PDA

View Full Version : Iran: Sweden’s ‘Feminist’ Government Submits

Banacek
02-21-2017, 04:02 PM
From the Swedish government’s website: Sweden has the first feminist government in the world. This means that gender equality is central to the Government’s priorities — in decision-making and resource allocation. A feminist government ensures that a gender equality perspective is brought into policy-making on a broad front, both nationally and internationally. Women and men must have the same power to shape society and their own lives. This is a human right and a matter of democracy and justice. And then this happened.

The Swedish government has defended its decision to have its officials wear headscarves during a trip to Iran, saying that failing to do so would have broken the law. Trade Minister Ann Linde led a business team last week and faced criticism for wearing a headscarf, or hijab. A prominent Iranian women’s rights activist and Swedish politicians have criticised the decision. “It is ruinous to what is called a feminist foreign policy” said Liberal party chief Jan Bjorklund, who said Iran oppressed women through legislation. The Swedish government should have requested that female members of the delegation should not have been required to wear a headscarf, he said, and that if the request were not granted any trade agreements should have been signed in Sweden or a third country

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/445022/iran-swedens-feminist-government-submits

noonwitch
02-21-2017, 04:20 PM
That's an iffy thing. Most first ladies in the past covered their hair when visiting Muslim nations, with a regular scarf, out of respect for the customs of the people. I think Laura Bush was the first to not do so, but I'm not sure. I am sure that Michelle Obama did not cover her hair in those situations, and that Hillary did cover her hair when she was first lady and visited in the Muslim world-there are many photos of Hillary doing so. A hijab is a scarf worn in a very specific way, that usually also covers the neck, and it symbolizes a woman's commitment to Islam.

The Koran is not the only religious document that requires a woman to cover her head. The apostle Paul expected it of female Christians, and some orthodox churches still have that requirement during services. When I was new to Detroit, there were still a lot of elderly Greek people living in the city. The old ladies all wore scarves over their hair.