PDA

View Full Version : Eco terrorists Sea Shepherd start whining

Sonnabend
11-19-2008, 04:58 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24675552-23109,00.html

By Xavier La Canna in Auckland

AAP

November 19, 2008 04:06pm

A HARDLINE anti-whaling group has accused the Australian Government of bullying them, putting crew members' lives at risk. Head of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Paul Watson said that in recent weeks The Australian Government had ramped-up pressure on his group.Gee, why would that be....

Mr Watson said he was extensively questioned by officials when he arrived at Sydney Airport last week ."They held me for an hour and a half and asked me where I was going, what my business was, who I was going to meet with, what my appointments were, who I was going to talk to," Mr Watson said.Our country.Our laws. You want to come in, you will answer any and all questions, you will answer them truthfully or we will throw your ass OUT. Our country, our laws, our rules. We dont like or tolerate eco terrorists....and the Sea Shepherd has made a lot of enemies here.

"The Australian Government is taking a real passive-aggressive position with us," he said. Sea Shepherd activists annually confront Japanese whalers in the Southern Ocean, throwing stink bombs at the Japanese fleet and using nets to foul propellers.We have no issue with peaceful protest. You lot, however, get The Treatment

Last year Mr Watson claimed he was shot by Japanese Coast Guard officers and a bullet lodged in his Kevlar vest, a claim rejected by Japanese authorities.
Note to whoever did that...get a better scope. Aim higher next time.

Mr Watson said this year he wanted bullet-proof vests for all his crew, but customs officials and the Queensland Police stopped him from bringing the goods into Australia.Because importation of bullet proof vests is illegal under some circumstances, and as far as Customs is concerned, again, we decide what is allowed, and what is not.

Its called national sovereignty.

(Note to all, importation of certain goods is controlled, as it is with any nation. We just like giving these assholes a hard time. We Aussies trust this meets with your approval:D)

"They are actually putting my crew's lives in jeopardy by making that refusal," Mr Watson said.Then leave the whalers alone when they are in international waters.

"I don't see why the Australian Government would be against us protecting our crew from gunshots from the Japanese," he said.We are not responsible for your ass in committing acts of piracy.

You want to do this? You wear the consequences.

You are not an Australian citizen, hence we have no duty of care to you whatsoever.

He said it was suggested Customs officers could take the vests to his vessel when he left Australia but this was rejected.What part of NO dont you get?

But a spokeswoman for Australian Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus said seven of the vests were seized from Sea Shepherd earlier this year, and they would be handed back when the ship left.Take your shit and GTFO

"It is wrong for Mr Watson to claim he is being prevented from using them," she said."Mr Watson wasn't interviewed by Customs last week but would have been processed through normal immigration channels," she added.
Exactly.

In reply Mr Watson said that Customs had only one bullet-proof vest, not seven, as the other items taken by Customs were less-protective flak jackets and body armour.He said while those goods would be returned to his ship, he had been denied the ability to take through Australia new vests donated by police in America.Whoa. Hold it. American POLICE are supporting these whackjobs and issuing them vests and other gear???? WTF??? :eek:

Mr Watson also said the Australian Federal Police had recently begun investigating Sea Shepherd's activities in Perth. "They (Sea Shepherd staff) say they are under surveillance, they are being questioned. They (police) are showing up at things," he said.That's their job, jackass.

Meanwhile Mr Watson said he was hopeful of stopping the Japanese fleet killing even a single whale this season, although he would not reveal what tactics he was planning."I think there is a good possibility but I can't predict what is going to happen," he said.Mr Watson, lemme remind you of something. Assault of a foreign flag ship in international waters is a felony. Boarding a ship with hostile intent is piracy

You do know what the penalty is for piracy?

Sea Shepherd will leave for Antarctic waters on November 30 and should arrive mid-December.Go away and stay away.

FlaGator
11-19-2008, 06:41 AM
They have a show called Whale Wars here in the states that features this group. I watched it for the first time last week and the guy that captains the ship is nuts. He is credited with founding Greenpeace but was tossed out for his aggressive tactics. He had a couple of his people illegally board a Japanese vessel and when they Japanese refused to let them go, he accused them of kidnapping. This guy is a complete fanatic.

FeebMaster
11-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Between pirates and wackjob environmentalists, commercial shipping and whalers should really start considering arming their ships.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-19-2008, 07:33 AM
They have a show called Whale Wars here in the states that features this group. I watched it for the first time last week and the guy that captains the ship is nuts. He is credited with founding Greenpeace but was tossed out for his aggressive tactics. He had a couple of his people illegally board a Japanese vessel and when they Japanese refused to let them go, he accused them of kidnapping. This guy is a complete fanatic.

I saw the ads for this and just about blew my stack. We have a television network PROMOTING a terrorist organization and giving them a sympathetic showing.:mad:

I should not be surprised. :rolleyes:

expat-pattaya
11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, I guess I'm not going to be popular today.

FUCK THE WHALERS.

What the hell is wrong with you people? I am no greenie or tree hugger. I like driving my car and flying around the world. I like electricity. And I deal with the facts that some species go extinct due to land usage and their failure to be able to live in a varied environment.

But there is NO REASON to kill whales. There is nothing we get from them that can not be obtained synthetically. And we ARE pressuring the populations of some species. And they are an important part of the ecosystem of the oceans.

I would add to this any boat seen finning sharks should be sunk with no warning. Fucking animals.

Sorry, The JAP whalers suck. And if you can't see the difference between what these people are doing and pirates I feel sorry for your cognitive abilities.

FlaGator
11-19-2008, 09:31 AM

FUCK THE WHALERS.

What the hell is wrong with you people? I am no greenie or tree hugger. I like driving my car and flying around the world. I like electricity. And I deal with the facts that some species go extinct due to land usage and their failure to be able to live in a varied environment.

But there is NO REASON to kill whales. There is nothing we get from them that can not be obtained synthetically. And we ARE pressuring the populations of some species. And they are an important part of the ecosystem of the oceans.

I would add to this any boat seen finning sharks should be sunk with no warning. Fucking animals.

Sorry, The JAP whalers suck. And if you can't see the difference between what these people are doing and pirates I feel sorry for your cognitive abilities.

Hey, I'm all for saving the whales, but I don't think that eco-terrorism is the way. The governments of the world united and enacted the ban on whaling. Now if they were serious about this they should be the ones policing the seas and penalizing the Japanese for their snubbing their noses at the law.

As for for the Sea Shepherds, they are simply terrorists. Just because they are terrorist who support a cause you believe in doesn't make them any better than the islamic extremists who fly planes in to buildings or suicide bomb busy cafes. You can't pick and choose the type of terrorism you'll tolerate or endorse.

Odysseus
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
I saw the ads for this and just about blew my stack. We have a television network PROMOTING a terrorist organization and giving them a sympathetic showing.:mad:

I should not be surprised. :rolleyes:
I propose that we tell these clods that the Japanese are going whaling around Somalia and let the pirates deal with them.

FUCK THE WHALERS.
I'm not especially fond of whalers either, but so long as the practice is governed by international treaty and the various signatories refuse to enforce it, then the eco-terrorists are engaged in vigilante action. Privateers without letters of marque are pirates, regardless of who they attack. The principle is simple: You don't get to unilaterally shut down every activity that you dislike by force just because you think that you're in the right. If the act repels you enough, publicize it and lobby for change, but don't pick up a weapon and attack people who are not attacking you or endangering your life. This clown went halfway around the world in order to be as loud and public a nuisance as humanly possible, and he will ultimately cost the anti-whaling position more by eroding any morality in their position, just as the lone nuts who bomb abortion clinics give the NARAL crowd a means to attack the whole pro-life movement.

Sonnabend
11-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Ah...and the human loss of life is not your concern...and if this was done to a US flag ship with US citizens aboard you would be the first to start screaming

Save me the histrionics, will you?

There are laws governing conduct at sea.
There are laws governing internmaitonal waters.
Boarding a foreign flag ship without the permission of the captain in international waters with hostile intent is piracy.
The penalty for piracy on the high seas is to be hanged by the neck from the yardarm.

They are eco terrorists, they use violence, they go armed, they do more damage to the conservation effort than they do good.

More here (http://www.highnorth.no/library/movements/Sea_Shepherd/us-la-de.htm)

Gone underground
Rodney Coronado is one of the two American citizens who were responsible for the sinking of two whaling vessels in Iceland in 1986 and the serious damage done to the whaling station just outside Reykjavik. Sea Shepherd claimed responsibility for the attacks

Coronado has taken part in a number of Sea Shepherd’s violent activities.
Today, he has gone underground. A federal grand jury in Michigan has handed down a five-count indictment against him (July 16, 1993) for the use of unregistered explosives, extortion and threats to interfere in interstate commerce and interstate transportation, to commit arson, theft and destruction of government property, and for receiving stolen property. If convicted, he could face 50 years in prison.

The indictments stem from the February 29, 1992 fire-bombing of Michigan State University in East Lancing, which destroyed 32 years of research dedicated to protecting wild mink from pollution, and a decade of vitro research. Responsibility for the act was claimed by the Animal Liberation Front, an animal terrorist group which has claimed responsibility for more than 250 such attacks in the US, causing more than 57 million US dollar’s worth of damage since 1982.

And here (http://www.highnorth.no/library/movements/Sea_Shepherd/se-sh-re.htm)

Paul Watson admits that there are arms on board “Sea Shepherd”. “We confront dangerous people. As the captain, it is my responsibility to protect the lives of my crew ... Therefore, I have prepared myself for the possibility of defending my crew in a situation that could go never occur, but if it does I will use firearms to first intimidate and then to defend,” said Watson to the Los Angeles Free Weekly (April 24, 1992).

Watson: “Fire a couple in the stern right at the water line.Nobody’s there.”

..are you defending these people?

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I say catch the scum in international waters and end this problem.

asdf2231
11-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Maybe Japan needs to contract fleet security from Somalia. :)

Full-Auto
11-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Screw the Japanese whalers. If I were in charge our Navy would be sinking any ship caught whaling. But then this is likely one of the many reasons I'm not, and never will be, President of the United States. :D

Odysseus
11-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Screw the Japanese whalers. If I were in charge our Navy would be sinking any ship caught whaling. But then this is likely one of the many reasons I'm not, and never will be, President of the United States. :D

This is a case of "a plague on both their houses." Whaling sucks, but so does eco-terrorism.

expat-pattaya
11-19-2008, 05:54 PM
I knew I wasn't gonna be popular :D

Look, the whalers are scum. The shark finners are scum. I have no sympathy for them for loss of time or money if the Sea Shepards cost them any. I hope they drive them out of business.

Now, I admit I am unaware of them actually sinking any vessels. Or causing any loss of life. And my statement sink em on sight was an emotional outburst. I don't stand by that.

So if the Sea Shepards are actually engaged in violence and loss of human life they need to be arrested and stopped. In the meantime, I am not feeling sorry if they manage to slow down these bastards and make whaling unprofitable. The Japanese are thumbing their nose at the world on this issue and need to be stopped.

Cheers :)

M21
11-19-2008, 06:04 PM

FUCK THE WHALERS.

I completely agree and have about as much sympathy for Japanese whalers as I do for Canadians who are clubbing baby seals to death. :mad:

Constitutionally Speaking
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM

Look, the whalers are scum. The shark finners are scum. I have no sympathy for them for loss of time or money if the Sea Shepards cost them any. I hope they drive them out of business.

Now, I admit I am unaware of them actually sinking any vessels. Or causing any loss of life. And my statement sink em on sight was an emotional outburst. I don't stand by that.

So if the Sea Shepards are actually engaged in violence and loss of human life they need to be arrested and stopped. In the meantime, I am not feeling sorry if they manage to slow down these bastards and make whaling unprofitable. The Japanese are thumbing their nose at the world on this issue and need to be stopped.

I was not defending the whalers, although I do not hold any special dislike for them either. I was commenting on the FACT that the liberal media AGAIN is portraying downright EVIL people sympathetically.

These guys are full fledged terrorists.

Speedy
11-19-2008, 08:26 PM

I have no sympathy either if a Sea Shepherd boat gets sent to the bottom of the briny blue with all of it's crew onboard through the actions of a whaling ship captain defending his charges either.

I like to goat meat. Chivo or Cabrito it is called here in Texas. A processed goat can run pretty high if I bought it at a market. Instead I do what I have done for years and buy a live one and slaughter it myself. I slaughtered my first at the age of 10 or 11. Killing a goat is pretty gruesome and some would feel not very humane. I do this in my backyard.

There are people who feel that this is wrong and that they have a right to stop me. They may even feel fervently enough about their cause to come into my home to stop me. They would undoubtedly die as this is my house, my property and my fucking goat.

Come on to my property. Come into my house to save a fucking goat. There are consequences for doing so and before you take such and action, you should be aware of them. You cause does not give you a right to anything and on my property and to protect those in my charge, my rights trump yours.

The same should be done with Sea Shepherd. They have or should not have any special protections from the law because of the cause they serve. I have no love of Whalers, but I have even more contempt for those who would commit piracy behind the cover of a cause.

M21
11-19-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJGvBa3KS0

nacho
11-20-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm with you. It's clear that the Japanese are violating the spirit and probably the letter of the law (either that or they are the most incompetent "researchers" the world has ever known!) and tossing stink bombs at whalers is fine by me.

And Sonnabend, I love Australia but maybe if they enforced their laws Sea Shepherd wouldn't be there. Just like if the US had proper border policing there wouldn't be any Minutemen.

marinejcksn
11-20-2008, 01:59 AM
http://images.myphotoalbum.com/m/mu/mun/mund/mundo/mundopi2/albums/album02/Nuke_the_whales_001.sized.jpg

"Gotta Nuke Somethin'" :D

Sonnabend
11-20-2008, 02:56 AM
And Sonnabend, I love Australia but maybe if they enforced their laws Sea Shepherd wouldn't be there. Just like if the US had proper border policing there wouldn't be any Minutemen.

We have no grounds to deny them entry. They have committed no crimes in our territory so they are protected by our law. It sucks....but its fair.

expat-pattaya
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I
I like to goat meat. Chivo or Cabrito it is called here in Texas. A processed goat can run pretty high if I bought it at a market. Instead I do what I have done for years and buy a live one and slaughter it myself. I slaughtered my first at the age of 10 or 11. Killing a goat is pretty gruesome and some would feel not very humane. I do this in my backyard.

Last I checked goats were not endangered. Makes the comparison totally invalid.

Odysseus
11-20-2008, 12:11 PM

There are people who feel that this is wrong and that they have a right to stop me. They may even feel fervently enough about their cause to come into my home to stop me. They would undoubtedly die as this is my house, my property and my fucking goat.

I emphatically support your right to do what you will with your goat on your property, and I won't even ask about the lingerie and lipstick. :D

The media has decided that anyone who subverts the moral order, be it gay activists acting like an atheist gestapo, or animal rights nuts endangering themselves and others in international waters. I recently saw a brief story on one of the entertainment channels where Lindsay Lohan got hit with a bag of flour by some idiot who didn't like her fur coat. Now, it's not often that I take Lindsay Lohan's side in anything, but in this case, she was minding her own business when she was physically assaulted. The attacker seemed to walk away from the incident without any punishment, and Lohan wasn't actually hurt, so the whole thing was just another moment of celebrity gossip, in fact, they treated it like a prank. No harm, no foul, right? Wrong.

My mother, who is in her eighties, lives in NYC, and doesn't go out in the winter because the only coat that she has that's warm enough for the worst weather is a fur that she inherited decades ago, and she's afraid to be attacked. Thus, we have an elderly woman who is kept indoors by the threat of violence. What Lindsay Lohan shrugged off could be fatal for my mom. But, hey, it's all just high spirited pranks, right?

Speedy
11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Last I checked goats were not endangered. Makes the comparison totally invalid.

So if I was to slaughter an endagered goat, then Goat Shepherd or someother fucking group would have a right to come onto my property and cause destruction in order to stop me? Maybe, I would accept a lawfully deputized entity to do so, but not any fucking group with no police powers. They would be met with the business edge of my handiest firearm or the sharp edge of my katana.

My house! My property! I don't give a fuck what you think and I would have the same attitude aboard MY whaling boat and would take appropriately deadly measures to repel any and all unwanted boarders.

PoliCon
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
I have far more sympathy for the whalers than I do for ecoterrorists.

FlaGator
11-20-2008, 08:10 PM
I completely agree and have about as much sympathy for Japanese whalers as I do for Canadians who are clubbing baby seals to death. :mad:

Let's consult some wise men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTF-hdFUgno

M21
11-20-2008, 08:53 PM
So if I was to slaughter an endagered goat, then Goat Shepherd or someother fucking group would have a right to come onto my property and cause destruction in order to stop me? Maybe, I would accept a lawfully deputized entity to do so, but not any fucking group with no police powers. They would be met with the business edge of my handiest firearm or the sharp edge of my katana.

My house! My property! I don't give a fuck what you think and I would have the same attitude aboard MY whaling boat and would take appropriately deadly measures to repel any and all unwanted boarders.

International waters are not your, the Japanese or my yard . Do you see the difference? The whales aren't yours and they aren't the property of Japan either. In fact the Japanese whalers and fishermen often get chased out of other peoples waters (yards f you will). It happens all the time in Alaska.

They are raping the seas. :mad: Open your eyes. You need to learn about the Japanese fishing industry.

WARNING: This video is very graphic. Stop this freaking madness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOCOTbograY

Speedy
11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
International waters are not your, the Japanese or my yard . Do you see the difference? The whales aren't yours and they aren't the property of Japan either. In fact the Japanese whalers and fishermen often get chased out of other peoples waters (yards f you will). It happens all the time in Alaska.

They are raping the seas. :mad: Open your eyes. You need to learn about the Japanese fishing industry

I am well aware of the actions of the whalers. But this does not give Sea Shepherd the right to board anyone or to endanger any ship or her crew. And Sea Shepherd should not complain if measures are taken against them for boarding ships. If the Whalers were to board a Sea Shepherd vessel, then equal measures would be appropriate.

marinejcksn
11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Personally I hope to see the Japanese whalers start sinking some of these assholes' ships. I'm not in favor of whaling but for Christ's sake, they're just trying to earn a living and some bleeding heart jerk keeps ramming their boat?

PS. Those of you against the whalers would be singing a much different tune if these Greenpeace rejects were ramming boats fishing for crab or shrimping. Doesn't excuse the whaling, I know. But these idiots are going to get someone killed, over what? A whale? :rolleyes:

M21
11-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I am well aware of the actions of the whalers. But this does not give Sea Shepherd the right to board anyone or to endanger any ship or her crew. And Sea Shepherd should not complain if measures are taken against them for boarding ships. If the Whalers were to board a Sea Shepherd vessel, then equal measures would be appropriate.

It doesn't give the Sea Shepherd the right and none here said it did. They do have the right to do their damnedest to monkey wrench the Japanese whalers and make this an unprofitable venture for them. They risk their lives doing so. I hope the entire Japanese fleet sinks and they all die but that's just me.

What do you really believe in your heart the Japanese whaling fleet would be doing do in the Antarctic without men and women of the Sea Shepard filming them?

When you kill your goats do you beat their ass to death with a baseball bat like the Canadians do seals?

Speedy
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
When you kill your goats do you beat their ass to death with a baseball bat like the Canadians do seals?

Seriously, Dude. You do not want to know. My technique is quite more humane than the throat cutting, but it looks much worse.

M21
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
PS. Those of you against the whalers would be singing a much different tune if these Greenpeace rejects were ramming boats fishing for crab or shrimping. Doesn't excuse the whaling, I know. But these idiots are going to get someone killed, over what? A whale? :rolleyes:

For the record here my Grandfather was a Pacific Northwest Commercial Fisherman and started out crabbing. As a kid I used to nearly live my summer on his boats. The Japanese have illegal fishing and whaling perfected to an art form.

This will be like every whaling season; DNA from illegally taken whales will show up on the Japanese market and the Japanese government again will do nothing to police their own. It's a guarantee.

M21
11-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Seriously, Dude. You do not want to know. My technique is quite more humane than the throat cutting, but it looks much worse.I'll send you a box of 50 rounds. When you run out I'll send you more. They're not very expensive ya cheap bastard. :D

I've killed a goat or two back in the day and it can be done humanely. You know that.

marinejcksn
11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
For the record here my Grandfather was a Pacific Northwest Commercial Fisherman and started out crabbing. As a kid I used to nearly live my summer on his boats. The Japanese have illegal fishing and whaling perfected to an art form.

This will be like every whaling season; DNA from illegally taken whales will show up on the Japanese market and the Japanese government again will do nothing to police their own. It's a guarantee.

Here's where I'm not very informed on the subject and I'm trying to learn more and you bring up a very good point. So at this point is whaling outlawed in Japan or can they still do it under Japanese laws?

FlaGator
11-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Here's where I'm not very informed on the subject and I'm trying to learn more and you bring up a very good point. So at this point is whaling outlawed in Japan or can they still do it under Japanese laws?

Under international treaty whaling is allowed for research purposes. The Japanese claim the whaling ships are research vessels with the word 'RESEACH' painted in large letters on both sides of the ship. I don't know who they think they are fooling. I can paint the world 'Tank' on the side of my car but that doesn't make my car a tank.

Sonnabend
11-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Under international treaty whaling is allowed for research purposes.

Under international law a ship in international waters has sovereign power to decide who boards and who does not. The captain is the absolute master at sea.

His word is law. You can sugarcoat it all you like.

Bottom line.

The Sea Shepherd engages in eco terrorism and violence against foreign flag ships in international waters in violation of international maritime law.

Cold hard facts. They are terrorists and there is no excuse and no rationale that can change what they do is 1/ illegal and 2/ directly a threat to those aboard.

If there is one fatality under any circumstances owing to their actions the charge is MURDER.

The penalty for murder on the high seas is the same for piracy...to be hung from the yardarm until you are dead.

Speedy
11-21-2008, 08:47 AM
I'll send you a box of 50 rounds. When you run out I'll send you more. They're not very expensive ya cheap bastard. :D

I've killed a goat or two back in the day and it can be done humanely. You know that.

Can't use the bullets, thank you. Ruins the brains and that is the best part. Especially rolled up in a tortilla with some avacado and onion.

I will tell you my method. Gruseome as it may be. The most common way to slaughter a goat is to have it tied up. His feet bound and then his throat is slit. It takes the poor animal a little while to die. I do not tie the goat up. Instead, I hold him standing on all fours between my legs so he can't move. I pull up his head, then I stick my very, very sharp knife into his chest right below his throat, then cut down. This splits his heart in half and he is dead before he hits the ground. Yes it is grusome, but it is effective and the goat does not suffer at all.

Sonnabend
11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
"Piracy" is defined in the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) (article 101) as follows:
"Piracy consists of any of the following acts:
(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed
(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft.
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State,
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b)."

Sonnabend
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
This as well (http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=885)

Engineers have fitted a solid steel hydraulic ram with a bulldozer-strength blade to the Sea Shepherd’s flagship, Farley Mowat, which has been stripped of its registration in Belize and could now be considered a pirate vessel under international law.

The Sea Shepherd flagship is flying the organisation’s version of the skull and crossbones — featuring a shepherd’s crook and Neptune’s trident instead of bones — but has been stripped of its registration in Belize.

According to Monash University lecturer Eric Wilson, a specialist in maritime law, by sailing without a national flag, Farley Mowat could be considered legally to be a pirate vessel.

“It can now be interdicted at will by a naval or other official vessel of any country,” Dr Wilson said. “They can arrest the crew and sink it.”

Speedy
11-21-2008, 09:01 AM

According to Monash University lecturer Eric Wilson, a specialist in maritime law, by sailing without a national flag, Farley Mowat could be considered legally to be a pirate vessel.

“It can now be interdicted at will by a naval or other official vessel of any country,” Dr Wilson said. “They can arrest the crew and sink it.”

I can hardly wait to see it happen.

Odysseus
11-21-2008, 11:21 AM
The Sea Shepherd flagship is flying the organisation’s version of the skull and crossbones — featuring a shepherd’s crook and Neptune’s trident instead of bones — but has been stripped of its registration in Belize.

The thing that gets me is that if you want to go on a crusade through piracy, why not do something that will actually save human lives? These guys claim to want to stop the war in Darfur, but interdicting weapons shipments to Sudan would go a long way towards doing that. Human trafficking uses cargo ships as a means of transport, and many of those people will be reduced to chattel slavery, but they don't seem to want to go there, either. I guess that whales are just more important than people.

M21
11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
"Piracy" is defined in the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) (article 101) as follows:
"Piracy consists of any of the following acts:
(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed
(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft.
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State,
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b)."

By your own definition the Japanese whalers are terrorists. When the Japanese whalers shoot live rounds at the Sea Sheperd and throw incendiary devices (flash bangs) they are terrorists.

M21
11-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I will tell you my method. Gruseome as it may be. The most common way to slaughter a goat is to have it tied up. His feet bound and then his throat is slit. It takes the poor animal a little while to die. I do not tie the goat up. Instead, I hold him standing on all fours between my legs so he can't move. I pull up his head, then I stick my very, very sharp knife into his chest right below his throat, then cut down. This splits his heart in half and he is dead before he hits the ground. Yes it is grusome, but it is effective and the goat does not suffer at all.

That's the way I've done it and it's humane. I don't bludgeon them to death. That's the point.

M21
11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
The thing that gets me is that if you want to go on a crusade through piracy, why not do something that will actually save human lives? These guys claim to want to stop the war in Darfur, but interdicting weapons shipments to Sudan would go a long way towards doing that. Human trafficking uses cargo ships as a means of transport, and many of those people will be reduced to chattel slavery, but they don't seem to want to go there, either. I guess that whales are just more important than people.Sounds like a great job for the nations of Australia and Japan since they both have a Navy. I guess chasing eco-terrorists :rolleyes: is more important.

Apparently the Australians can't be taken away form the important work of shooting Kangaroos and Wallabies.

Odysseus
11-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a great job for the nations of Australia and Japan since they both have a Navy. I guess chasing eco-terrorists :rolleyes: is more important.

Apparently the Australians can't be taken away form the important work of shooting Kangaroos and Wallabies.

Japan's navy is restricted to its own territorial waters by the MacArthur constitution. Australia's is used in defense of its own interests, as is every other peaceful nations. The left is constantly screaming about the need to "do something" about Darfur. Why not rig privateers to interdict the arms shipments? Oh, wait, I forgot, the Sudanese are Islamists and the left doesn't like to confront them, because they will retaliate. This is just cowardly posturing.

M21
11-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Japan's navy is restricted to its own territorial waters by the MacArthur constitution. Australia's is used in defense of its own interests, as is every other peaceful nations. The left is constantly screaming about the need to "do something" about Darfur. Why not rig privateers to interdict the arms shipments? Oh, wait, I forgot, the Sudanese are Islamists and the left doesn't like to confront them, because they will retaliate. This is just cowardly posturing.

Interestingly the Japanese are offering to amend their Constitution which would allow their Navy to go after Somali pirates.

The International Whaling Commission, with 82 nations as members, banned commercial whaling in 1986. The Japanses expect to harvet 1,000 whales this season for "research". What research? Nobody knows.

Odysseus
11-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Interestingly the Japanese are offering to amend their Constitution which would allow their Navy to go after Somali pirates.

The International Whaling Commission, with 82 nations as members, banned commercial whaling in 1986. The Japanses expect to harvet 1,000 whales this season for "research". What research? Nobody knows.

They are researching how many whales they can bag before the treaty kicks in.

Aaron Burr
11-21-2008, 03:28 PM
The research is part of an ongoing study to determine which species of whale is the tastiest. (Narwhal, Duh!)

Why don't we tell the sea Shepard people that all the whalers are hunting off Somalia? Problem solved.

Or, we could arm the whales. Maybe strap some explosives to their back. That way, all those suicidal whales that deliberately beach themselves could give their deaths some meaning.

Sonnabend
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
By your own definition the Japanese whalers are terrorists. When the Japanese whalers shoot live rounds at the Sea Shepherd and throw incendiary devices (flash bangs) they are terrorists.

Uh no, thats called self defence.

Sounds like a great job for the nations of Australia and Japan since they both have a Navy. I guess chasing eco-terrorists is more important.

M21....allow me to elucidate.There is a very useful phrase to describe the use of military force of any kind upon a foreign flag vessel in free and legal passage in international waters,protected by international law

Act of war.

Do you understand now?

Apparently the Australians can't be taken away from the important work of shooting Kangaroos and Wallabies.

1. Please do me a favour and go off and educate yourself as to the necessities of kangaroo culling to protect farm and rural areas.They are a plague in some areas, and what you don't know about our internal issues is well illustrated by this comment.

Current populations stand around the 25 million mark. This means there are similar numbers of kangaroos in Australia as there are cattle (28.7 million)

2. The Australian military does not shoot kangaroos and wallabies, as a tank round generally is considered excessive force. Not to mention messy.

M21
11-21-2008, 11:38 PM
Act of war.

Do you understand now?

Sure. No government on earth is going to stop the Japanese from violating the ban on commercial whaling. What's new. Doing what is morally right is often not popular or perhaps legal. Until an international court of law, and not you, determines that the Sea Sheperd is violating the law they will continue to drive on disrupting this illegal hunt.

2. The Australian military does not shoot kangaroos and wallabies, as a tank round generally is considered excessive force. Not to mention messy.

Oh my lying eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91HzchfJ_c

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 04:21 AM
Oh my lying eyes.

The kangaroos are on land owned by the defence forces.

The kangaroos are not culled by the military.

DUH.:rolleyes:

Number of kangaroos in Australia: 25 million.

Number of roos to be culled: 400.

Do the math.

Sure. No government on earth is going to stop the Japanese from violating the ban on commercial whaling.

There is no ban on commercial whaling in international waters. If they are not within the territory of a nation they can do as they damned well please.

What's new. Doing what is morally right is often not popular or perhaps legal.

..let me get this right. You are advocating the use of armed force on a foreign flag ship in international waters, against unarmed civilians.

Until an international court of law, and not you, determines that the Sea Shepherd is violating the law they will continue to drive on disrupting this illegal hunt.

They are already violating the law and they are eco terrorists. I sincerely hope that the next whaler they meet returns fire.

Go hug a tree.

M21
11-22-2008, 10:41 AM
The kangaroos are not culled by the military.

So you didn't watch the video. How can you come away with that attitude if you had?

There is no ban on commercial whaling in international waters. If they are not within the territory of a nation they can do as they damned well please.

Are you just being purposefully ignorant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMp2vgZXv7o

..let me get this right. You are advocating the use of armed force on a foreign flag ship in international waters, against unarmed civilians.

There are Japanese security forces on the whaling ships and the only ones with guns out there are the Japanese. Why do they have rifles? Why do they throw stun grenades? You can't hide your atrocities behind your nations flag.

They are already violating the law and they are eco terrorists. I sincerely hope that the next whaler they meet returns fire.

Returns fire? The Sea Sheperd has no weapons. There you go again being deceptive. Eco-terrorist is in the eye of the beholder. The Japanese are raping the oceans just like they did Nanking and apparently you are on of the few Australians who don't care. That's your right. Fortunately for the planet you represent a minority of Australians

Go hug a tree.Conservatives conserve the gifts God has given them. Greed is not Conservatism

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 04:03 PM
So you didn't watch the video. How can you come away with that attitude if you had? I did watch the video. They are a plague and the cull is necessary. What part of that don't you understand? I saw it all and I approve.

I also went to the ACT recently and saw the problem and think they need to cull more.

Are you just being purposefully ignorant?The whale watchers are within Australian territorial waters. Within Aust national waters whaling is illegal.

Do you see that thing in the background? That's called LAND..when you are in open ocean all you see is water.

The whalers are in international waters, where Australian law does not apply. No nation has jurisdiction to stop whalers in international waters.

Show me otherwise.

There are Japanese security forces on the whaling ships and the only ones with guns out there are the Japanese. Incorrect. Japanese ship, Japanese troops, Japanese weapons., Japanese law. Seems simple to me. They can do as they damned well please, in much the same manner as US warships have guns on them.

The Japanese are perfectly within their rights to defend themselves on the high seas. There is no law that says that crewmen on a civilian ship may not own or keep personal weapons.

There is also no law that says that a nation does not have the right to station their troops on their ships when said ships are under threat.

Matter of fact, the captain of a ship can keep whatever weapons he likes, and is authorised under international law to protect his command and his crew with whatever it takes.

The Sea Shepherd crew go armed, they have a hydraulic ram on their hull, they have sunk ships before, they have boarded ships with the intent to commit piracy.

Why do they have rifles? Why do they throw stun grenades? You can't hide your atrocities behind your nations flag.When they are attacked by a ship that is armed, in violation of international law, when said ship attacking them does not fly a national flag and flies the Jolly Roger instead, they have every right to defend themselves.

What "atrocities?" What on earth are you blabbering on about?

Greenies....*shudder*

M21
11-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I did watch the video. They are a plague and the cull is necessary. What part of that don't you understand? I saw it all and I approve. And yet you said it wasn't a cull? Doesn't it bother you at all to be dishonest? Just say what you have to say in an honest manner and we could have stopped this long ago. In fact until you do I have nothing left to say to you.

Perhaps you get some perverse clownish pleasure in jerking people off with your antics. Feel free to put me on ignore as I have little patience for "men" :rolleyes: who think it's cute to run games on others.

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
And yet you said it wasn't a cull?No, I never said that, I said the cull wasnt done by the military. It isnt. It is done by licensed professionals. The roos are on defence land.

I know it hurts your tender sensibilities, but they are a pest and need to be culled.

Returns fire? The Sea Shepherd has no weapons. Wrong.

Watson boasts of having weapons, and stated that he uses them to intimidate. He and his crew have assaulted other ships and sunk them..with little interest for the safety of the crew.

I'd call that armed.

There you go again being deceptive. Eco-terrorist is in the eye of the beholder.I call it what it is. Eco terrorism. E.L.F, Sea Shepherd, Animal Liberation..the rest of the loonies.

The Japanese are raping the oceans just like they did Nanking and apparently you are on of the few Australians who don't care. That's your right.Fortunately for the planet you represent a minority of Australians.Oh....the HUMANITY......:rolleyes:

Oh, I'd say in fact that a lot of people think the way I do.and that the Sea Shepherd are a bunch of loonies. Greenpeace are just as bad in their own way.

Watermelons...Green on the outside, red on the inside.

djones520
11-22-2008, 11:28 PM

FUCK THE WHALERS.

Whale Burgers.

I didn't take a trip up to Hokkaido to try them out while I was there, but I hear tail their pretty interesting.

Obviously there is a reason to kill whales. Otherwise the Japanese wouldn't still be allowed to do it to the limited extent that they are allowed to. It is a legitimate, legal practice. These enviro-terrorists use illegal tactics to try stop them from doing their legal work. Legal work is met by illegal impediments... I think my cognitive abilities are working fine here. I think it's yours that need to get checked out.

movie buff
11-23-2008, 07:06 AM
"And if you can't see the difference between what these people are doing and pirates I feel sorry for your cognitive abilities."

The whalers' activity, while unsavory, is legal. The ecoterrorists/pirates' activity is illegal. End of story.
btw, I support the Australian government's decision on the matter. If they did nothing to inhibit those Sea Shepherd psychos' efforts, it could harm international relations between the Australians and the Japanese.

Ecoterrorists piss me off so much. The government here in the states should do more to crack down on those freaks.

Sonnabend
11-23-2008, 07:41 AM
What "atrocities?" What on earth are you blabbering on about?