PDA

View Full Version : It Has Begun: The Madness Season.

Gingersnap
11-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I was informed this morning that tomorrow we would hang our Christmas lights. This declaration was delivered in that same cheerful yet dictatorial tone that always seems to accompany every disaster in my adult life.

"Yeah, sure it's totaled."

"Well, now there's your problem right there. Ittby bitty thing to cost that much, ain't she?"

"It's just going have to come out, Ginger."

"You see, Ma'am, now it's a felony."

Last year, Mr. Snaps was prevented from displaying his exterior lighting dominance by a series of persistent storms that started the day after Thanksgiving and kept up until Christmas. As a result, he was unable to have the usual festive confabs with the neighbor guys about voltage and LEDs versus whatever. This put him in a nasty mood.

To forestall any such mishaps this year, we will do them tomorrow. I recently spent the better part of an hour wiring a huge freaking wreath with "satin" lights and a pair of giant, light-up bells. :eek:

When do you normally put Christmas lights up (if you do)? When do you turn them on? When do you take down? Do you think drinking early in the day will help? Have you ever gotten divorced over exterior lighting? Explain.

JB
11-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Good for you. I think they should go up the day after Halloween.

Just for the head 'sploding factor.

bijou
11-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Good to get an early start. Christmas just doesn't come early enough. :D

http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/images/redneck_christmas_lawn_deer.jpg

Sonnabend
11-15-2008, 06:53 PM
....you MEAN person...:mad::mad::mad:

:D

asdf2231
11-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Sympathies dear Ginger.

We are going to decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. The kids made me promise to put a "Big" light set on the house this year to make up for the crappy inadaquate Wreath that we hung up last year. :D

Tis the season.

Gingersnap
11-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Good to get an early start. Christmas just doesn't come early enough. :D

http://www.lilligren.com/Redneck/images/redneck_christmas_lawn_deer.jpg

I actually wanted to do something like this a couple of years ago but Mr. Killjoy nixed the idea. :mad:

Space Gravy
11-15-2008, 07:05 PM
I've driven by a house that had their up for a week already.

A bordering town also has all their stuff up on the light poles and in the trees already.

If we put it up too early we get sick of it.

Gingersnap
11-15-2008, 07:19 PM
I've driven by a house that had their up for a week already.

A bordering town also has all their stuff up on the light poles and in the trees already.

If we put it up too early we get sick of it.

You have now ascended to the top of my Most Evil CU Member List. I'll ring your bell, friend. :mad:

:p

Space Gravy
11-15-2008, 07:22 PM
You have now ascended to the top of my Most Evil CU Member List. I'll ring your bell, friend. :mad:

:p

Want a link to where I found 'em?

Gingersnap
11-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Want a link to where I found 'em?

No, but your GPS coordinates would be peachy.

Space Gravy
11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
No, but your GPS coordinates would be peachy.

You keep it up and Santa won't bring you anything!:p

Space Gravy
11-15-2008, 07:26 PM
I promise. I'll take it down no later than mid-February.

Gingersnap
11-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Santa doesn't need to bring me anything. Wal-Mart already had a sale on ammo. :)

Bubba Dawg
11-16-2008, 11:06 AM

Santa went by Ginger's house last year and not only were there no Christmas lights, but one of the elves spotted a sniper on the roof. :eek:

BadCat
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
This isn't a "day" thread is it?

We do the traditional luminarias, with real candles.

I live on a cul-de-sac, and everyone does them. Looks pretty good.

But, because we go though about 120 tea candles a night, we put them up about a week before Christmas.

lacarnut
11-16-2008, 12:05 PM
This isn't a "day" thread is it?

Does not sound like it; who is the slacker? It's 11:05

Space Gravy
11-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I was informed this morning that tomorrow we would hang our Christmas lights. This declaration was delivered in that same cheerful yet dictatorial tone that always seems to accompany every disaster in my adult life.

"Yeah, sure it's totaled."

"Well, now there's your problem right there. Ittby bitty thing to cost that much, ain't she?"

"It's just going have to come out, Ginger."

"You see, Ma'am, now it's a felony."

Last year, Mr. Snaps was prevented from displaying his exterior lighting dominance by a series of persistent storms that started the day after Thanksgiving and kept up until Christmas. As a result, he was unable to have the usual festive confabs with the neighbor guys about voltage and LEDs versus whatever. This put him in a nasty mood.

To forestall any such mishaps this year, we will do them tomorrow. I recently spent the better part of an hour wiring a huge freaking wreath with "satin" lights and a pair of giant, light-up bells. :eek:

When do you normally put Christmas lights up (if you do)? When do you turn them on? When do you take down? Do you think drinking early in the day will help? Have you ever gotten divorced over exterior lighting? Explain.

So.........how did you all make out?:D

noonwitch
11-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Some of my neighbors put their lights up already, and are turning them on nightly. We got a couple inches of snow yesterday, so it looks seasonal.

I don't do the outdoor lights. I just put up my fake tree every year, and I don't do that until the first week in December. I take it down either on New Year's day or the weekend after.

biccat
11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
I put up wreaths and lights on the house already. Five f'in strings, and it's barely enough to go around the front porch. Going to have to reevaluate our lighting needs for next year.

Lights aren't on yet, it's way too early for that. But I wanted to get stuff up before the temperature drops below freezing, and we're going to be busy the next couple of weeks.

Probably won't do it so early next year, since we know how long it takes to decorate the house now.

linda22003
11-17-2008, 09:49 AM
We just do the big bushes outside in front of the house. I'd love to outline the roof in lights, but my husband's position is that a Jewish guy shouldn't have to risk his life for Christmas lights. It's hard to argue with that; it's a reasonable position.

Gingersnap
11-17-2008, 09:51 AM
We survived the Great Lighting Deployment with no medical emergencies this year. The silly wreath that I wired up actually looks pretty cool.

We tested the lights last night and they do make for an effective display. Now they will stay off until December when we will also mount the fake, automated light-up animals. :D