PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Judge Elizabeth Halverson permanently removed from bench

megimoo
11-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Judge Elizabeth Halverson permanently removed from bench

The Nevada Commission on Judicial Discipline issued an order today that permanently removes Judge Elizabeth Halverson from the bench.

Judge Halverson was suspended from the bench in July 2007. She lost a recent bid for re-election in the August primary election.

She faced a disciplinary hearing in August on charges of misconduct. After two weeks of hearings in August, the commission heard a dozen complaints, including that the judge was accused of sleeping on the bench and treating her staff like servants.

“Some judges are in office for an entire career and do not accumulate the type of dismal professional history that the record in this case establishes,” said the commission, in an order signed by its chairman Greg Ferraro.

The commission found her guilty on counts of sleeping during hearings, making improper contact with jurors; mistreating her staff, improperly hiring two bodyguards and making improper and misleading statements to the press.

The commission said there was sufficient evidence to show Halverson slept during portions of two criminal and one civil trial.

“What makes this series of three occasions more serious is that Judge Halverson fell asleep in front of juries who were already empanelled for trial under her supervision and she did so within months of taking office, not years after having presided over hundreds of trials,” said the commission.

And the 28-page decision said Halverson did not take any steps to cure the problem.

Halverson, elected in 2006, was cleared on eight counts.

The commission said a judge should never have contact with a jury, especially a deliberating jury except through limited exception. The first instance was not willful but a result of her inexperience. The second contact was willful.

“Eating or chatting with a deliberating jury and answering their law-related and case-related questions … is so fundamentally wrong that even a first-year law clerk should know better….” the commission said.

What makes this egregious is that the judge shifted the blame to attorneys “by making unethical contact with the media,” the decision said.

Halverson removed bailiff Johnnie Jordan Jr., and brought in two individuals who were unlicensed to serve as bodyguards. The commission found there was no reason for Halverson to hire two men when all the other judges in the district only had a bailiff.

The commission said, “She willfully and foolishly utilized the power of her office to actively undermine wholly valid and unburdensome security measures…”

Halverson mistreated her staff, berated them with foul language and required her bailiff to massage her feet, neck and shoulders.

In April 2007, Chief Judge Kathy Hardcastle called a meeting to talk about complaints being made by the staff of Halverson. There were three other judges present including Judge Stewart Bell. The commission found that Halverson went to the newspapers and made false statements about what happened in the session.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/nov/17/judge-elizabeth-halverson-permanently-removed-benc/

Speedy
11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Holy Crap! Even Jabba the Hutt would call this bitch a cow!

PoliCon
11-18-2008, 01:41 PM
HOLY COW! I mean that quite literally! Was she one of ours or one of theirs?

M21
11-18-2008, 01:46 PM
There is obviously something askew. Maybe they should meet to consider having her commited. She needs help.

Speedy
11-18-2008, 01:48 PM
There is no saving grace to this whale. She is fat, she is ugly, and she is nuts. I can just see her rearing up, hooves in the air and then galloping around when she got fired.

linda22003
11-19-2008, 08:33 AM
And her husband apparently tried to kill her. :eek:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/oct/01/edward-halverson-pleads-innocent-attempted-murder/

Speedy
11-19-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/oct/01/edward-halverson-pleads-innocent-attempted-murder/

Too bad he failed. He would have ate well for months.

linda22003
11-19-2008, 08:56 AM
He would have eaten well, had he been cannibalistic. As it is, he's a felon. Charming family.

lurkalot
11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I've been following her case, including the one aspect where her husband beat her over the head with a frying pan. Not exactly one of NV's shining moments the day she was elected. :o

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 10:22 AM
okay I've looked. Can anyone tells us which side has the pleasure of being ashamed of this woman? I can't find anything that says what party she was a member of.

Speedy
11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I've been following her case, including the one aspect where her husband beat her over the head with a frying pan. Not exactly one of NV's shining moments the day she was elected. :o

Look at our current Congress and President-elect. Not a shining day anywhere in our country.

megimoo
11-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Look at our current Congress and President-elect. Not a shining day anywhere in our country.
There are lots of judges like this one in America.If they are appointed they behave like they are kings and hold court instead of trials.If elected they have a political web that keeps they in office.They are there to stay unless they get caught and filmed in court using a 'penis pump' with hundreds of witnesses they can do just about anything they want.

Speedy
11-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Makes me long for judges like the County Judge where I grew up. He used to say, "There's legal and there's common sense. Sometimes they go together. Sometimes they don't. When they don't, I'll go with common sense."

Odysseus
11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Holy Crap! Even Jabba the Hutt would call this bitch a cow!

http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2008/08/12/0111_met_halverson02_t180.jpg? (http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2008/aug/12/6551/)

The horror.... :eek:

megimoo
11-19-2008, 01:02 PM
http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2008/08/12/0111_met_halverson02_t180.jpg? (http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2008/aug/12/6551/)

The horror.... :eek:She looks like a Saudi Princess who should wear a full niqab, that covers all but one eye.

linda22003
11-19-2008, 01:29 PM
okay I've looked. Can anyone tells us which side has the pleasure of being ashamed of this woman? I can't find anything that says what party she was a member of.

"Judgepedia" guesses at her being a Democrat because of labor union work she has done, but I found a pdf file called "Offices up for Election in Clark County, NV, 2008" which lists the judge positions as "Nonpartisan office". Perhaps Nevada is like Virginia, and does not have registration by party? Anyone know?

Speedy
11-19-2008, 01:35 PM
That garment she is wearing in the picture is not a mumu at all, but a boat cover she put on by mistake. She tried to return it but they did not accept it as she had stretched it all out of shape.

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
"Judgepedia" guesses at her being a Democrat because of labor union work she has done, but I found a pdf file called "Offices up for Election in Clark County, NV, 2008" which lists the judge positions as "Nonpartisan office". Perhaps Nevada is like Virginia, and does not have registration by party? Anyone know?
That's interesting. Then how did she lose the primary? :confused:

linda22003
11-19-2008, 01:53 PM

All I've seen is that she came in third in a field of three. However, there's a very entertaining blog about the legal field and the judiciary in Nevada, where she has her own section:

http://wildwildlaw.blogspot.com/search/label/Judge%20Halverson

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 02:08 PM
nevada did go blue . . . . and clark county is the home of Las Vegas . . . .

Odysseus
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
That garment she is wearing in the picture is not a mumu at all, but a boat cover she put on by mistake. She tried to return it but they did not accept it as she had stretched it all out of shape.
I didn't know that they made boat covers for aircraft carriers. :D

From the looks of her, she ate it. :D

Okay, everyone, it's time for our favorite game:

HOW FAT IS SHE?

linda22003
11-19-2008, 02:36 PM
425 lbs, according to a few of the articles. :eek:

RobJohnson
11-19-2008, 02:39 PM

Yeah, he came close to getting it done.

She is lucky to be alive.

In the master bedroom, officers found Judge Halverson sitting on the bed, bleeding profusely from the head with large gaping wounds, the police report said. Blood surrounded her and continued to flow from the severe head wounds, police said. Officers also noticed an odor of bleach in the air from efforts by Edward Halverson to clean the blood stains from the bedroom.

I hope they lock her POS husband up for a very long time.

Phillygirl
11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
More fat people discrimination.

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 02:50 PM
425 lbs, according to a few of the articles. :eek:and what? 3 feet tall?

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, he came close to getting it done.

She is lucky to be alive.

I hope they lock her POS husband up for a very long time.They need to lock her up too. A couple of weeks away from the buffet and I'll bet she'd be able to walk again - unless she started tripping over her belly fat