had a dog.

Corgis suck. Labs can be great dogs.

megimoo
11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Greyhounds for us but I still have hopes for a Great Dane. :D
a Great Dane on the seat besides you in your new H1 ?

Gingersnap
11-14-2008, 11:07 PM
We've lived through Empires of dogs. Empire I was the gun dog Empire, mostly English Setters. You will never find a sweeter natured dog. Empire II was the Sheltie Empire. Smart enough to do your taxes but kind of twitchy.

Now that we accidentally got the Collie, Mr. Snaps is leaning toward the Collie Empire.

Jetpacks and party hats for all!

SaintLouieWoman
11-14-2008, 11:08 PM
a Great Dane on the seat besides you in your new H1 ?

A neighbor has a great dane pup. The dawg dragged her down the street. She's still in the cast with a broken leg.

I think greyhounds are very special and make greyt pets.

Celtic Rose
11-14-2008, 11:12 PM
A neighbor has a great dane pup. The dawg dragged her down the street. She's still in the cast with a broken leg.

When I was 15 I was walking our Golden Retriever and my brother had the bright idea of throwing a ball for her. She took off after the ball, I went flying, and ended up with a broken wrist :( I'm glad I'm not the only person to have been injured while walking a dog :p

patriot45
11-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Hands down, Yellow Lab! Just a big ole baby! Meet Atrain.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/atrain010.jpg

AlmostThere
11-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Corgis suck. Labs can be great dogs.
I have a Chocolate Lab who just turned 11. Love that dog. My wife has a Min Pin I've thought about putting a contract out on. If I could find a Pit Bull who wanted to make a few bones I'd be tempted. Amazing you can have such diverse opinions about 2 dogs in the same house.

Gingersnap
11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Amazing you can have such diverse opinions about 2 dogs in the same house.

Well, you see them up close and personal. I grew up with a variety of dogs: farm collies, Pitts, Dolbies, and a lot of gun dogs.

They all have their good points and their bad points. A lot of how you see that is expectation. A Min Pin isn't going to do the whole sit-stay-down thing very reliably but a Lab isn't going to be the Supreme Cuddle Meister of your wife, either. :D

AlmostThere
11-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I just can't stand that high pitched Yap-Yap-Yap bark of his. And leave him alone anywhere around a trash can and he has to inspect each and every item in the can. Knocks it over and spreads each and every piece of trash out on the floor so he can get a close look. Then doesn't have the courtesy to pick it all up. Just wanders off like nothings happened. Talk about rude!

DarkScribe
11-15-2008, 12:04 AM
My parents have a German Shepard and a Golden Retriever. I hate one and love the other. Yes, you have to choose.;)

They are my favorite. I love German Shepherds.

FlaGator
11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't let my Sheltie hear this... my favorite dog... a Chow. Best dog I ever partnered with was a Chow. That dog loved so much and would have killed or died trying to protect me or my ex-wife.

AmPat
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Irish Setter.

Phillygirl
11-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Golden Retriever, hands down. We used to breed ours when I was a kid. 3 litters of the best puppies imaginable. My dog (who was named Shannon, btw) was simply the best dog ever. I could never bring myself to replace her.

BadCat
11-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Golden Retriever, hands down. We used to breed ours when I was a kid. 3 litters of the best puppies imaginable. My dog (who was named Shannon, btw) was simply the best dog ever. I could never bring myself to replace her.

End of days. I have something in common with Philly.
I do like our whippet a lot, she's a real sweetheart.
My wife's show dogs (the Corgis) are pretty much a waste of fur.

And as to the dog in the OP, though I do like dogs, I hate Joker Spaniels. They're the only dog I would kick just for being.

RobJohnson
11-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Oh my!

The quietest neighbor I have is a greyhound, it likes to lay outside in the sun.

I really would like a chocolate lab.........but I am just not home enough.

Shannon, your dog is cute!

Space Gravy
11-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Assuming you don't over cook 'em they're all pretty good.

MrsSmith
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Every breed has good and bad points...the trick is to pick a dog breed that fits your house and family.
No tiny, breakable dogs with rough toddlers. No Italian Greyhounds in houses with breakables on all the surfaces. Labs and Shelties need room to run...or a lot of walking every day. Scotties are great for protective watchdogs, and they don't eat too much, but German Shepherds or Dobies LOOK much scarier. Look at your house and family, and then figure out which dog fits. :D

(Or you could do like we do...just let everyone pick a pet, or two, or more.) :(

zBoots
11-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I like mutt.

Obama being the exception.

Celtic Rose
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Assuming you don't over cook 'em they're all pretty good.

You are a bad, bad man :mad:

:p

Speedy
11-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Years ago my favorite breed was German Shepherds. Had a couple growing up. But now my favorite breed is the Border Collie. To me they are a perfect mix of loyalty, temperment, intelligence and agility. Patches our border collie is them most imtelligent and loving dog I have ever owned. But my favorite dog ever is Shorty my daschund. I never liked small dogs but there was an instant connect the first time we saw each other.

Hawkgirl
11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Had beagles as a little girl...loved them..so good natured...

But now, nothing beats a Siberian Husky..they are so playful and have such a great dispostion..my puppy doesn't leave my side...she is a sweatheart..

Meet Sasha....
http://i36.tinypic.com/2qu2lpx.jpg

Hawkgirl
11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Here is Sasha and Tiffany when they were introduced...Tiffany wanted no part of the new puppy....lol

http://i36.tinypic.com/o6xt8w.jpg

Jumpy
11-16-2008, 02:21 PM

Maybe Labs though if I had a dog. Pembroke Welsh Corgis, of course.

My Corgi, Buddwyn.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c42/cryforthenightbird/Krystalandmountains033.jpg

Nubs
11-16-2008, 03:24 PM
St. Bernard

Mine is 4 months old and 50 lbs.

Alaskan Husky

She is 12 years old and still acts like she's 2.

Great Pyrennes

Great dog. He lasted 11 years before his hind end went out.

linda22003
11-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Great Pyrennes

Great dog. He lasted 11 years before his hind end went out.

Not bad. I was just over 45 when it happened to me. :p

Speedy
11-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Here is Sasha and Tiffany when they were introduced...Tiffany wanted no part of the new puppy....lol

http://i36.tinypic.com/o6xt8w.jpg

We had a litter of German Shepherd pups and they had a habit of pestering my 20 pound yellow tabby tomcat, Beebo.

It would get hilarious. We had hardwood floors that my wife used to keep waxed and buffed to a slickness like silk. The sun would shine through one of the upstais hall windows down to a spot in the middle of the living room floor. Beebo had that piece of sunshine as his afternoon nap spot. Of course this would not do for the four GS pups we had. So they would approach Beebo, then they would bark and make mock charges at him. All this time Beebo would ignore them, the flicking back and forth of the the only clue that he was paying attention. Beebo would keep ignoring them and the pups would get braver and braver. Actually nipping him and running. Still Beebo would wait. And then when they least expected it, Beebo would pounce, grabbing one of the pups in a bearhug and driving him to his back then sit on him and flail at him with his front paws. This of course would terrify the pup, the other pups would get startled and try to get away and here is what was so funny. On the waxed hardwood floors they could not get any traction so they would be running in place. Beebo would use this as an opportunity to then pounce on another one.

There would be so much yipping and yelping and hissing and yowling and carrying on. Once the other pups who did not get their asses kicked got traction and started running, Beebo would take off after them. Lord help the pup who lost it turning a corner on the slick floor.

After handing out the ass whoopings, Beebo would strut back to his nap spot and conk out, pleased with his work. He would get to nap quietly for a day or two then the pups would start up again.

Beebo never bared his claws when he flailed away at the puppies. He just slapped them around with his paws. As far as the pups were concerned, he was slicing them to ribbons, at least that is what it sounded like.

Living in La
11-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Years ago my favorite breed was German Shepherds. Had a couple growing up. But now my favorite breed is the Border Collie. To me they are a perfect mix of loyalty, temperment, intelligence and agility. Patches our border collie is them most imtelligent and loving dog I have ever owned. But my favorite dog ever is Shorty my daschund. I never liked small dogs but there was an instant connect the first time we saw each other.

My godmother gave my mom a daschund when I was only three months old. Blackie and I grew up together and by the time I was a teenager, I thought he would live forever. He finally passed away when I was 17 and I still miss that dog.

Hawkgirl
11-16-2008, 05:51 PM
We had a litter of German Shepherd pups and they had a habit of pestering my 20 pound yellow tabby tomcat, Beebo.

There would be so much yipping and yelping and hissing and yowling and carrying on. Once the other pups who did not get their asses kicked got traction and started running, Beebo would take off after them. Lord help the pup who lost it turning a corner on the slick floor.

After handing out the ass whoopings, Beebo would strut back to his nap spot and conk out, pleased with his work. He would get to nap quietly for a day or two then the pups would start up again.

Beebo never bared his claws when he flailed away at the puppies. He just slapped them around with his paws. As far as the pups were concerned, he was slicing them to ribbons, at least that is what it sounded like.

The puppy is afraid of the cats...She really wants to just play but the 2 kitties aren't about to let a newcomer dictate what goes on in the house. My big girl is the sweetest cat I've seen, but she's like Jeckyl and Hyde with the puppy...She has sharp claws and is not afraid to use them...After she swats at Sasha, Sasha cries and hides behind my legs...I have to scream at the cat because she can take out an eye with those claws and I keep them short.

It's really funny watching the 3 of them figure out who the Alpha is...So far, the big cat is the Alpha. My other cat doesn't really bother..she just runs away from the puppy and jumps up on tables. Sasha can't figure out how high the cats can jump. She is still afraid to go down the stairs..lol

Animals are so funny to watch and at first I was afraid for the cats...but now I see they rule. Sasha will be a big girl though and Huskies do have predator/prey drive. But hopefully she is young enough to learn the cats are not prey. We shall see.

biccat
11-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Speedy, that's a great story.

Never really had a dog growing up, but my wife is a fan of the ankle biters, shih tzu's in particular. Horrible smelly little things IMO.

We have been discussing getting a puppy, possibly a Shiba Inu as featured in the Puppy Cam (although we were looking at them before the puppy cam).

Rebel Yell
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii59/Cane_Nation/Picture001.jpg

My girl (Boxer Pit mix), and my wife's two (Chihuahua and the Dachshund).

Mine, Kiya, is the sweetest dog. Sunny (the Dachshund) is extremely hard headed and could care less if you ever pet him. Rebel (Chihuahua) can't be held enugh and gets jelous if I even hug my wife, she belongs to him.

My wife always wanted a Dachshund, so I got her Sunny 4 years ago for Christmas. She says she loves him, but will never have another Dachshund. She always hated Chihuahuas until she got Rebel, now she says she'd like to have a house full of Chihuahuas. She didn't want me to get Kiya, but now she loves to snuggle with the "nanny dog".

As far as my favorites, I like Dobies for large breeds. I still miss my Jack Russell, those are the best small breed dog there is.

Speedy
11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
My godmother gave my mom a daschund when I was only three months old. Blackie and I grew up together and by the time I was a teenager, I thought he would live forever. He finally passed away when I was 17 and I still miss that dog.

Daschunds are fearless. They were bred to go down into badger holes and fight those surly badasses in THEIR house. They were also used to hunt boar. Hell you can take them to Africa to hunt Big Cats, they don't give a fuck! They have a "It's a good day to die" attitude.

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I know we've had this type of thread before. I was just hanging out with my baby girl though. Nothing beats a cocker for cuteness.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2pp10xy.jpg

This isn't actually Sandy Jean Girl but it's damn close.:Dor for pissing on your floors.:mad:

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 01:12 PM
i'm torn between a Basset hound and an english bulldog. Both are terrible cute in a quirky kinda way and both tend to be dumb as rocks. :D

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Daschunds are fearless. They were bred to go down into badger holes and fight those surly badasses in THEIR house. They were also used to hunt boar. Hell you can take them to Africa to hunt Big Cats, they don't give a fuck! They have a "It's a good day to die" attitude.My grandmother has always had benchleg dachshunds. Fiercely loyal and unwavering defenders. You could not TOUCH my grandmother without the dog getting into the mix.

Rebel Yell
11-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Daschunds are fearless. They were bred to go down into badger holes and fight those surly badasses in THEIR house. They were also used to hunt boar. Hell you can take them to Africa to hunt Big Cats, they don't give a fuck! They have a "It's a good day to die" attitude.

And they are the hard headedest little shits you'll ever run across.

Speedy
11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
And they are the hard headedets littel shits you'll ever run across.

I learned that with Shorty. The only way to get him to do anything is to make him think it was his idea. The last reason he is going to do anything is because you asked him to.

Rebel Yell
11-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I learned that with Shorty. The only way to get him to do anything is to make him think it was his idea. The last reason he is going to do anything is because you asked him to.

Sunny would get out of the house and want to play chase. He'd let you get right up to him then he'd haul ass about 25 yards. We'd do this for about an hour, then I'd just leave his ass out there. He'd get bored and come in. Then my wife got the idea to give him a piece of cheese every time he came in the house. Now the little bastard will run out the back door, make a circle around the back yard, and run back in the back door straight to the fridge.

M21
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Small terriers. We have Cairn Terriers, but If it were just left to me I'd have a Norwich or a Norfolk Terrier.

http://norwichterrierpuppiesblog.com/files/norwich1.jpg

Speedy
11-18-2008, 01:38 PM
We also have a border collie, Patches. Patches will never take any food off of a plate or off the counter even if you tell him it is okay. When he wants something that is on a plate or on the counter he will whine and point to it maybe even tap it with his snout but never take it. Not Shorty. If that little bastard wants it and can reach it, he will take it. He does not give a fuck.

They spend all day in the backyard and get let in a couple of times a day to eat or just to nap inside. Patches comes in when you let him. Shorty will yelp sometimes and if you do not let him in, he will back up to the door and kick it with his back foot. He has gotten to where he does this and gets very loud thumps and will just keep kicking the door until you let him in.

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Small terriers. We have Cairn Terriers, but If it were just left to me I'd have a Norwich or a Norfolk Terrier.

http://norwichterrierpuppiesblog.com/files/norwich1.jpgmeh. I used to feed terriers to my cat.

M21
11-18-2008, 02:01 PM
meh. I used to feed terriers to my cat.
Never trust a man with cats.

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Never trust a man with cats.cats? I have never had more than one at a time. :p

noonwitch
11-18-2008, 03:37 PM
My dog is technically a mutt from the Humane Society, but the vet thinks she's a norwegian elkhound. She's a really good dog-she loves kids and old people, is protective of anyone in a wheelchair or on crutches, and she has a sweet disposition. She doesn't like many other dogs, though, she likes my brother's dog and my mom's yorkie (sometimes).

She can be really stubborn when I want her to come in and she wants to stay in the yard. Sometimes, even bologna won't get her in.

I would recommend the breed to anyone with kids who don't have dog allergies. She sheds a lot.

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I HATE sheddy dogs.

Rebel Yell
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I HATE sheddy dogs.

Do you have a hairless cat?

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Do you have a hairless cat?only when the wife shaves. :cool:

Right now - I don't have any pets unless you count kids.

Rebel Yell
11-18-2008, 04:37 PM
only when the wife shaves. :cool:

Right now - I don't have any pets unless you count kids.

Aaaah, the nastiest of them all.:p

Constitutionally Speaking
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Labrador Retrievers/Golden Retrievers and flat coated retrievers.