PDA

View Full Version : Barely Fuctional Monday.

asdf2231
11-17-2008, 08:01 AM
2nd cup of coffee hasn't quite jump started the motor here yet.

In the 20's here with a high of 32 degrees expected.

My Mancub lost his first tooth last night in a sort of serio-comical fit of drama. :) The tooth fairy came through and he had a dollar under his pillow this morning. It was a quarter when I was a kid. Inflation and all.

TOTD

With the economy bungee jumping up and down we took somewhere between a 45 - 50,000$ shot in the shorts. Mutual funds and stocks. We are young enough that it isn't the end of the world.

In the day to day mechanics we haven't suffered a lot simply because the market doesn't effect the steady income here.

How has the economic roller coaster affected you, if at all?

linda22003
11-17-2008, 08:07 AM
TOTD

In the day to day mechanics we haven't suffered a lot simply because the market doesn't effect the steady income here.

Not yet, anyway.
We moved some money to a money market from stocks, so we haven't lost all that much. It won't make us any money, but it will at least be protected for the time being. We were just on the edge of our investments going over $1m before they started tanking. Oh, well. We don't have a long timeline (we're in our early fifties), but I'll inherit quite a bit when my father passes, and I am in no hurry for that.

We'll ride it out, whatever is coming. I've read quite a bit about the depression, but I never thought I would see anything like it in my lifetime. Now I'm not so sure about that.

biccat
11-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Still cool here, there was some frost on the ground this morning.

Leaving for San Fransicko tomorrow for work, it's supposed to be in the high 60's for the whole week. Should be nice :) Still debating whether I should buy a "Yes on 8" shirt before I leave.

TOTD: Not too much. The only thing it's doing is making me wish I had more money to invest. While I don't think we're quite at the bottom, I'm starting to slowly move back in with conservative buying habits. Fortunately, the wife and I both have good jobs.

Celtic Rose
11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I actually got up early this morning and worked out, I'm still a little amazed that I did that :o I have work to do today, but it shouldn't be too bad.

TOTD: So far, not too much of an effect. I started taking the bus 5 months ago to save on gas, and I discovered that I actually prefer it!. It only takes about 10 minutes more to get to work, and I don't have to fight traffic :p

I work in corporate immigration, so the economy could have a serious impact on my job. We've already had a layoff, so I should be okay for awhile, but every time I read about a company doing mass layoffs, or hiring freezes, I get concerned :( If all else fails, I'm qualified to do substitute teaching, or I'll just go for another field completely. I'm young enough to be flexible :)

Gingersnap
11-17-2008, 09:59 AM
We should have a couple of really great days in terms of weather out here. That's good since the War Against The Leaf People is still ongoing.

TOTD: It hasn't affected us much at all. We got out of real estate before the collapse, moved money out of the market before that collapse, and we've always lived within or below our means.

I don't think this is the New Great Depression or if it is, it's the usual whiny Boomer version. You know, just like how they were the first to discover sex, death, or yoga. It would be helpful if the media would calm down instead of running tips on how to balance the family budget by going through the horror getting waxed every other month. :eek:

RobJohnson
11-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Warm here, today's high is predicted to be 85.

TOTD: Of course there have been some hits on the investments, but most of the money was moved around before things hit the bottom. The good news is, I have cranked up the investing, as this could turn out to be a good thing!

Where I work, sales were up for the first September in four years....damn economy. :D October also showed strong growth. We continue to kick ass this month.

M21
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice weather here today. I'm nursing some bruises from a few hundred yard swim through a particularly shallow and technical rapid yesterday. Stupid move on my part and need to work on my offside roll. The water was pretty cold.

TOTD

How has the economic roller coaster affected you, if at all?

I've lost some money on paper but I'll get jazzed up when guys start jumping out of windows on wall street. We are pulling back from doing any further investing for awhile. I may just bury my spare cash in Mason jars in the back yard.

lurkalot
11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
:mad: what a day! got back to work after being gone a week
secretary out sick, department managers out sick, computer system network pffffffffffffffffttttttt...
then to top it off!
as most of you know, the little bug is a medical rarity, and so gets tested frequently basically to determine: 1. Why she lived when others don't. and 2. Since she lived, why isn't she physically and mentally like the other ones that lived? She has been going through this since she was born, so to her, its a fact of life. As she explains it: "I have to be tested because I am smarter than everybody else"
so this afternoon, after the day from hell at work, I had yet another review of her testing and observation results. At 8pm tonight, bedtime for her, I will be cracking open the traditional bottle of wine after conference.
She has the expressive vocabulary of an adult. In fact, in specific areas related to health care, she has the expressive vocabulary of a well educated adult. Apparently most five years olds don't know what a spygnomenometer is, can't identify it by correct name and cannot explain its purpose and use. :cool:
Because she is the way she is, she is BORED in school...and so they are going to start giving her assignments to learn and then teach a small group of classmates what she has learned. Which means HOMEWORK for mom to review :mad:
as for TOTD: I have a rabbit, a cat and a giant goldfish, if all goes to heck I have a weeks worth of groceries to figure it out! Seriously, in my line of work there is always going to be sick people, so I'm not seeing any changes...yet...

JB
11-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Which means HOMEWORK for mom to review :mad:Let me know when you need help with your 5 year olds homework.

Moon
11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
What the heck is TOTD? I feel like such a newb!!

JB
11-17-2008, 09:16 PM
What the heck is TOTD? I feel like such a newb!!To ThunderDome if you don't reply to the TOTD question.

Moon
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
To ThunderDome if you don't reply to the TOTD question.

Oh. That explains it.

JB
11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Oh. That explains it.topic of the day, dude.

Moon
11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
topic of the day, dude.

Even better.

JB
11-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Even better.I'm not messing with you on that one. It stands for Topic of the Day.

We have day thread starter openings now with CW being banned. Sunday is open. I think LP might have had a day too, not sure about that. See the day thread nazis if you want to take over.

M21
11-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Which means HOMEWORK for mom to review :mad:

Cross posting Comedy Gold. :D LINK (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=82854&postcount=1)

Moon
11-17-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm not messing with you on that one. It stands for Topic of the Day.

We have day thread starter openings now with CW being banned. Sunday is open. I think LP might have had a day too, not sure about that. See the day thread nazis if you want to take over.

Nazis scare me.

lurkalot
11-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Let me know when you need help with your 5 year olds homework.

hey thanks, will be much easier for someone in her own class like you to help her than me, I'm out of practice!

lurkalot
11-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Dear Lounge Nazi's:
May I suggest that the next person nominated for TOTD threads have spell check.
Signed:
Still trying to figure out if barely fuctional monday is dirty or not.

lurkalot
11-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Cross posting Comedy Gold. :D LINK (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showpost.php?p=82854&postcount=1)

OMG! :eek: the kid is NOT Leaving the house without a homework check!

asdf2231
11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Dear Lounge Nazi's:
Signed:
Still trying to figure out if barely fuctional monday is dirty or not.

Lets just use the root word then, shall we Lurk?

Fuc you very much. :)

(I was half asleep. Bite me.) :D:p

lurkalot
11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Lets just use the root word then, shall we Lurk?

Fuc you very much. :)

(I was half asleep. Bite me.) :D:p

Coffee..its your friend
:D

linda22003
11-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Dear Lounge Nazi's:

Dear Lurk:
May I suggest that you do not use an apostrophe for a simple plural. :)

lurkalot
11-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Dear Lurk:
May I suggest that you do not use an apostrophe for a simple plural. :)

well fuctional you too! :D