PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Songs....

Bubba Dawg
11-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Cool moving toward cold on the mountain. Rain and fog. Winter is coming.

I love music. I listen at work and at home, and in the car. Music adds so much to life.

My first records were on vinyl. 45 rpm singles. 33 1/3 rpm albums. The cover art of the albums was amazing.

Now things are on CD and MP3 or Ipod. It is truly amazing how the recording and playback of music has changed.

But don't forget the live performance. The artists on stage making the music then and there and how cool that is. How special.

I saw Ray Charles. I saw Itzhak Perlman. The band America. Three Dog Night. The Georgisa Satellites. Conway Twitty. Alabama. Many many symphony orchestras.

I've been in beer joints where there was a guy with a guitar playing and singing. I've been in a concert hall with ten thousand people to watch a broadwaystyle musical.

It isn't the size of the audience, or the fame of the performer. It's the integrity of the music. There's something real there, and profound.

TOTD: Music. Bands or performers you've seen and love. Whether it is live or recorded, what music moves you? What bands or performers are special to you? What is a special song or songs for you? What is your favorite album?

I'm working Saturday, but I'll kick in as soon as I can.

Music. Only a few things are better.

Cold Warrior
11-15-2008, 07:58 AM
Cool and gloomy here in the Megalopolis. The girlfriend's in NYC for her class this weekend so, for me, it will be a lazy couple of days in prelude to going to Cincinnati this Monday. Planning on watching a lot of soccer, a couple of "guy" movies, including Iron Man, spending a bit of time in the local, and, of course listening to lots of rock n' roll.

TOTD: Like you, I've been to a lot of concerts. I've seen Dylan and Baez, Elton John, Springsteen and the E Street Band (Clarence can play that horn, man), Yes, of course, many times, Jimmy Buffet, and many others. But I think my favorite concert was sitting on the lawn at the Wolf Trap (http://www.wolftrap.org/) on a mild autumn evening, sipping a nice Montrachet, snacking out of our picnic basket, and listening to the Moody Blues...

Why do we never get an answer
When we're knocking at the door
With a thousand million questions
About hate and death and war?
'Cos when we stop and look around us,
There is nothing that we need,
In a world of persecution
That is burning in its greed.

Why do we never get an answer
When we're knocking at the door
Because the truth is hard to swallow
That's what the war of love is for

It's not the way that you say it
When you do those things to me
It's more the way that you mean it
When you tell me what will be

Music. Only a few things are better.

As I said in another thread, there are three important things in life -- good scotch, beautiful women, and rock n' roll. Everything else is a game. :D

BadCat
11-15-2008, 09:40 AM
"Question" by the Moody Blues - interesting song, done in Open C tuning resulting in very simple chord shapes. When I saw them last summer I think the tune I liked best at that show was "Higher and Higher".

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth
With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
Man with his flaming pyre
Has conquered the wayward breezes
Climbing to tranquility
Far above the cloud
Conceiving the heavens
Clear of misty shroud
Higher and higher
Now we've learned to play with fire
Go higher and higher and higher
Vast vision must improve our sight
Perhaps at last we'll see and end
To our homes endless blight
And the beginning of the free
Climb to tranquility
Finding its real worth
Conceiving the heavens
Florishing on earth
Higher and higher
Now we've learned to play with fire
Go higher and higher and higher

It's a shame they don't do "And The Tide Rushes In" in concert anymore.

DarkScribe
11-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Kinda overcast and gloomy this morning down here in "Flawdah" as a cold front passed through today and tonight.

TOTD: Cool topic, BD. I haven't been to a TON of shows, but the standouts for me are the following: U2 (during the Joshua Tree tour) and Monsters of Rock tour featuring Van Hager, Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken, etc. (cheesy rock, some of it, but fun), REM, The Smithereens and Tom Petty (the Damn Yankees opened up for TP and we're awesome!) I also saw Sting twice and he was phenomenal (and Concrete Blonde opened for the first Sting concert and kicked major ass).

Oh...and I've seen Jimmy Buffett a number of times and always enjoyed his stuff (but I was raised by a Parrothead long before that term became popular, so there ya go...)

As far as musicians/groups/singers, etc, that inspire me...I like a little bit of everything...from the Stones to the Doors, Led Zep to Crue and Poison to REM, U2, and Duran Duran. Oh yeah..and then there's Rob Zombie!:cool:

FlaGator
11-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Cold front moving in. Tomorrow it will be near freezing.

I have so many songs that move me but one that has been consistant through my whole life is 'Ten Years Gone' by Led Zeppelin

Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Blind stars of fortune, each have several rays
On the wings of maybe, down in birds of prey
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to grow
But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go

Changes fill my time, baby, that's alright with me
In the midst I think of you, and how it used to be

Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad
[ Find more Lyrics at www.mp3lyrics.org/4KLY ]
Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had
Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good
'Cause it was just the first time, And you knew you would

Through the eyes an' I sparkle, Senses growing keen
Taste your love along the way, See your feathers preen
Kind of makes makes me feel sometimes, Didn't have to grow
We are eagles of one nest, The nest is in our soul

Vixen in my dreams, with great surprise to me
Never thought I'd see your face the way it used to be
Oh darlin', oh darlin'

I'm never gonna leave you. I never gonna leave
Holdin' on, ten years gone
Ten years gone, holdin' on, ten years gone

lurkalot
11-15-2008, 11:16 AM
My life has a soundtrack..which is probably better than a laugh track..:cool:

Gingersnap
11-15-2008, 11:45 AM
It's really cold here but clear so it should warm up eventually.

TOTD: I don't have a soundtrack to my life the way a lot of people do. I like some types of music but I just don't have a need to hear it all the time. I've listened to different kinds of music at different stages in my life and when that particular stage is over, I'm not particularly attracted to the music anymore.

I listen to a lot of classical music, particularly when I'm driving. Driving is very boring for me so the Mozart keeps me engaged. I listen to the most godawful cheesy New Age music at work. I mean this stuff is bad: zen flutes with bird sounds and dripping water in the background. This somehow relaxes me and results in fewer personnel actions of a negative nature. I listen to delta blues, prison blues, roots, and old time music in the summer and regular bluegrass in the winter. I like alt.country. I like Sarah Brightman.

I just don't listen to that all day or even every day. ;)

lurkalot
11-15-2008, 11:52 AM
oh dear, this is what my little mind has pulled me towards listening to this morning :eek:
not going to be a particularly good day I don't think ,since it appears I am now living with a law enforcement officer :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TcLIVxa08&feature=related

DarkScribe
11-15-2008, 12:42 PM
oh dear, this is what my little mind has pulled me towards listening to this morning :eek:
not going to be a particularly good day I don't think ,since it appears I am now living with a law enforcement officer :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TcLIVxa08&feature=related

That what you call being incarcerated, Lurk? :D

lurkalot
11-15-2008, 12:45 PM
That what you call being incarcerated, Lurk? :D

lesson for the day: do NOT call a 6'3 220 lb officer a "sissy" :eek:

patriot45
11-15-2008, 01:26 PM
The day started overcast and looked like rain but we got in 18 holes anyway!

TOTD: I have seen alot of bands, some I have seen when they were just starting out in clubs on Long Island.
Bands like Soft White Underbelly(Blue Oyster Cult) Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, Nektar,Allman Bros and Pure prairie league were all great live, but my 2 favorite concerts were here in Florida. I saw Phish and then The Blues Travelers at the Sun Dome.

Once a month at the Hard Rock Resort in Universal they have a gig called the Velvet Sessions in thier Velvet bar. So far I have gone to 2, The Tubes and Foriegner. The only bitch is its on the last thursday of each month and since it is a big cocktail party I need to take friday off and stay over in Orlando!

Music is a mood. I can listen to anything but gangster rap!

Cold Warrior
11-15-2008, 01:52 PM
"Question" by the Moody Blues - interesting song, done in Open C tuning resulting in very simple chord shapes. When I saw them last summer I think the tune I liked best at that show was "Higher and Higher".

It's a shame they don't do "And The Tide Rushes In" in concert anymore.

Interesting. I know nothing about the actual making of music, so I'm always fascinated by people who do. What strikes me most about "Question" is the contrast between the rythmic, pounding beat of the opening and the soft pause of the lyrics...

It's not the way that you say it
When you do those things to me
It's more the way that you mean it
When you tell me what will be

I apologize for only being able to express this in laymen's terms, but that's the impact on me. I also think this is their best album!

Troll
11-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I guess what music moves me depends on what kind of mood I'm in. It's a pretty safe bet that any 3 minute rockish-sounding thing with a catchy chorus from the last 15 years will get me to sing along. AFI, Taking Back Sunday, Blink 182, Sublime, Green Day, Weezer, Nirvana - all fairly safe bets.

When I want hip-hop (doesn't happen much anymore), Nas, Jay-Z, B.I.G., OutKast.

I haven't seen many concerts. Not including indie bands, I've seen Green Day, Jimmy Eat World, Live, Collective Soul, Bush, Blues Traveler and Blink 182. I need to get out more. :(

RobJohnson
11-15-2008, 02:14 PM
You were able to get BadCat to particpiate in the "Topic of the Day" :D

End times are here!

TOTD: Most of the time, I really don't care for music. But in the last six months or so have been listening to more and more. Some of this has to do with a co-worker that has about 1200 of the best songs in the world on an Ipod.That makes the weekends go by quicker while stuck behind the the keypadded office door.

I heard two Heart songs on the radio this morning already in the thirty five minutes I have been out of bed! I seen them a couple times in concert and even remember throwing up in the restroom at Carver Hawkeye Arena during the song "Baracuda"...I had the flu, not from booze...one of my friends said "I always hated that song"....both he and his sister passed away very early in life, health stuff....Tammy had a fatal asthma attack while at the zoo with her children, she was only 32....Ken came down with a long term illness when he was 40 and only held on for a couple years after that.

The first concernt I went to with both Kennny and Tammy was Triumph in the late 80's, I loved the laser light show, and I often now tear up when hearing any Triumph song...RIP to both of them and continued prayers for their families.

"Fight the Good Fight"....sort of sums up what we all are doing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QI_lQjf1eo

Cold Warrior
11-15-2008, 02:17 PM
You were able to get BadCat to particpiate in the "Topic of the Day" :D

End times are here!

It's because of the Moody Blues, best band ever. Better than the Beatles, better than the Stones, better than the Doors, better even...even than the Coral Reefer Band! :eek:

Cold Warrior
11-15-2008, 02:29 PM
... Planning on watching a lot of soccer, a couple of "guy" movies, including Iron Man, spending a bit of time in the local, and, of course listening to lots of rock n' roll.
.. :D

God, whoever's playing Pepper Potts has got a great derriere!!! :D Those of us who read the very first Iron Man when it came out in the 60s are very appreciative.

RobJohnson
11-15-2008, 02:47 PM
God, whoever's playing Pepper Potts has got a great derriere!!! :D .

:eek: :D

Zeus
11-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Hey It Is Saturday :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnGfTaaKXE

Bubba Dawg
11-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Great Answers guys. I just got in from work. Miz Bubba is cooking something that smells wonderful. I'm drinking red wine.

It is WINDY outside. 30 to 40 mph gusts according to the local forcast. I believe it.

I love live music. Moody Blues. Never seen 'em live but I love their music.

I may start the Jukebox with them. :D

Cold Warrior
11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Great Answers guys. I just got in from work. Miz Bubba is cooking something that smells wonderful. I'm drinking red wine.

It is WINDY outside. 30 to 40 mph gusts according to the local forcast. I believe it.

I love live music. Moody Blues. Never seen 'em live but I love their music.

I may start the Jukebox with them. :D

You need to see them, my man. Great performance. Great music. Great band.