PDA

View Full Version : By Presidential decree

patriot45
11-18-2008, 12:45 PM
The obama is going to throw his wieght around and institute college football playoffs! Blashemy!

Obama’s college football playoff plan needs details
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star
Not to question the interviewing skills of “60 Minutes” reporter Steve Kroft, but a few follow-ups were needed after his final query to president-elect Barack Obama on Sunday’s show. For the second time in two weeks, Obama said he supported a college football playoff.

“I don’t know any serious fan of college football who has disagreed with me on this,” Obama said. “So I’m going to throw my weight around a little bit. I think it’s the right thing to do.”

It may be the right thing, although most major conference commissioners, including the Big 12’s Dan Beebe, have voiced opposition. And college football is currently negotiating a new television contract with the current Bowl Championship Series structure.

But if Obama wanted to do this news-conference style, here’s what should be answered.

•You suggested eight teams. Does that mean the top eight in the final BCS standings, or the six major conference champions plus two at-large teams? If it’s the former, how would you explain no opportunity for a national championship to fans of Miami, Maryland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh? All have a chance to win their conference but aren’t ranked high enough in the BCS to finish in the top eight.

And these are folks from states who were good to you on election day.

If it’s the latter, how would you tell ninth-ranked and undefeated Boise State there’s no room in the Obama bracket?

•Are the playoffs at bowl sites or home sites? If bowl sites, are they predetermined like the NCAA basketball tournament, and if that’s the case, would an Alabama-Penn State quarterfinal create the frenzied college atmosphere at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte?

If it’s home sites, would Utah’s fans — and students, and the families of the unpaid athletes — travel to Texas Tech and Florida on successive weekends or save their pennies for the chance of playing for the national title in New Orleans?

•How would you regulate scheduling? In today’s college football landscape, West Virginia, with its seven-game conference schedule and membership in an easier league, has an easier path to the national championship game than Texas.

College football is OK with these types of historical differences, but a playoff bracket puts a new emphasis on equal access. Three major conferences play a championship game, three don’t. All schools set their own nonleague schedules. Some conferences play seven league games, some eight or nine. Shouldn’t this all be equal, like the NFL?

•If college football is going to “trim down” the regular season as you suggested, will there be enough extra revenue from a playoff to make up for the home gates’ lost income that supports entire athletic programs?

•Can I be the Secretary of College Football Playoff? At least the senior adviser?