PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator shopping...

BadCat
11-18-2008, 07:17 PM
We've been looking to buy a new fridge. Ours works fine, but it's getting old and we figure it will conk out any time now.

Doesn't anybody make a decent fridge anymore?

A GE appliance is out of the question, due to their ownership of NBC and MSNBC, so I was looking at a Maytag.

Reviews included such gems as (numerous) "It CAUGHT ON FIRE"

Maytag, Amana, KitchenAide...all the same company.

The foreign ones, LG, Samsung, Electrolux...the online reviews are horrifying.

Anybody have a new fridge that works?

patriot45
11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I've had a Whirlpool for about 10 years now. When I bought it it was top of the line. Back then I paid 2,500.00 for it . Its a 36" side by side and except for the fact you cannot fit a 20 lb turkey in the freezer it has serviced us fine.
Look at the sub-zeros, If I had the bucks, that is what I would get next.

megimoo
11-18-2008, 08:08 PM
We've been looking to buy a new fridge. Ours works fine, but it's getting old and we figure it will conk out any time now.

A GE appliance is out of the question, due to their ownership of NBC and MSNBC, so I was looking at a Maytag.

The best in my estimation is a G.E. and I agree with your politics but being practical they are still the best.I read somewhere that they will be getting out of the home appliance business soon .

My wife advised me that she would like a more 'stylish refrigerator and me in a moment of weakness said OK.We purchased a Frigidair that lasted several years and conked out .

The Problem was the compressor and the first one was free on warranty .The second failed shortly after and replaced after a fight with them and finally prorated and cost me money.The next time we had a problem with it we junked it and went back to G.E. and never had another problem.

We recently moved into a new home and all new appliances and everything is G.E. because of the reliability issues.We gave our old G.E.(5 yrs old) To one of our daughters and she uses it without any problems.

This new one is chrome and with a bottom freezer.I wouldn't recommend a bottom freezer after our top freezers because it lacks the freezer space .

SaintLouieWoman
11-18-2008, 10:53 PM

I wouldn't get a Maytag. When our dishwasher went out (Sears), luckily the current issue at that time of Consumer Reports featured dishwashers. They said that Maytag had the worst record. We got a Bosch and have been very happy.

Had a Maytag range at my previous house. It was terrible, constantly going out. I finally stopped calling the repairman and ditched the thing.

Just got my new consumer report for 2009 out. If you want a top freezer, the GE Profile PTS22LHR was rated tops at between retail $1100-1300. Nest was the Frigidaire Gallery, then GE, then Frigidaire. Ikea is at the bottom of the list.

Bottom Freezers the GE Profile PFSF6PKWW was listed the highest. It retails for $22,50. Only a couple points lower was the Amana AFD253DE at about 1550, listed as the CR Best Buy. The LG was much lower on the list, Jenn-Air below that and THE MAYTAG was lower.Actually the Viking was rated lower than the Maytag, with the LG's and Fisher& Paykel the last.. Beware the Fisher and Paykel's---they were rated last in the dishwashers, too.

The Side by Sides:

Kenmore Elite 4896 rated best, then Samsung, then Viking, Jenn-Air, Whirlpool Gold, then Hotpoint, then kenmore, GE Monogram, then GE Cafe, Whirlpool, Samsung and Bosch pulling up the rear.

I'd write more, but have a difficult day today and all those numbers are starting to look blurry.

expat-pattaya
11-19-2008, 09:25 AM
We just bought a fridge. Yeah, ALL th eonline reviews for ALL brand names SUCKED. Scared me to death. I finally figured it must be that no one ever posts a review about a GOOD refridgerator. So dive in and pick one wih a good Consumers Reports rating.

We wanted the freezer below the fridge with the french doors. Looked at Home Depot and got an LG model. They said they would match any price and I found it for sale on the internet for about $500 lower - they matched it. I bought the extended warranty from them for $100 cause all companies give one year warranty now :confused:

ANyway, it is due to arrive today. I'll be glad to have a working fridge again. Warm scotch sucks :D

lacarnut
11-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I bought a Whirlpool 2 years ago and have had good luck with it so far. The ice maker makes bigger cubes than any of the other refrigs I have had.

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Don't buy a Maytag. We bought a new one about two years ago and it is not reliable and keeps breaking down.

BadCat
11-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Don't buy a Maytag. We bought a new one about two years ago and it is not reliable and keeps breaking down.

Breaking down is bad.
Catching on FIRE is worse.
There are at least 5 complaints at the Consumer Reports site about Maytag refrigerators catching on fire.

Bubba Dawg
11-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Breaking down is bad.
Catching on FIRE is worse.
There are at least 5 complaints at the Consumer Reports site about Maytag refrigerators catching on fire.

Catching fire is bad. Spoils the food without adequately cooking it.

Over at my Mom's old house they have an old old Hotpoint (I think) refrigerator that was made in about 1947. It was bought new by my Dad's father. It still works. The don't make them like that anymore.

The seals around the door are finally going bad. Everything else is okay though. I helped move it. It weighs a TON.

noonwitch
11-20-2008, 12:45 PM
I have an Estate, which is a Whirlpool brand. I like it, I've had it for a few years. Nothing fancy, just a basic fridge, on wheels (important for single people who need to clean underneath it).

Maytag is now owned by Whirlpool, as is Kenmore (Sears' brand). Whirlpool's a good Michigan-based company, so I am slightly biased. They do a lot of good in the communities of St. Joseph and Benton Harbor, the latter of which needs all the help they can get.

biccat
11-21-2008, 02:08 PM
We bought an Amana when we bought the house - french doors & freezer on bottom - and we've had no problems at all.

It does help that Whirlpool is a client and we got a good deal.

Also, I've heard GE is getting rid of their refrigeration line.